• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ronald Reagan's Long-Hidden Racist Conversation with Richard Nixon

ALiberalModerate

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The day after the United Nations voted to recognize the People’s Republic of China, then–California Governor Ronald Reagan phoned President Richard Nixon at the White House and vented his frustration at the delegates who had sided against the United States. “Last night, I tell you, to watch that thing on television as I did,” Reagan said. “Yeah,” Nixon interjected. Reagan forged ahead with his complaint: “To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they’re still uncomfortable wearing shoes!” Nixon gave a huge laugh.

Read more here: Ronald Reagan's Racist Conversation With Richard Nixon - The Atlantic

I never thought Reagan was a racist until now. Pretty damning audio. We have to judge it by how people unfortunately would talk at the time, but it's still a pretty racist vent.

You never thought Ronald 'introduce-gun-control-when-blacks-open-carry' Reagan was racist?

Just here to watch the "what's racist about that?" crowd show up.

giphy.gif

You never thought Ronald 'introduce-gun-control-when-blacks-open-carry' Reagan was racist?

Ha, good point. I just remember Reagan as the soft spoken grandpa after the Challenger Disaster.

Just here to watch the "what's racist about that?" crowd show up.

giphy.gif

Sometimes they have to wait until they get some half assed rationalizations off of Fox News or talk radio.

Yeah, this isn't really surprising when taking an objective look at the Reagan legacy.

Read more here: Ronald Reagan's Racist Conversation With Richard Nixon - The Atlantic

I never thought Reagan was a racist until now.

Now that I don't understand. He used to attack black skinned people using the Southern Strategy, called them "Young Bucks" and "Welfare Queens", instead of n******, but we all knew who he was talking about. And he promised white America they weren't going to be part of America's prosperity.

I grew up in an ethnically diverse corner of Canada, and we all despised Reagan.

Even then it was obvious the racists were gathering under the Republican banner.

Last edited:
Some people got no sense of humor. :2razz:

I never thought Reagan was a racist until now. Pretty damning audio. We have to judge it by how people unfortunately would talk at the time, but it's still a pretty racist vent.

Not 'at the time' in my opinion, republicans are still talking that way and worse until this very day.

not surprised. Nixon and Reagan's southern strategy they successfully employed is a large reason why white southerners left the Democrats for the party of Lincoln. They are also part of the reason why the GOP base has embraced a race baiting sack of crap like Donald Trump as their leader.

Now that I don't understand. He used to attack black skinned people using the Southern Strategy, called them "Young Bucks" and "Welfare Queens", instead of n******, but we all knew who he was talking about. And he promised white America they weren't going to be part of America's prosperity.

I grew up in an ethnically diverse corner of Canada, and we all despised Reagan.

Even then it was obvious the racists were gathering under the Republican banner.

don't forget this:Reagan's Neshoba County Fair "states' rights" speech - Wikipedia

Reagan only looks somewhat decent these days because of the garbage GOP presidents that followed him, specifically Bush Jr. and the current trash that's in office now.

Lets dig him up and give him a beating.

***back to daily live***

So history doesn't matter? We have nothing to learn from it? Hell I guess if Bill Cosby had dropped dead of a heart attack 10 years ago, we could all ignore his transgressions and continue to watch Cosby Show reruns. I mean thats your **** logic here.

not surprised. Nixon and Reagan's southern strategy they successfully employed is a large reason why white southerners left the Democrats for the party of Lincoln. They are also part of the reason why the GOP base has embraced a race baiting sack of crap like Donald Trump as their leader.

I remember working at an Industrial plant in the South, in the early '80s, and a large number of the employees refused to take off for the MLK holiday.

Lets dig him up and give him a beating.

***back to daily live***

I do notice you do this for every thread that brings up an issue.

Who cares, they are both dead. It occurred 50 years ago.
If the post is a got you moment where someone makes a stupid comment like all republicans are racist and it just shows how racist Trump is.
If that is what this post is all about, let’s go back in history and talk about republicans freeing the slaves, and the racist southern democrats and KKK Senator Byrd, and the list goes on.

Who cares, they are both dead. It occurred 50 years ago.
If the post is a got you moment where someone makes a stupid comment like all republicans are racist and it just shows how racist Trump is.
If that is what this post is all about, let’s go back in history and talk about republicans freeing the slaves, and the racist southern democrats and KKK Senator Byrd, and the list goes on.

I care. The OP makes a great point. Republicans embraced racism to capture the Southern vote. Abraham Lincoln would not be a Republican today. Ronald Reagan would not even make through the Republican Primary.

Reagan_Gun_Control.jpg

I care. The OP makes a great point. Republicans embraced racism to capture the Southern vote. Abraham Lincoln would not be a Republican today. Ronald Reagan would not even make through the Republican Primary.

View attachment 67260960

Good for you.
Another day and you found another person to call racist.
Can’t wait until tomorrow. I’m sure you will find another racist in history or current day who you don’t agree with their politics or policies.
I think we are up to 51 million racist in the country.
Racism is alive and well in the country because of people like you.

I don't know. Perhaps we're way too thin skinned today looking for racism around every corner especially from those who have differing points of view. If one wants to view Reagan racist, that's fine, I don't care. But he'll always be either the third or best president in my lifetime behind IKE and JFK.

Now I've said things against every race and probably against every nationality in my lifetime that certainly would be considered racist and bigoted today. Am I a racist? I suppose that for others to decide. I have been called one on this very site for disagreeing with a couple of policies put for by Obama. In their eyes I could only be against those couple of policies because Obama was a black man. My differing politics or political point of view never was considered. I never let that bother me.

If you seen what some of my friends called me and I they of other races and nationalities, whoever overheard that would certainly think racist. Yet I'd give up my life for them and they me. Perhaps it is coming from a different era, a generational thing. When racial and nationality jokes were the norm. A time way before political correctness.

If what people say bothers you, just stay away from me and my friends. Us old foggies aren't going to change. Just color us racist and bigots. Personally, I think actions always speak louder than words. My whole life has been military, regardless of what we call each other, we will always be comrades in arms, brothers and sisters in uniform. Always willing to defend and protect them, to keep them safe even if that means dying yourself.

View attachment 67260960

This is great news for you. You can go find other monuments to tear down.
George Washington would not have made it through the primaries either.

Will known racist Biden make it through the primaries?

What will you say if the allegations against MLK are true?
You will say that’s different.

This is great news for you. You can go find other monuments to tear down.
George Washington would not have made it through the primaries either.

Will known racist Biden make it through the primaries?

What will you say if the allegations against MLK are true?
You will say that’s different.

Maybe you missed the original link. Reagan said, “To see those, those monkeys from those African countries—damn them, they’re still uncomfortable wearing shoes!” Nixon gave a huge laugh.

I think we can agree that was a racist comment. Does one comment make somebody a racist? I would say no. Throughout people's lives, people change, and they also experience a soul-searching change in heart. Perhaps you should try to demonstrate Reagan's change of heart, instead of deflecting to Biden, MLK, or me.

Back
Top Bottom