• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ron Paul Posts Criticism of Censorship ... Shortly Before Facebook Blocks Him

The irony here being that you're still using these platforms and a part of their user demographics which they use to target ads and make money. You can continue posting how much they suck, but you're still making them money.
That is true but I will cost them far more than anything they could ever make from my being there. I am going to use the tactics of the evil left. Shunning, shaming, embarrassing all those who don't seek alternative sites, which I will refer them to.

That is true but I will cost them far more than anything they could ever make from my being there. I am going to use the tactics of the evil left. Shunning, shaming, embarrassing all those who don't seek alternative sites, which I will refer them to.
I'd reassess that from an effort perspective, because those who are most likely to abandon Facebook and Twitter have probably already done so.

I'd reassess that from an effort perspective, because those who are most likely to abandon Facebook and Twitter have probably already done so.
Nope. Both are very addicting and people have lots of friends. It's like a addict leaving drugs. I have to point them to a another junkie is all.

Nope. Both are very addicting and people have lots of friends. It's like a addict leaving drugs. I have to point them to a another junkie is all.
This is actually where you might have some issues. Facebook is like heroin and you're offering them Methadone.

Seems Mr. Paul violated the FB TOS either grossly, or repeatedly.
You can excuse censorship however you wish but it is an authoritarian behavior and you are supporting it. Hiding censorship behind violations of TOS is just a way to make you feel better about authoritarianism.

Please note, TOS don't indicate any warnings are required.
If they use TOS to ban Ron Paul they can use it to ban you. I have no idea why you're a fan of this authoritarianism. Why you're defending a billionaire a monopoly.

What you're engaging in by excusing this is bootlicking. When you excuse authoritarianism against people you disagree with, they won't be there when the authoritarianism is directed at you.

If they use TOS to ban Ron Paul they can use it to ban you. I have no idea why you're a fan of this authoritarianism. Why you're defending a billionaire a monopoly.

What you're engaging in by excusing this is bootlicking. When you excuse authoritarianism against people you disagree with, they won't be there when the authoritarianism is directed at you.
If I break the TOS they can ban me. I don't pay for their service, in what world do you believe that gives you rights on a platform? I see black helicopters circling your house.

If I break the TOS they can ban me. I don't pay for their service, in what world do you believe that gives you rights on a platform? I see black helicopters circling your house.
You don't pay for their service because you are their product. Someone pays them for your attention.

The fact that it's a platform. They're acting like an editor not a platform host. if they're doing this they shouldn't get the protections that apply to a platform.

Arbitrarily enforcing TOs is a fine excuse for authoritarian censorship but just know that that's what your excusing. It's no different than book burning.

if these guys are so concerned about "censorship" then maybe they should start their own multi-media platform where people will never ever be banned for anything that they say or do... right?
Absolutely, but what about everything else in the OP? There are now no small number of people who (apparently) want to blacklist companies who hire "Trump supporters" (presumably, people who voted for Pres. Trump in either 2016 and/or 2020), bar pro-Trump students from college campuses, harass and blacklist lawyers who represent companies like Parler in litigation, etc.

This is devolving into an all-out civil war.

You don't pay for their service because you are their product. Someone pays them for your attention.

The fact that it's a platform. They're acting like an editor not a platform host. if they're doing this they shouldn't get the protections that apply to a platform.

Arbitrarily enforcing TOs is a fine excuse for authoritarian censorship but just know that that's what your excusing. It's no different than book burning.
It's not censorship. Period.

Absolutely, but what about everything else in the OP? There are now no small number of people who (apparently) want to blacklist companies who hire "Trump supporters" (presumably, people who voted for Pres. Trump in either 2016 and/or 2020), bar pro-Trump students from college campuses, harass and blacklist lawyers who represent companies like Parler in litigation, etc.

The concept of just creating their own website as an alternative to Facebook is quite a cop out. Would have to refuse to domain registrar? We've seen big tech do this before. Let's look at parlor.

So what they're going to have to do is just make their own internet.

Then you would have missed that question on your HS government test.
Denying someone the right to speak in the digital Public square is a violation of the First Amendment. Why are you licking the boots of billionaire authoritarians with monopolies? Remember if you don't defend the trade unionists when they come for the trade unionists because you don't like the trade unionists when they come for you there will be no one left to defend you.

I don't understand the complete severance of all the reason and understanding of history. Is justifying the silencing of your political rivals really worth all of this?

This is actually where you might have some issues. Facebook is like heroin and you're offering them Methadone.
They have to be weaned off first. I have never said, nor will I ever say, that EVERYONE is not indoctrinated. I get many in the Republican party mad at me when I say this and my family would go ballistic., but far too many conservatives are indoctrinated into silly religious beliefs to the party's detriment. There is a fine line between truth and beliefs. When I say that YOU are indoctrinated into liberalism, I mean that 100%. You will buy into almost whatever MSNBC or CNN or WaPo or the NY Times says, even though they are known liars and deceivers because what they say fits your preconceived notions. The same is true with conservatives. We will buy into what is said on Fox, OAN, and Newsmax. There is no surprise there.

They most important question one should have is what is the truth and what is best for humanity. I happen to think liberalism will destroy the human soul. We are seeing that now with Big Tech telling us what to believe through fact checks and purging, not seen since the McCarthy era. Almost all of of you are in favor of them doing that, based on the premise they are private companies. Of course, the Democrats are in favor of it. They actually demanded that Big Tech silence conservatives. I am sure this will play a huge part in the law suit spear headed by Dan Bongino when Pa rler shows a coordinated effort to ruin Parler by monopolies known as Twitter, Apple and Google.

So you know, they'll be back on line soon. they have many millions to fight the suit which will take 2-4 years and may make the SC. FB and Twitter will no longer exist when they lose the suit and hundreds of millions in damages.

I agree. It is ugly. It is petty. IMO it is the Far Left that started this war as well... with all the Political Correctness and shaming of anybody that did not agree with them.

This scares me to death. This is Ron Paul, the consummate libertarian, being axed for criticism of--of all things--an epidemic of censorship.

Via blogger Jonathan Turley (bold by me):
Now former Texas congressman Ron Paul, 85, has been blocked from using his Facebook page for unspecified violations of “community standards.” Paul’s last posting was linked to an article on the “shocking” increase of censorship on social media. Facebook then proceeded to block him under the same undefined “community standards” policy.​
Paul, a libertarian leader and former presidential candidate, has been an outspoken critics of foreign wars and an advocate for civil liberties for decades. He wrote:​
“With no explanation other than ‘repeatedly going against our community standards,’ @Facebook has blocked me from managing my page. Never have we received notice of violating community standards in the past and nowhere is the offending post identified.
His son is Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) tweeted, “Facebook now considers advocating for liberty to be sedition. Where will it end?”​
Even before the riot, Democrats were calling for blacklists and retaliation against anyone deemed to be “complicit” with the Trump Administration. We have been discussing the rising threats against Trump supporters, lawyers, and officials in recent weeks from Democratic members are calling for blacklists to the Lincoln Project leading a a national effort to harass and abuse any lawyers representing the Republican party or President Trump. Others are calling for banning those “complicit” from college campuses while still others are demanding a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” to “hold Trump and his enablers accountable for the crimes they have committed.” Daily Beast editor-at-large Rick Wilson has added his own call for “humiliation,” “incarceration” and even ritualistic suicides for Trump supporters in an unhinged, vulgar column.​
After the riots, the big tech companies moved to ban and block sites and individuals, including Parler which is the primary alternative to Twitter. Also, a top Forbes editor Randall Lane warned any company that they will be investigated if they hire any former Trump officials.
Also (ibid.):

The riots are being used as a license to rollback on free speech and retaliate against conservatives. In the meantime, the silence of academics and many in the media is deafening. Many of those who have spoken for years about the dark period of McCarthyism and blacklisting are either supporting this censorship or remaining silent in the face of it.
Please don't let this be you.
Rand Paul is not the consummate libertarian by any stretch of the imagination. It's just a role he plays from time to time.

It is censorship. If it's not explain why it's not if you can this ought to be funny.
djt agreed to abide by TOS on a privately held business. He violated those TOS. He is not the only person kicked off by the privately held business.

This scares me to death. This is Ron Paul, the consummate libertarian, being axed for criticism of--of all things--an epidemic of censorship.

Via blogger Jonathan Turley (bold by me):
Now former Texas congressman Ron Paul, 85, has been blocked from using his Facebook page for unspecified violations of “community standards.” Paul’s last posting was linked to an article on the “shocking” increase of censorship on social media. Facebook then proceeded to block him under the same undefined “community standards” policy.​
Paul, a libertarian leader and former presidential candidate, has been an outspoken critics of foreign wars and an advocate for civil liberties for decades. He wrote:​
“With no explanation other than ‘repeatedly going against our community standards,’ @Facebook has blocked me from managing my page. Never have we received notice of violating community standards in the past and nowhere is the offending post identified.
His son is Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) tweeted, “Facebook now considers advocating for liberty to be sedition. Where will it end?”​
Even before the riot, Democrats were calling for blacklists and retaliation against anyone deemed to be “complicit” with the Trump Administration. We have been discussing the rising threats against Trump supporters, lawyers, and officials in recent weeks from Democratic members are calling for blacklists to the Lincoln Project leading a a national effort to harass and abuse any lawyers representing the Republican party or President Trump. Others are calling for banning those “complicit” from college campuses while still others are demanding a “Truth and Reconciliation Commission” to “hold Trump and his enablers accountable for the crimes they have committed.” Daily Beast editor-at-large Rick Wilson has added his own call for “humiliation,” “incarceration” and even ritualistic suicides for Trump supporters in an unhinged, vulgar column.​
After the riots, the big tech companies moved to ban and block sites and individuals, including Parler which is the primary alternative to Twitter. Also, a top Forbes editor Randall Lane warned any company that they will be investigated if they hire any former Trump officials.
Also (ibid.):

The riots are being used as a license to rollback on free speech and retaliate against conservatives. In the meantime, the silence of academics and many in the media is deafening. Many of those who have spoken for years about the dark period of McCarthyism and blacklisting are either supporting this censorship or remaining silent in the face of it.
Please don't let this be you.

Conservatives believe that private companies should be allowed to refuse service to people until someone refuses service to them. You only believe in Capitalism when it works for you, which is Conservatism 101.

My first thought on reading the OP is this will probably be resolved quickly and it appears it has.

To the extent there is overreach in the coming days it will get sorted out; a little overbreadth IMO is completely acceptable following the first time in American history terrorists tried to prevent the legitimate transfer of power. There are always going to be mistakes and problems, the important thing is that they be fixed and if necessary and appropriate compensation paid.

I am much more worried about people being mistakenly added to no-fly lists or prosecuted just for being in a crowd and not supporting the actual violence or breaking into the Capitol than I am about Ron Paul's Facebook page being restricted for a few hours.
I'm glad to hear you are worried about that policy. I think there are a number of people on DP who are not.

Back
Top Bottom