• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ron Paul: US-born al-Qaida cleric 'assassinated'

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I am no fan of Obama under any circumstances, or by any stretch, because I think he's been useless and the king of all liars, but I will admit that since he has decided that killing the terrorists as I have been saying all along I support killing OBL and now Anwar al-Awlaki and those with him.

In these cases Obama is doing the right thing.
I also have to say that I now have eliminated the first GOP candidate from any consideration and that is Ron Paul.
I think he could not be more wrong. You don't give a poisonous snake a break you kill it.

Al-Qaida understands death and nothing else because they are all crazy as hell.

News from The Associated Press

MANCHESTER, N.H. (AP) -- Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul is condemning the Obama administration for killing an American born al-Qaida operative without a trial.

Paul, a Texas congressman known for libertarian views, says the killing of Anwar al-Awlaki on Yemeni soil amounts to an "assassination." Paul warned the American people not to casually accept such violence against U.S. citizens, even those with strong ties to terrorism.

Anwar al-Awlaki was considered one of the most influential al-Qaida operatives wanted by the United States. U.S. and Yemen officials say he was killed in a U.S. air strike targeting his convoy Friday morning.

Last edited:
The entire argument is semantic in nature. Assassination, killing, boom-boom, whatever you wanna call it. We killed that mofo and he had it coming, and personally I would consider him a legitimate military target and an enemy of the state.

Last edited:
I am no fan of Obama under any circumstances, or by any stretch, because I think he's been useless and the king of all liars, but I will admit that since he has decided that killing the terrorists as I have been saying all alone I support killing OBL and now Anwar al-Awlaki and those with him.

In these cases Obama is foing the right thing.
I also have to say that I now have eliminated the first GOP candidate from any consideration and that is Ron Paul.
I think he could not be more wrong. You don't give a poisonous snake a break you kill it.

This didnt change my mind about Paul...Ive always viewed him as a nutjob...this is just another example....hopefully this will be his last hurrah and he will go away....but then his kid is just as nuts as him and younger...

He is....excuse me...WAS an enemy combatant, a traitor, and a serious threat to the security of the American people. If the DOD and CIA felt an attempt at arrest was simply not feasible or was too great a risk, than snuffing him like a bug was appropriate.

Good riddance, Insha' Allah.

Interesting rule of law here.

Well first, his full quote in context.

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas), who is running for the GOP presidential nomination, said that the killing is troubling. "No, I don't think that's a good way to deal with our problems," Paul said after a campaign event in New Hampshire. "Al-Awlaki was born here, he is an American citizen. He was never tried or charged for any crimes. No one knows if he killed anybody. We know he might have been associated with the underwear bomber. But if the American people accept this blindly and casually that we now have an accepted practice of the president assassinating people who he thinks are bad guys, I think it's sad."

Paul noted the different treatment afforded the Oklahoma bomber. "What would people have said about Timothy McVeigh? We didn't assassinate him, and they were pretty certain he had done it. They went and put him through the courts, and then they executed him. To start assassinating American citizens without charges, we should think very seriously about this."

Second the law:
United States Code: Title 8,1481. Loss of nationality by native-born or naturalized citizen; voluntary action; burden of proof; presumptions | LII / Legal Information Institute

THE GUY IS A US CITIZEN.
and as SUCH he HAS TO BE TRIALED.

(7) committing any act of treason against, or attempting by force to overthrow, or bearing arms against, the United States, violating or conspiring to violate any of the provisions of section 2383 of title 18, or willfully performing any act in violation of section 2385 of title 18, or violating section 2384 of title 18 by engaging in a conspiracy to overthrow, put down, or to destroy by force the Government of the United States, or to levy war against them, if and when he is convicted thereof by a court martial or by a court of competent jurisdiction.

Constitution:
"No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentmen*t or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensati*on."

Fourth:
You should do one of your classic "FLASHBACK" links with this on Anwar Al-Awlaki:

EXCLUSIVE: Al Qaeda Leader Dined at the Pentagon Just Months After 9/11

Anwar Al-Awlaki may be the first American on the CIA's kill or capture list, but he was also a lunch guest of military brass at the Pentagon within months of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, Fox News has learned.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/20...ntagon-months/

ACLU tweet:
@ACLU
ACLU National
Targeted killing of Al-Aulaqi: US citizen executed by his own government without judicial process #RIPConstitution bit.ly/rcOo8N

"If you are somebody that believes the President of the United States has the power to order your fellow citizens murdered, assassinat*ed, killed without a shred of due process," Greenwald said, "then you are really declaring yourself to be as pure of an authoritar*ian as it gets."

Do we have political leans for Authoritarians on this forum?

That is an interesting conclusion. Simple question; Why? Why are they all crazy? What gives them motive to want to attack us? s it our freedom, or exceptionalism? Are they jealous of our bacon grilled cheesburgers? Well, the hard part is doing the extensive research of our history, listening to their motives, research (again), learning our rules and questioning ourselves. The easy part is just to label them crazy, ignoring our rules of law, and killing without due process.

Last edited:
Interesting rule of law here.

Well first, his full quote in context.

Second the law:

Constitution:

Fourth:

ACLU tweet:

Do we have political leans for Authoritarians on this forum?

That is an interesting conclusion. Simple question; Why? Why are they all crazy? What gives them motive to want to attack us? s it our freedom, or exceptionalism? Are they jealous of our bacon grilled cheesburgers? Well, the hard part is doing the extensive research of our history, listening to their motives, research (again) and questioning ourselves. The easy part is just to label them crazy, ignoring our rules of law, and killing without due process.

Dunno, but that's what a lot of social scientists and psychologists I think are attempting to figure out.

Paul's is a valid question and it's why we need people like Paul to ask them. Jasonxe posts exactly why it's a valid question. It's not as simple as "you can't kill an American citizen" without a trial but the facts are, the government knew they were going to target him so they could have held a trial. He doesn't have to be present for a trial to be held.

I'll grant that this isn't all black and white that there are other considerations but all the same, it certainly should give everyone pause that the government can just kill an American citizen based only on the idea that he was involved in something. If they believe he was a threat to the U.S., I would even consider the idea of a military trial as being valid.

This is a different arguement than what would have applied to OBL. He did not have Constitutional Rights.

Last edited:
I am no fan of Obama under any circumstances, or by any stretch, because I think he's been useless and the king of all liars, but I will admit that since he has decided that killing the terrorists as I have been saying all along I support killing OBL and now Anwar al-Awlaki and those with him.

In these cases Obama is doing the right thing.

Ron Paul made a very big mistake here. Just proves how out of touch politicians can be. Unbelievable gaff.

Paul's is a valid question and it's why we need people like Paul to ask them. Jasonxe posts exactly why it's a valid question. It's not as simple as "you can't kill an American citizen" without a trial but the facts are, the government knew they were going to target him so they could have held a trial. He doesn't have to be present for a trial to be held.

I'll grant that this isn't all black and white that there are other considerations but all the same, it certainly should give everyone pause that the government can just kill an American citizen based only on the idea that he was involved in something. If they believe he was a threat to the U.S., I would even consider the idea of a military trial as being valid.

This is a different arguement than what would have applied to OBL. He did not have Constitutional Rights.

Where does it say we capture our enemy? Whimpy-whimpy-whimpy. We kill our enemies. The military's goal is not to capture.

Where does it say we capture our enemy? Whimpy-whimpy-whimpy. We kill our enemies. The military's goal is not to capture.

As pointed out, Timothy McVeigh was every bit as much of an enemy. We would not accepted the idea of state troopers just shooting him in the head when they captured him.

THIS is the reason that Ron Paul could never be POTUS. Dr. Paul fails to realize that there are times when the best interests of the nation have to be put above some ridiculous bit of technicality. This mofo RENOUNCED his US Citizenship. He was no longer a US Citizen. Even if he was, he's gone out of his way to work towards providing material aid and support for individuals and groups that have attacked the United States. The fact that he's ash is a GOOD thing. The fact that he didn't get his day in court is EVEN BETTER.

As pointed out, Timothy McVeigh was every bit as much of an enemy. We would not accepted the idea of state troopers just shooting him in the head when they captured him.

Maybe you wouldn't have, but some of us would have.

THIS is the reason that Ron Paul could never be POTUS. Dr. Paul fails to realize that there are times when the best interests of the nation have to be put above some ridiculous bit of technicality

Then lets be honest then....you can never claim to be a consitutionalists and others that hold this view cannot as well. I'm not saying I disagree with the decision to do it but bypassing due process for an American citizens is not a technicality.

Ron Paul should worry a little less about the rights of traitors who have sworn to murder their fellow Americans, and worry more about protecting his fellow Americans from such traitors.

The issue I take with the situation is that there doesn't seem to be any oversight or checks in place for whom the US military and intelligence agencies decide is "an enemy." If they call you an enemy combatant, you no longer have any rights. No due process. No trial of your peers. Just a bullet to your head, or even a predator drone while you sleep. It doesn't matter whether you're a US citizen or not, guilty or not. You're on a death list and there's nobody there to make sure the government has sufficient evidence to justify that.

People think too short-sighted when they read these stories. Whenever I read these stories, I think "What if it were me that the government decided was an enemy?"

Ok, this guy is some sort of radical actively working against America's interest. Maybe he does deserve to die. Thing is, the only thing I know about the situation is what the government told me. It never ceases to amaze me that the exact same group of people who claim the government can't do anything right is the crowd cheering on assassination of a US citizen without oversight or due process.

Then lets be honest then....you can never claim to be a consitutionalists and others that hold this view cannot as well. I'm not saying I disagree with the decision to do it but bypassing due process for an American citizens is not a technicality.

THIS MOFO RENOUNCED HIS CITIZENSHIP!!! He was no longer an American Citizen. Maybe he didn't fill out the paperwork, but from what I've heard he repeatedly renounced his ties to America. What the hell more do you want?

The issue I take with the situation is that there doesn't seem to be any oversight or checks in place for whom the US military and intelligence agencies decide is "an enemy." If they call you an enemy combatant, you no longer have any rights. No due process. No trial of your peers. Just a bullet to your head, or even a predator drone while you sleep. It doesn't matter whether you're a US citizen or not, guilty or not. You're on a death list and there's nobody there to make sure the government has sufficient evidence to justify that.

People think too short-sighted when they read these stories. Whenever I read these stories, I think "What if it were me that the government decided was an enemy?"

Ok, this guy is some sort of radical actively working against America's interest. Maybe he does deserve to die. Thing is, the only thing I know about the situation is what the government told me. It never ceases to amaze me that the exact same group of people who claim the government can't do anything right is the crowd cheering on assassination of a US citizen without oversight or due process.

Two out of the first three stating an opinion that Paul was wrong came from those who lean is liberal. No condemnation there?

THIS MOFO RENOUNCED HIS CITIZENSHIP!!! He was no longer an American Citizen. Maybe he didn't fill out the paperwork, but from what I've heard he repeatedly renounced his ties to America. What the hell more do you want?

He never renounced his citizenship. You are free to show where I am wrong though.

When you read his quote in its entirety I completely understand his point. Whether or not Awlaki renounced his citizenship or not, he was still legally a citizen of the U.S. ( here). As a legal citizen he had rights which were summarily dismissed on the basis of his alleged actions. Do I think he did the things he's accused of? Damn straight. He's even flat out admitted to much of it (and denied quite a bit as well). But we have to be careful about rescinding the rights of our "enemies" without due process. It can (and historically has) gone way too far once it starts.

THIS is the reason that Ron Paul could never be POTUS. Dr. Paul fails to realize that there are times when the best interests of the nation have to be put above some ridiculous bit of technicality. This mofo RENOUNCED his US Citizenship. He was no longer a US Citizen. Even if he was, he's gone out of his way to work towards providing material aid and support for individuals and groups that have attacked the United States. The fact that he's ash is a GOOD thing. The fact that he didn't get his day in court is EVEN BETTER.

I never knew the constitution, our 5th amendment and laws were technicalities. Why even obey them to begin with, they mean nothing..am i right? /sarcasm.

Ron Paul should worry a little less about the rights of traitors who have sworn to murder their fellow Americans, and worry more about protecting his fellow Americans from such traitors.

He is worrying about his fellow Americans from becoming such victims from our own government and following the Constitution. To me, Ron Paul is a hero for speaking out which says words about where our country fallen off too. I don't like what we've have become. With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. The first time any man’s freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged.

Last edited:
..He is worrying about his fellow Americans from becoming such victims from our own government and following the Constitution. To me, Ron Paul is a hero for speaking out which says words about where has our country fallen off too. I don't like what we've have become. With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. The first time any man’s freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged....

forgive me for remaining unconvinced.

Two out of the first three stating an opinion that Paul was wrong came from those who lean is liberal. No condemnation there?

Those people are in the "short-sighted" list.

What's really sad is I'm guessing what Dr. Paul said will fly over the heads of many people. He thinks intricately and makes his points similarly. So even though he's rather intelligent and supportive of individual freedom he comes across sounding "crazy" or "anti-American" because he doesn't run with the rest of the lemmings towards the cliff's edge.

Those people are in the "short-sighted" list.

Targeted for execution, no due process. Justice is swift!

Anybody ever watch V for Vendetta?

Targeted for execution, no due process. Justice is swift!....

yes, if you betray our country and join our enemies in foreign lands and participate in the planning & carrying-out of terrorist attacks against our civilian population, the rules may be adjusted just for you.

:)

Back
Top Bottom