• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rove Rage

cobb

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
What is the big deal? Did an administration bigwig and leading neocon philosopher, Karl Rove, give up the name of a covert CIA agent? Is it possible that this is another liberal attempt to bring down the Bush II administration by any means, much like they tried with Bush Sr. and Reagan? My take on this mess is that the Administration, with Karl Rove at the head, tried to discredit the agent’s husband for having the audacity to question the President’s information regarding Saddam Hussein’s intentions. Neoconservatives have neither the time nor patience for people who do not follow their lead, and are willing to take them down by any means necessary. Do Rove’s actions constitute a felony? No. It seems that he was simply stating information that was already well-known. Liberals will take any opportunity to throw a monkey-wrench in the works. Neocons have providing them with a great opportunity to mire our government in yet another scandal.

Last edited by a moderator:
cobb said:
What is the big deal? Did an administration bigwig and leading neocon philosopher, Karl Rove, give up the name of a covert CIA agent?
Rove is not a "neocon philosopher." he's a political strategist.

Umm what?

cobb said:
Did (...) Karl Rove, give up the name of a covert CIA agent?
(snip)
No. It seems that he was simply stating information that was already well-known.
Well-known covert information? How do those terms work together?

shuamort said:
Umm what?
Well-known covert information? How do those terms work together?
Perhaps it depends on what circles you frequent.

This is just his way of getting people to his blog...

cnredd said:
This is just his way of getting people to his blog...
Mostly, yeah.

I'm not going until he participates here. Posting OPs and leaving doesn't count.

He needs, not only to reply to people in the threads he starts, but participate in other people's threads.

After that I'll give his site a **** I mean a shot. After that i'll give his site a shot.

As a matter of fact, I"m feeling junior moddish, so I'll pm him these thoughts.

Simon W. Moon said:
Mostly, yeah.

I'm not going until he participates here. Posting OPs and leaving doesn't count.

He needs, not only to reply to people in the threads he starts, but participate in other people's threads.

After that I'll give his site a **** I mean a shot. After that i'll give his site a shot.

As a matter of fact, I"m feeling junior moddish, so I'll pm him these thoughts.

It's like he/she saying, "I don't want to know how you feel...Come to my site and read what "I" feel".

cobb said:
What is the big deal? Did an administration bigwig and leading neocon philosopher, Karl Rove, give up the name of a covert CIA agent? Is it possible that this is another liberal attempt to bring down the Bush II administration by any means, much like they tried with Bush Sr. and Reagan? My take on this mess is that the Administration, with Karl Rove at the head, tried to discredit the agent’s husband for having the audacity to question the President’s information regarding Saddam Hussein’s intentions. Neoconservatives have neither the time nor patience for people who do not follow their lead, and are willing to take them down by any means necessary. Do Rove’s actions constitute a felony? No. It seems that he was simply stating information that was already well-known. Liberals will take any opportunity to throw a monkey-wrench in the works. Neocons have providing them with a great opportunity to mire our government in yet another scandal.

If you have time, please visit Cobbtown Political Forum

I'm not sure whether you support Karl Rove's actions or not. But here is my analysis of the situation.

The U.S President is an elected U.S citizen, who is meant to represent the American people. He is not a demi-god, therefore it is every American Citizen's right to be able to question any of the directives or policies of the U.S President.

Dissent is a healthy part of any democracy. Especially crital analysis of information provided. Now the intelligence that George W. Bush presented as reasons to go to war, were sketchy, non-specific, out of date, and even some of it was written by think tanks. Now if someone from the intelligence community knows that what the President is not entirely accurate, or specific enough, isn't it that individual's responsibiltiy to share that with other American citizens? Serving you country goes past party politics. Intelligence officers don't swear an oath to defend whatever the President or current administration says.

The Karl Rove should have know better. But I suppose his do 'anything to make my team win' attitude has blinded his judgement. His actions also potentially put a CIA agent at risk.

Though the question still remains, why did so many Senators and Congressmen, not question the intelligence reports? Seems that far too many politicians feared being labeled un-patriotic.

But who is the greater patriot? The citizen that questions the intelligence, to make sure that lives are not put at risk needlessly? Or the person basis a decision to go to war based on a presumption?

Don't get me wrong, I fully support the removal of Saddam. In Australia, we got the impression that every U.S politician was just repeating the intelligence reports over and over verbatim. :(

Regarding the connection of "covert" and "well known", please follow the logic: Karl Rove is accused of "outing" a covert agent. However, it wasn't news to anyone travelling in their circles that this lady worked for the CIA. Her work as a covert op was a different story. Supporters of Karl Rove have stated that this information was "well known" because journalists had already let the cat out of the bag, prior to his statements. Who was the canary? That is the question.

Political strategist Karl Rove. OK. What about Neocon political strategist Karl Rove?

Advertising? Maybe. Will it make me any money? Nope. Will anyone really visit? Probably not. It is like an advertisement for cheap sand in the desert.

He said something that was marked secret. He is in violation of something, if anything, at least the trust of the President.

It was news to the entire country that she worked for the CIA, covertly or not, and at that time, the information that she even worked for the CIA [enter Lewis Black voice]was classified bloody secret![/exit lewis black voice]

ShamMol said:
He said something that was marked secret. He is in violation of something, if anything, at least the trust of the President.[/exit lewis black voice]
Unless the President is directly involved in this criminal act of treason.

I don't think the President had anything to do with this. No matter how much I dislike the man's policies, I don't think he is evil and manipulative enough to do this.

ShamMol said:
I don't think he is evil and manipulative enough to do this.
Oh? Hasn't he unquestionably done worse? It's somewhat tied to this, but you do remember the whole lying to justify a disasterous war, thing, right?

Back
Top Bottom