• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rooney likely to land with bitter rival Man City

Gray_Fox_86

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Rooney likely to land with bitter rival Man City
Martin Rogers

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports 15 hours, 43 minutes ago

retweet
* Email
* Print

Manchester United fears it will be left with little choice but to sell Wayne Rooney to its big-spending crosstown rival, Manchester City, according to two sources close to the club.

United, which defeated Turkish club Bursaspor 1-0 in Champions League play on Wednesday, was rocked to the core by a pre-match statement from Rooney that confirmed that the England forward wants to quit the club.
Wayne Rooney (with manager Alex Ferguson) said he wants to leave Manchester United because the club could no longer attract top players.
(Shaun Botterill/Getty Images)

After Rooney cited concerns over the Red Devils’ financial future and their “continued ability … to attract the top players in the world,” United now has little option but to cash in on him during the January transfer window, before his contract is allowed to run down and his value decreases.
More From Martin Rogers

* Rooney can foil United with legal loophole Oct 19, 2010
* Rooney's Man U days could be numbered Oct 18, 2010

ADVERTISEMENT

That leaves Manchester City as the most likely destination, as it is bankrolled by Arabian billionaire Sheikh Mansour and has more readily available cash than any other team in the world.

And while other clubs such as English Premier League champion Chelsea and Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona also would be interested, there is a growing belief that Rooney’s preferred option would be a move just down the road.

“That would be a nightmare situation for United, but it is a nightmare that became a lot more probable over the last few days,” said an EPL source who has worked closely with United.

“Would they want to sell him to City? Of course not. It would be a blow to everyone – the fans, the players, not to mention giving a huge lift to their local rivals. But it is a business, make no mistake about that, and City is in pole position to make the best and most lucrative offer. If that is the case, then that is where he will go.”

Rooney also could dramatically increase his salary at City, which last summer made Yaya Toure the highest-paid player in the EPL, enjoying a weekly wage of around $306,903.17 (USD). Rooney was offered $285,915.35 per week to stay at United before contract talks broke down, according to Sky Sports News.

Yet the 24-year-old, who established himself as one of the world’s top players last season before a drastic dip in form, insists that his reasons for moving on are not motivated by money.

“I met with [Manchester United chief executive] David Gill last week, and he did not give me any of the assurances I was seeking about the future squad,” said Rooney. “For me it’s all about winning trophies.”

Manchester City’s pedigree cannot match that of United or any of the other teams that would be interested in signing Rooney. However, the financial power of Sheikh Mansour can’t be underestimated, and indications are that City’s ownership group will stop at nothing to turn the club into one of the most successful in Europe.

That means spending money – and lots of it.

City’s money puts them at the front of the race to sign Rooney, “and United knows that,” said a second source close to the club. “It is going to be a case of getting over the emotional and unsavory part of it and getting the highest price possible.”

The blue and red Manchester divide is one that rarely is crossed, although Carlos Tevez did effectively pave the way by making that switch 15 months ago.

Personal factors also come into play with Rooney, with serious doubts over whether he could and would be able settle overseas, with a different language and culture. Chelsea is a viable EPL option, however Rooney has spent his entire life in northwest England and relocation to London may not appeal to him.

Furthermore, Rooney is attempting to save his marriage to wife Coleen after much-publicized liaisons with a prostitute. Coleen Rooney’s 12-year-old sister Rosie suffers from Rett Syndrome, a neurological and developmental disorder, and recently suffered complications; it is highly unlikely that Coleen would want to leave the area.

We take a look at the possible destinations where Rooney could end up:
Manchester City's billionaire owner, Sheikh Mansour, could lure Rooney across town.
(AP Photo)

Manchester City

Why: It is close, ambitious and laden with the money needed to both satisfy Rooney’s wage demands and pay for the player investment he wanted at United. And, if Rooney is feeling bitter toward Sir Alex Ferguson and United, this would be the ultimate payback.

Why not: Such a move would make him a pariah among United fans and be considered the ultimate sacrilege at Old Trafford. But does Rooney really strike you as the sentimental type?

Odds: 60 percent

Chelsea

Why: Carlo Ancelotti would love to add Rooney to his lineup, especially with Chelsea’s outstanding frontline, led by Didier Drogba, advancing in years. Signing him would serve the handy extra purpose of shredding United’s title hopes.

Why not: Money could be an issue. Despite Roman Abramovich’s billions, the Russian has tried to curtail recent spending. Paying Rooney monstrous wages could prompt several current players to knock on the door and politely request a salary increase.

Odds: 20 percent

Real Madrid

Why: Jose Mourinho admitted he would love to sign Rooney – but believes the striker will work through his problems and remain at United. Real Madrid loves its Galá ;cticos, and Rooney would certainly fit that category.

Why not: Recent spending has been slow, and club officials have insisted that winter spending will not happen on any significant level.

Odds: 12 percent

Barcelona

Why: Like any other soccer fan, Rooney loves the way Barcelona plays and the chance to link up with Lionel Messi, Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta would certainly be enough to pique his interest.

Why not: Barca is currently wracked with internal strife and is unlikely to sanction any big signings until a thorough investigation of its finances is complete.

Odds: 6 percent

Others

Why: From a purely soccer standpoint, Arsenal would be a solid option. And if Rooney wanted to put his recent woes behind him with a complete change of scenery, then either AC or Inter Milan may hold some appeal.

Why not: Not enough money, not the right lifestyle choice.

Odds: 2 percent

Rooney likely to land with bitter rival Man City - World Soccer - Yahoo! Sports

I am so excited that Rooney is leaving Man United. They are really sucking and Rooney deserves to be playing with a team that is up and coming to greatness.

He won't leave, it's all bull.

just watch. he will leave!

Good call! Talk about cynical negotiating technique. I'm so glad he isn't coming to City.

I think he just wanted more money, being jealous of his former teammate Christiano Ronaldo.
It's like when you want to get a better deal with your satellite/cellular/internet/etc company, so you tell them that you're going to leave them for their competition and they immediately offer you a way better deal so you would stay with them.

I think he just wanted more money, being jealous of his former teammate Christiano Ronaldo.
It's like when you want to get a better deal with your satellite/cellular/internet/etc company, so you tell them that you're going to leave them for their competition and they immediately offer you a way better deal so you would stay with them.

Think you are wrong there. I smell a rat. I have a very funny feeling that Rooney and Fergie played a fast one on the American owners. Fergie knew, that if Rooney left, then the Glazers would be next, and atm Man U is the only thing that is keeping the whole Glazer family from going belly up. The Glazers had no choice but to bow to Rooney and Fergie.... remember one of the "issues" Rooney had, was that the team was not strong enough because of lack of funds, which is something Fergie has been "non commenting" on for ages. And since I would wager Rooney got a promise of more money for player buying, something that Fergie would not be against .. his team is getting very very old, and his midfield needs replacing.

Rooney is a disgrace to the Beautiful Game. Pompous, self centred little bitch. **** him.

Hope he ends up at Blackpool FC...

Rooney is a disgrace to the Beautiful Game. Pompous, self centred little bitch. **** him.

Hope he ends up at Blackpool FC...

Rooney is one of the best players...ever!

Think you are wrong there. I smell a rat. I have a very funny feeling that Rooney and Fergie played a fast one on the American owners. Fergie knew, that if Rooney left, then the Glazers would be next, and atm Man U is the only thing that is keeping the whole Glazer family from going belly up. The Glazers had no choice but to bow to Rooney and Fergie.... remember one of the "issues" Rooney had, was that the team was not strong enough because of lack of funds, which is something Fergie has been "non commenting" on for ages. And since I would wager Rooney got a promise of more money for player buying, something that Fergie would not be against .. his team is getting very very old, and his midfield needs replacing.

Interesting theory and plausible were it not for the very real disagreements that came to light between SAF and Rooney (or Baconface and Shrek as they are better known). Rooney DID contradict Ferguson's schtick about his injuries, that's not media invention. Of course, it could be a part of the whole drama, but wouldn't that be a little too cynical, even for them?

When was the last time he played a good match? Frankly, he wouldn't get into the Blackpool first team on current form.

That is not his fault. He still has not recovered mentally from his injury and personal life.

That is not his fault. He still has not recovered mentally from his injury and personal life.

I see, it's not his fault he likes to visit hookers, despite being a married father. It's the fault of the media that this has disrupted his home life, is it? How come even bigger stars than Rooney can keep their noses clean and just play football. I'm thinking of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol. They can do it; why can't he?

I see, it's not his fault he likes to visit hookers, despite being a married father. It's the fault of the media that this has disrupted his home life, is it? How come even bigger stars than Rooney can keep their noses clean and just play football. I'm thinking of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Puyol. They can do it; why can't he?

.....b/c Rooney is English and they naturally are inferior?

Interesting theory and plausible were it not for the very real disagreements that came to light between SAF and Rooney (or Baconface and Shrek as they are better known). Rooney DID contradict Ferguson's schtick about his injuries, that's not media invention. Of course, it could be a part of the whole drama, but wouldn't that be a little too cynical, even for them?

Short answer.. no. There was an investigation into Man U and the Glazers and it found that the only thing that was profitable in their "empire" was Man U. They basically are using Man U as an ATM. Sir Alex has also for some time been, at least according to rumour, very troubled with the lack of backing he is getting in the transfer market. The only thing that could force the Glazers hand would be the loss of their top star, because that would hit Man U on the bottom line in many ways and hence their own ATM machine, not to mention possibly force them out. So I have no doubt that Rooney and Sir Alex were behind this, because it was suddenly fixed "very fast" once it got out that Rooney was leaving.... too fast if you ask me.

Short answer.. no. There was an investigation into Man U and the Glazers and it found that the only thing that was profitable in their "empire" was Man U. They basically are using Man U as an ATM. Sir Alex has also for some time been, at least according to rumour, very troubled with the lack of backing he is getting in the transfer market. The only thing that could force the Glazers hand would be the loss of their top star, because that would hit Man U on the bottom line in many ways and hence their own ATM machine, not to mention possibly force them out. So I have no doubt that Rooney and Sir Alex were behind this, because it was suddenly fixed "very fast" once it got out that Rooney was leaving.... too fast if you ask me.

Nothing will undermine the value of their stock like losing the league and CL, and badly. Here's hoping!

At least they still can win games... /fleee

Ha ha, bloody haa! Just proves the strength in depth of the EPL. Can you imagine FCB, RMA or Valencia losing to the likes of Almería, Málaga or Sporting? Me neither.

That ^^^**** is weak, I know, but you have to clutch at straws sometimes.

Ha ha, bloody haa! Just proves the strength in depth of the EPL. Can you imagine FCB, RMA or Valencia losing to the likes of Almería, Málaga or Sporting? Me neither.

That ^^^**** is weak, I know, but you have to clutch at straws sometimes.

Actually I can. Valencia drew yesterday with Almeria, and Malaga drew against Real on last day last season. Malaga also beat Barcelona a few seasons ago, as well as Real Madrid.

Face it, the reason that City could not play/win yesterday was based on internal issues... Adabayor has probably played his last game I suspect. There is no harmony in the team on the pitch and that means they cant score even though they get a ton of chances.

Actually I can. Valencia drew yesterday with Almeria, and Malaga drew against Real on last day last season. Malaga also beat Barcelona a few seasons ago, as well as Real Madrid.
No, Valencia drew with Zaragoza yesterday. Almería play Atlético today, in Madrid, and will lose.

Face it, the reason that City could not play/win yesterday was based on internal issues... Adabayor has probably played his last game I suspect. There is no harmony in the team on the pitch and that means they cant score even though they get a ton of chances.

Aren't defeats always to do with internal issues? At least whenever you lose to a team that is inferior, on paper to your own? Not sure what kind of point you're making. City are doing just fine considering that half the team that played yesterday have played an average of 7.6 league matches for the club. Nevertheless, played 10, won 5, drawn 2, lost 3 and 4th place in the league is not bad by any standards.

No, Valencia drew with Zaragoza yesterday. Almería play Atlético today, in Madrid, and will lose.

Pft you know what I mean.

Aren't defeats always to do with internal issues?

No far from.. the other team can be better, one team can have an off day and so on.

At least whenever you lose to a team that is inferior, on paper to your own?

No. Off days DO happen. Luck is also involved. We have all seen games where the goalkeeper was having the game of his life for example.

Not sure what kind of point you're making.

My point is that Kompany and Adebayor almost got into a fist fight and then Adebayor was take off the pitch. My point is that Carlos Tevez is shopping around for a new club. My point is that Tevez and others have "issues" with the Manager. Add to that the rumours ..

City are doing just fine considering that half the team that played yesterday have played an average of 7.6 league matches for the club. Nevertheless, played 10, won 5, drawn 2, lost 3 and 4th place in the league is not bad by any standards.

OH I agree! Considering their past (20+ years) City are doing great. But considering the money spent and the amount of world class players.. then they are not doing "great". Had this been Real Madrid, then the manager would be under huge pressure and like it or not Man City are up there with Real Madrid when it is about money.

Back
Top Bottom