• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rouhani’s election disarrays Netanyahu’s plans: Shahir ShahidSaless

ilia786

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Four months ago, a Gallup poll asked the Iranian people, “Given the scale of the sanctions against Iran, do you think Iran should continue to develop its nuclear power capabilities, or not?” Almost two-thirds of respondents, 63 percent said, “Yes.” Only 17 percent said, “No.” And 19 percent said they did not know or refused to answer. Given the pressure resulted from draconian sanctions, why does such a majority of the Iranians still advocate the advancement of nuclear capabilities?... read full article

Four months ago, a Gallup poll asked the Iranian people, “Given the scale of the sanctions against Iran, do you think Iran should continue to develop its nuclear power capabilities, or not?” Almost two-thirds of respondents, 63 percent said, “Yes.” Only 17 percent said, “No.” And 19 percent said they did not know or refused to answer. Given the pressure resulted from draconian sanctions, why does such a majority of the Iranians still advocate the advancement of nuclear capabilities?... read full article

Probably a lot of reasons, here are some off the top of my head:

- The poll is not specific about nuclear power for civilian use or building a bomb.
- People may look at iraq and North Korea and understand if you are a nuclear power it is less likely some outside power will try and attack you.
-After 30+ years of rule under a theocracy they believe that Shia need to control their region and try and destroy Israel.
-In times of external attack, I would put sanctions in that category, people tend to be more patriotic and "rally around the flag".

Probably a lot of reasons, here are some off the top of my head:

- The poll is not specific about nuclear power for civilian use or building a bomb.
- People may look at iraq and North Korea and understand if you are a nuclear power it is less likely some outside power will try and attack you.
-After 30+ years of rule under a theocracy they believe that Shia need to control their region and try and destroy Israel.
-In times of external attack, I would put sanctions in that category, people tend to be more patriotic and "rally around the flag".

lets see what the author think:

"In Iranian culture, pride plays a deep-rooted role in politics. This sentiment is rooted in their enduring civilization and cultural heritage. Kamal Kharrazi, Iran's former foreign minister rightfully said that, "No government [in Iran] can relinquish an issue that has gained it national pride." Hence, anyone who surrenders the nuclear project would be vulnerable to charges of selling out Iran's dignity. "

lets see what the author think:

"In Iranian culture, pride plays a deep-rooted role in politics. This sentiment is rooted in their enduring civilization and cultural heritage. Kamal Kharrazi, Iran's former foreign minister rightfully said that, "No government [in Iran] can relinquish an issue that has gained it national pride." Hence, anyone who surrenders the nuclear project would be vulnerable to charges of selling out Iran's dignity. "

Yes I would add that to my list if I had thought about it. Iran has a long, great history of which they are rightfully proud. I personally wish that their leader would be more accepting of others. But that is a different issue. Don't mean to divert the thread.

Back
Top Bottom