• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Row over Amazon sales of paedophile advice guide

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
A self-published guide giving advice to paedophiles that is for sale through online retailer Amazon is stirring up controversy on the internet, with some threatening to boycott the website.

The availability of the Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: a Child-lover's Code of Conduct has led to questions over scrutiny on the site.

Amazon allows authors to submit their own books and shares revenue with them.

Amazon said it did not promote criminal acts, but also avoided censorship.

Before authors are able to sell a work on the site, they are asked to read a set of guidelines, which bans offensive materials.

But Amazon does not specifically state on its website what material it deems offensive, instead saying "probably what you would expect".Source: BBC

Horrible horrible story but I can see there's little anyone can immediately do.

I just wonder however who thought any possible resulting boycott by children / children's publishers would be outweighed by the financial gain Amazon would make in sales of this "guide" to the numbers of paedophiles who would buy this book.

Just as this guy may have a right to self publish as long as he doesn't break Amazon's guidelines - there's equally no obligation on buyers to keep buying from Amazon.

I actually would like to read this book. After reading about the 170 page child molester manual that was being distributed in my state and others I think these kinds of materials would be very beneficial to people in mental health and law enforcement in understanding pedophile mentality and could go a long way in creating preventive and educational measures to protect children.

-- I think these kinds of materials would be very beneficial to people in mental health and law enforcement in understanding pedophile mentality and could go a long way in creating preventive and educational measures to protect children.

It's not quoted as an internet link but as BBC radio commentary - if I recall correctly, one of the purposes of the book is not apprently "self help" but to try and get paedophiles to act in ways to make sure they have sentences minimised if they get caught.

That's like a burglar self-publishing a book that doesn't try and offer self help and therapy to other burglars but advice on what to do when burgling a house to make sure their actions are less punishable if caught.

Personally, I hope Amazon buyers register a financial protest against the presence of this book.

It's not quoted as an internet link but as BBC radio commentary - if I recall correctly, one of the purposes of the book is not apprently "self help" but to try and get paedophiles to act in ways to make sure they have sentences minimised if they get caught.

That's like a burglar self-publishing a book that doesn't try and offer self help and therapy to other burglars but advice on what to do when burgling a house to make sure their actions are less punishable if caught.

Personally, I hope Amazon buyers register a financial protest against the presence of this book.

I'm not sure what you mean by "self help". I'm assuming this is a book for child molesters on how to be better child molesters. The fact is that this book is intelligence into the mind of the enemy. If members of a terrorist organization published a book on how to be a better terrorists, then I think it would be wise for people to read it and formulate ways to counter it in policy and preventive efforts.

I'm not sure why you would want to protest against Amazon. If anything, the more of these kind of materials become available the better law enforcement and other groups will become educated in how these people work and what measures can be taken to stop them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by "self help". I'm assuming this is a book for child molesters on how to be better child molesters. The fact is that this book is intelligence into the mind of the enemy. If members of a terrorist organization published a book on how to be a better terrorists, then I think it would be wise for people to read it and formulate ways to counter it in policy and preventive efforts.

The book offers guidance and strategy on how to "avoid falling foul of the law."

If a terrorist organisation published a book on how to be a better terrorists and then tried to publish it on something like Amazon - I'm pretty certain nobody would be talking about how our intelligence agencies should be buying the book to understand terrorists. We'd be asking what the publishing agency thought it was up to.

-- I'm not sure why you would want to protest against Amazon.

The simple element of getting legal financial proceeds from a crime. Anyhow - Amazon seem to have come to their senses and deleted the book from their ebook store.

I'm not sure why you would want to protest against Amazon. If anything, the more of these kind of materials become available the better law enforcement and other groups will become educated in how these people work and what measures can be taken to stop them.

Bold mine.

I don't know about that. I've seen CC get into it with a child molester on this forum, and I think his knowledge into the minds of paedophiles was just fine without the help of this book.

As much as I hate what this book represents...I cant in good conscience support banning it. Amazon has every right to stop carrying it, but I'm uncomfortable banning books completely.

Back
Top Bottom