• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ron Paul Wins Presidential Straw Poll at CPAC

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I would vote for him if got the nomination, but it's too early for me to decide.

I was hoping to see a true Statesman emerge in the run up to the primary elections, and so far I don't see anyone who is a stand out.

It's clear it has to be someone who could beat Obama or who ever gets the Democrat nomination in the case Obama keeps falling in the polls because he hasn't yet learned that pretending he's our dictator against the majority of American opinions is no way to win re-election.

Ron Paul Wins Presidential Straw Poll at CPAC -- Again - FoxNews.com
For the second year in a row, Ron Paul won the presidential straw poll at the annual Conservative Political Action Conference, earning 30 percent of the vote.

The Texas congressman, known for his libertarian views, ran for president in 2008 but was never a serious contender for the GOP nomination.

No matter how many times the guy wins the CPAC poll, he has absolutely zero chance of winning the general election or even the reppublican nomination. I agree with Donald Trump in this.

One need not have a broad base of support in order to win a straw poll. However, one needs a sufficiently broad base of support to be nominated as the Democratic or Republican Party's candidate for President. IMO, Congressman Paul will face exactly the same problem he did in 2008--lack of broad-based appeal--should he seek the Presidential nomination. As a result, he is not likely to win the Republican nomination for President.

Election season has officially started. Only 21 months to go!

One need not have a broad base of support in order to win a straw poll. However, one needs a sufficiently broad base of support to be nominated as the Democratic or Republican Party's candidate for President. IMO, Congressman Paul will face exactly the same problem he did in 2008--lack of broad-based appeal--should he seek the Presidential nomination. As a result, he is not likely to win the Republican nomination for President.

Oh please, Ron Paul was impeded by a number of factors, like the media deliberately belittling his candidacy, and notoriety obviously. However, far more people know about Ron Paul now and polling clearly reflects that. Also, he can do like his son and take advantage of the Tea Party energy. Unfortunately as long as the establishment is so deadset against him there will always be roadblocks.

However, far more people know about Ron Paul now and polling clearly reflects that.

It will be interesting to see if the public awareness translates into public support. I'm suggesting that it won't. His positions on the issues, not a lack of public awareness, will remain the overriding obstacle that I believe he won't be able to overcome.

I'm neither a conservative nor libertarian and I think a lot of Paul's ideas are really "out there," but I rather like him. At least he's got integrity, is honest about his beliefs and hasn't yet compromised on his principles, and isn't a complete asshole like several other keynote speakers at CPAC.

Oh please, Ron Paul was impeded by a number of factors, like the media deliberately belittling his candidacy, and notoriety obviously. However, far more people know about Ron Paul now and polling clearly reflects that. Also, he can do like his son and take advantage of the Tea Party energy. Unfortunately as long as the establishment is so deadset against him there will always be roadblocks.

When in doubt, blame the media. It's much easier and let's you play the victim card.

I would vote for him if got the nomination, but it's too early for me to decide.

I was hoping to see a true Statesman emerge in the run up to the primary elections, and so far I don't see anyone who is a stand out.

It's clear it has to be someone who could beat Obama or who ever gets the Democrat nomination in the case Obama keeps falling in the polls because he hasn't yet learned that pretending he's our dictator against the majority of American opinions is no way to win re-election.

Not only are you a dreamer but you're quite the champ when it comes to run on sentences. :lamo

No matter how many times the guy wins the CPAC poll, he has absolutely zero chance of winning the general election or even the reppublican nomination. I agree with Donald Trump in this.

I had forgotten what the Donald said and you and he are both right as are most of those who have posted on this topic so far.

I didn't want to count any out a this early point but since it is out here I will agree he has no chance.

As for the post that says he is belittled by the Obamedia. This is true of most Conservatives because of the vast differences between those of us Conservatives and Independents who have the ability to think for ourselves, and those who lack the mental acuity to do so without Matthews, Olbermann and the rest of the wackos telling them what to think, what to say and what names to call us.

Ron Paul always does well at these types of events, just like Jessie Jackson always polled well in the democrat straw polls...not like anyone would ever seriously set him forward as the party nominee...

I really wouldn't read too much into this. Ron Paul seems to perform well in everything... EXCEPT winning any actual elections. Oh well.

Christi, who gets a lot of press, doesn't poll well. To me, I agree this does not mean much.

Whatever. I can translate the above to mean this: my sympathies were just too good for the general American public who in no way shape, or form, could uniformly agree with the man.

Ron Paul always does well at these types of events, just like Jessie Jackson always polled well in the democrat straw polls...not like anyone would ever seriously set him forward as the party nominee...

Except for the fact that Ron Paul has actually accomplished things for liberty and Jackson is a rabble rousing asshole.

Except for the fact that Ron Paul has actually accomplished things for liberty and Jackson is a rabble rousing asshole.

Be that as it may...the results are still the same.

Whatever. I can translate the above to mean this: my sympathies were just too good for the general American public who in no way shape, or form, could uniformly agree with the man.

I like Ron Paul, and find him refreshingly honest. I think it is good that he is in there making noise.

However, it's sorta like this: I'll be listening to him speak, nodding my head, and thinking "Yeah, that's right!"

Then, all the sudden, he goes WAY off the deep end and gets really extreme, and my jaw hits the floor and I think "Oh hell no!"

To put it simply, I think this is why he just isn't really electable. There are too many issues on which his views are too extreme.

O and Donald Trump is? give me a break

I like Ron Paul, and find him refreshingly honest. I think it is good that he is in there making noise.

However, it's sorta like this: I'll be listening to him speak, nodding my head, and thinking "Yeah, that's right!"

Then, all the sudden, he goes WAY off the deep end and gets really extreme, and my jaw hits the floor and I think "Oh hell no!"

To put it simply, I think this is why he just isn't really electable. There are too many issues on which his views are too extreme.

Define extreme

And what exactly has Ron Paul accomplished, anyway? Sorry, his pro-China/anti-Taiwan votes in the House mean I absolutely will NEVER consider voting for him at any time... it is in the same company as Barbara Lee in my book...

No danger of him winning... if he wins the nomination, may as well give Obama a second term...

O and Donald Trump is? give me a break

I doubt he'll even run. But he was definetly correct in that statement. I especially liked how all of the CPAC audience booed when Trump said it. Made me smile ever so little.

case Obama keeps falling in the polls because he hasn't yet learned that pretending he's our dictator against the majority of American opinions is no way to win re-election.

I have literally hurt my brain trying to figure out where you must come up with this stuff.

It still hurts, I'm gonna take an aspirin.

Paul has a small, energized, and surprisingly young fan base(including myself). He won't win the Republican nomination. Fox News wouldn't allow it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom