• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Round One: Machine beats man in air-combat exercise

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Now, I'm not a military man, nor am I an expert in computers and programming, so I have a question: when AI machines go to war with human, what is the most likely outcome?

1)We go to war with them and eventually win, a la Terminator, or
2)They beat us handily, plug us into a simulated reality and harvest us for food.
3)Somebody precludes the hypothetical scenario altogether by saying, "Hey, maybe Asimov was on to something with those three laws of robotics."

An artificial intelligence algorithm squared off this week against an F-16 pilot — and won.

After three days of playing chicken with enemy fighter jets piloted by computers, an algorithm designed to guide an F-16 in combat finally got to square off against a human Thursday in the finale of a three-day competition of combat simulations run by the Pentagon’s advanced research group. The final score: computer five, human zero.

https://publicintegrity.org/national-security/future-of-warfare/machine-beats-man-in-air-combat-simulations/

the_three_laws_of_robotics_2x.jpg

Last edited:
2)They beat us handily, plug us into a simulated reality and harvest us for food.

That's out... our bodies cannot produce more energy than they consume. The Matrix was very silly.

That's out... our bodies cannot produce more energy than they consume. The Matrix was very silly.

Point is they win. Quickly and easily.

On a similar note, the alien invasion movie "Skyline" flubbed at the box offices. Seems people didn't like the idea of aliens invading earth and easily beating us.

Um...dude. They're an advanced interstellar civilization. Did you really think uploading a copy of Windows 95 to the mother ship and then shooting down their ships with bullets would work?

Point is they win. Quickly and easily.

On a similar note, the alien invasion movie "Skyline" flubbed at the box offices. Seems people didn't like the idea of aliens invading earth and easily beating us.

Um...dude. They're an advanced interstellar civilization. Did you really think uploading a copy of Windows 95 to the mother ship and then shooting down their ships with bullets would work?

Oh, I get it. I had to dig at Matrix. Fun movie in its way, but damn that was a stupid plot.

Oh, I get it. I had to dig at Matrix. Fun movie in its way, but damn that was a stupid plot.

Um...the hero beats the enemy AI with Kung Fu. You're not supposed to think quite that hard about it.

In fact, the movies sabotaged themselves in the sequels by deciding to take themselves seriously. That said, I'll state an unpopular opinion: Matrix 2 was wayyyyy better than Matrix 3.

Now, I'm not a military man, nor am I an expert in computers and programming, so I have a question: when AI machines go to war with human, what is the most likely outcome?

1)We go to war with them and eventually win, a la Terminator, or
3)Somebody precludes the hypothetical scenario altogether by saying, "Hey, maybe Asimov was on to something with those three laws of robotics."

https://publicintegrity.org/national-security/future-of-warfare/machine-beats-man-in-air-combat-simulations/

View attachment 67292269

Why would the harvest us for food? Do AIs get hungry?

Who knows. Depends on how good they’re programmed, what resources they have access to, can they use those resources to replace themselves yada yada yada.

Though if I were an AI developer I’d be sure to include an “Off” switch just to be safe.

The most likely outcome is that AI will never fully take over combat and instead be used in a cooperative relationship with human military personnel.

Um...the hero beats the enemy AI with Kung Fu. You're not supposed to think quite that hard about it.

In fact, the movies sabotaged themselves in the sequels by deciding to take themselves seriously. That said, I'll state an unpopular opinion: Matrix 2 was wayyyyy better than Matrix 3.

I tend to latch onto the most comprehensive fault...

true artificial intelligence might be a technological impossibility

Back
Top Bottom