• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roughly 80% of all voters say U.S. needs secure borders, including 68% of Democrats: Harvard poll

Grokmaster

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Looks like Americans are smarter than their Democrat representatives in DC give them credit for:

Roughly 80% of all voters say U.S. needs secure borders, including 68% of Democrats: Harvard poll

A wide-reaching new poll conducted by Harvard University reveals that majorities of U.S. voters — including Democrats — appear to agree with many of President Trump’s most basic beliefs about immigration.

The findings reveal, for example, that eight out of 10 of all U.S. voters — 79 percent — say the U.S. needs secure borders; 93 percent of Republicans, 80 percent of independents and 68 percent of Democrats agree with that.

In addition, 61 percent overall say U.S. border security is inadequate; 84 percent of Republicans, 64 percent of independents and 40 percent of Democrats agree. Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...MSvncdWBq-27thpCJ1fhKrEqPSKoVFuJ3RwYa8F_yrQrM

I'm one of those Democrats who is in favor of more border security.
I also happen to be one of those Democrats who is convinced by Trump's hostage drama that not one penny would ever go anywhere but his pockets.

Prior to that stunt, Donald might have convinced me to support his idea, even going so far as to maybe support asking for MORE than five billion.
Now, after he shut down the government for almost a month, not a PENNY and NO wall until he leaves Washington.

I also happen to be one of those Democrats who is convinced by Trump's hostage drama that not one penny would ever go anywhere but his pockets.

Prior to that stunt, Donald might have convinced me to support his idea, even going so far as to maybe support asking for MORE than five billion.
Now, after he shut down the government for almost a month, not a PENNY and NO wall until he leaves Washington.

You having an bad personal reaction to Trump is a really bad reason for America to not do what should be done for the good of America.

You do understand this......

RIGHT?

You having an bad personal reaction to Trump is a really bad reason for America to not do what should be done for the good of America.

You do understand this......

RIGHT?

I already stated my reasons, I don't believe a single penny would ever go anywhere but his pockets.

The White House is soliciting (via email) donations to "Secure the Border Wall Fund" but the donating info leads directly into the Trump campaign’s joint fundraising committee with the Republican National Committee. It does not fund the wall at all!

READ DISCLAIMER: "The maximum amount an individual may contribute is $2,700 per election. Your contribution (up to $2,700) will be designated for the primary election. The next $2,700 will be designated for the general election."

So, it's not "my bad personal reaction", it's a reaction based on factual evidence in hand.
I already stated that I am not against doing more to improve border security, or even building more walls.
I just don't believe that Trump ever intended to do anything but stuff his pockets and attempt to screw with House Democrats as a publicity stunt. (at the expense of hard working Americans who don't deserve to have their paychecks withheld)

So, you can take what I said at face value or you can cram it. I really couldn't care less which one you choose to do.

By the way, here's a question for the both of you...whatever happened to all those troops he sent to the border just before the November elections?

Fox News spent more than 33 hours discussing the caravan through Election Day, according to a study by Media Matters, a progressive media watchdog organization. On Nov. 7, the day after the election, Fox had no discussions centered on the caravan. On Nov. 8, the network spent four minutes and 57 seconds on discussions centered on the caravan, according to the study.

BULLSHITLOGO1.jpg

Looks like Americans are smarter than their Democrat representatives in DC give them credit for:

A wide-reaching new poll conducted by Harvard University reveals that majorities of U.S. voters — including Democrats — appear to agree with many of President Trump’s most basic beliefs about immigration.

The findings reveal, for example, that eight out of 10 of all U.S. voters — 79 percent — say the U.S. needs secure borders; 93 percent of Republicans, 80 percent of independents and 68 percent of Democrats agree with that.

In addition, 61 percent overall say U.S. border security is inadequate; 84 percent of Republicans, 64 percent of independents and 40 percent of Democrats agree. Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...MSvncdWBq-27thpCJ1fhKrEqPSKoVFuJ3RwYa8F_yrQrM

Yet most Americans don't want a wall, you forgot to mention that. Wanting border security does not mean that we all want to try to fix it in the most expensive, least effective, and dumbest way possible.

A walled border isn't the same thing as a secured border. It's fallacious to equate the two.

Secure borders does not equate to trumps wall.

tumblr_ple7zjucrC1qzssc1_500.jpg

Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

Thank you for pointing out more tRump lies....

It does appear the American voters don't buy into the tRump BS....

First tRump tried to make some 'invasion' a 'crisis' but instead drove voters solidly into the Democrat camp in the House

Next the poll shows Democrats don't want 'open' borders- another tRump lie

And finally that support for some barrier (do note the poll combines a democrat supported electronic surveillance system) is tepid at best- important swing independents drop almost 30%, democrats in half but koolaid drinking Republican'ts only dropped 7%... :roll:

I already stated my reasons, I don't believe a single penny would ever go anywhere but his pockets.

The White House is soliciting (via email) donations to "Secure the Border Wall Fund" but the donating info leads directly into the Trump campaign’s joint fundraising committee with the Republican National Committee. It does not fund the wall at all!

READ DISCLAIMER: "The maximum amount an individual may contribute is $2,700 per election. Your contribution (up to $2,700) will be designated for the primary election. The next $2,700 will be designated for the general election."

So, it's not "my bad personal reaction", it's a reaction based on factual evidence in hand.
I already stated that I am not against doing more to improve border security, or even building more walls.
I just don't believe that Trump ever intended to do anything but stuff his pockets and attempt to screw with House Democrats as a publicity stunt. (at the expense of hard working Americans who don't deserve to have their paychecks withheld)

So, you can take what I said at face value or you can cram it. I really couldn't care less which one you choose to do.

You do know that if Congress appropriates funds for The Wall that it goes TO the wall and not Trumps pockets right? And the site that you link to does not say anywhere that the money will go to the wall?

Yet most Americans don't want a wall, you forgot to mention that. Wanting border security does not mean that we all want to try to fix it in the most expensive, least effective, and dumbest way possible.

A walled border isn't the same thing as a secured border. It's fallacious to equate the two.

Secure borders does not equate to trumps wall.

I think you all forgot to read what was quoted in the quote box fully....

Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

What kind of physical barrier do you think is being talked about?

Actually Donald changes so many times and so quickly that there is no telling what he is talking about at this point which is why funding this mythical wall by subverting process and under coercion makes NO SENSE.

Where in the article does it show support of the size and length of trumps wall? Hint, it doesn’t. Don’t know why you all seem to cling to trumps wall but your word smithing still doesn’t change the fact the majority of Americans are against trumps wall.

Where in the article does it show support of the size and length of trumps wall? Hint, it doesn’t. Don’t know why you all seem to cling to trumps wall but your word smithing still doesn’t change the fact the majority of Americans are against trumps wall.

What size of a wall does Trump want? Can you quote him on it?

Conflating border walls with border security. Another Grokmaster fail.

Oh, you mean the troops who were pulled away from their families at Thanksgiving to prop up Trump’s fictional “invasion”, costing American taxpayers over $200M?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2076399002
Nothing.

Same here....I am all for securing the borders. I want more of everything that's needed. But I was talking to my husband and a few friends about this and I for one believe if we allow 5+ billion to into a fund for wall border security whatever at least a billion will be funneled to Trump and co.
I sincerely believe the initial 1.3b has sat unused because Trump can't find anyone to go along with his kickback scheme for a piddly 1.3 but add 5 more to that....more incentive?
Why do you think all the major good reputation construction, architectural firms are staying away?
Trumps doing exactly what his voters want.
The Dems are doing exactly what their voters want.
No slush fund for Trump!

I also happen to be one of those Democrats who is convinced by Trump's hostage drama that not one penny would ever go anywhere but his pockets.Prior to that stunt, Donald might have convinced me to support his idea, even going so far as to maybe support asking for MORE than five billion.

Mot ridiculous statement of the month. (bolded)

Miss this?

~ Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.~

Please explain the difference to THESE PEOPLE:

Thank you for pointing out more tRump lies....

It does appear the American voters don't buy into the tRump BS....

First tRump tried to make some 'invasion' a 'crisis' but instead drove voters solidly into the Democrat camp in the House

Next the poll shows Democrats don't want 'open' borders- another tRump lie

And finally that support for some barrier (do note the poll combines a democrat supported electronic surveillance system) is tepid at best- important swing independents drop almost 30%, democrats in half but koolaid drinking Republican'ts only dropped 7%... :roll:

Yaaaawnnnnn….

~Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

Spiritual, apparently.

Back
Top Bottom