• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rotting fruit, spoiled vegetables: How Texas just made the supply chain even worse

Looks like everybody's produce is about to get more expensive. It's not every day that an American politician can take the blame for being single handled responsible for inflation, but Governor Abbot pulled it off.

This is what Republicans with power looks like.

A weeklong protest by Texas Gov. Greg Abbott against President Biden's recent immigration policy reached a resolution on Friday, but the gridlock it created has resulted in hundreds of millions of lost dollars and delays in shipments of everything from avocados to automobile parts that will have a longer-term impact.

On Friday, Abbott reversed course on an order he put in place last week that required lengthier "enhanced safety inspections" of commercial vehicles entering Texas. The efforts, he said, were to help stop the flow of illegal contraband and human trafficking.

Abbott's move, which Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller criticized as "political theater," ultimately created a logjam of trucks between the US and its largest goods trading partner. Vegetable producers say their produce is spoiling in idling trucks and they are losing hundreds of millions of dollars.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signs a border security agreement with Chihuahua Gov. Maru Campos Galvan in Austin, Texas on Thursday.

Typical hit job...and not a mention of the MEXICAN truckers blocking both north and south bound lanes at the border crossings.

This is the kind of stuff the propaganda media pushes at you...and useful idiots love it.

It's time for the federal government to open the international trade routes by whatever means are necessary.
Really?

You want the federal government to send in the troops to clear out the Mexican trucker blockade?

Republicans and Conservatives don't eat Avocados?
Have a nice day
I have to ask...did you think to yourself, "What's the dumbest ****ing interpretation I can make out of this comment?", because that's what it looks like you did.

Typical hit job...and not a mention of the MEXICAN truckers blocking both north and south bound lanes at the border crossings.

This is the kind of stuff the propaganda media pushes at you...and useful idiots love it.

Yep.

Well one thing I think we've learned here is that letting millions of dollars of produce spoil isn't a solution. And I would ****ing wager that the majority of the suppliers transporting our food have already been vetted.
No...what you've learned is that having an admin who's policies make border issues a bigger problem and that they don't want to enforce the laws on the books.

OMG! It took about a week (of disrupted truck traffic) for Abbott to get the bordering Mexican states to agree to help reduce the volume of the cartel‘s illegal cross border activity.
It's a bit early to start celebrating. I personally would like to see some results before I hug and kiss Abbott.

No...what you've learned is that having an admin who's policies make border issues a bigger problem and that they don't want to enforce the laws on the books.
Abbott held up millions of dollars of produce just so he could point fingers at the president. Most if not all of these suppliers have already been vetted with proper paperwork.

I have to ask...did you think to yourself, "What's the dumbest ****ing interpretation I can make out of this comment?", because that's what it looks like you did.
the way YOU talked it was like you were putting all the blame on Liberals for eating Avocados?
I just ask don't republicans and Conservatives eat them too
Have a nice day

As the Biden Administration has made the decision to relax border security, it would seem the states are seeing the need to fill the void.
The objective of Gov Abbot seems to have been to force the Mexican trucking companies to put pressure on the Mexican state governments to increase security on their side of the border.
It seems to have worked. All the Mexican states which border Texas have announced increased security on their side, and Gov Abbot has ended the enhanced inspections on his side.

Which truckers?

Even The Hill is being disingenuous. In their article they make a reference to the Mexican truckers...

Since Monday, Mexican truckers have blocked the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge in protest after Abbott last week directed state troopers to stop and inspect trucks coming into Texas.​

...and that's it. Nothing else about them. No interviews. No commentary about them bringing trucking traffic to a standstill.

Instead, they talk about Abbott.

Even The Hill is being disingenuous. In their article they make a reference to the Mexican truckers...

Since Monday, Mexican truckers have blocked the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge in protest after Abbott last week directed state troopers to stop and inspect trucks coming into Texas.​

...and that's it. Nothing else about them. No interviews. No commentary about them bringing trucking traffic to a standstill.

Instead, they talk about Abbott.

Do you any doubt as to what the Mexican truckers (participating in the blockade) were protesting?

Really?

You want the federal government to send in the troops to clear out the Mexican trucker blockade?
I'm sure there are measures to try before that's necessary. Perhaps the governor can be convinced to stop blocking international trade by other means.

I wonder how "down" Republicans would be with Democrats taking the country's economy hostage until the country pays more attention to the January 6 hearings or voter suppression. My guess is they would suddenly remember that hostage takers are normally considered the bad guys.

Of course, the completely predictable response to this is "But Cardinal, Democrats are taking the country's economy hostage lolol1!"

You have no reason for saying that, so be quiet. Democrats didn't...say...deliberately hold up trade in order to drive up inflation in order to hurt Republicans in the midterms.

Are you going to pay attention to the border problem now?
That's like if climate activists torched a refinery and said "are you going to pay attention to the climate crisis now?"

Back
Top Bottom