• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ron DeSantis and Bridget Ziegler reshaping Florida's public schools.

Many people (including me) agree.

There should be, in my opinion, African American studies classes available to those students who want them.

But other students should not be subjected to them. Teaching about slavery & segregation should be limited to regular American history classes.

"Liberals" are doing a great disservice to the country (and the said ethnicity) by constantly harping on this subject.
I agree. And if there are African-American studies, there should also be White-American studies too, because fair is fair. But we all know that will never happen.

I think it is a fair question. If Black students benefit from focused learning on what the Black experience and Black contributions are to our history, wouldn't white students possibly get the same thing?

My issue with race based courses is that ultimatley they become hot beds for indoctrinating students in a separate way of seeing themselves in our society. I don't believe that gets society to a better place. Most of these race history classes merely sow the seeds of hatred. The embolden Black students to see themselves as victims, and Whites as oppressors.

I agree. And if there are African-American studies, there should also be White-American studies too, because fair is fair. But we all know that will never happen.

I think it is a fair question. If Black students benefit from focused learning on what the Black experience and Black contributions are to our history, wouldn't white students possibly get the same thing?

My issue with race based courses is that ultimatley they become hot beds for indoctrinating students in a separate way of seeing themselves in our society. I don't believe that gets society to a better place. Most of these race history classes merely sow the seeds of hatred. The embolden Black students to see themselves as victims, and Whites as oppressors.
Not surprising, but still an ignorant response.

Most of these race history classes merely sow the seeds of hatred. The embolden Black students to see themselves as victims, and Whites as oppressors.
Bingo!

And (yes, on FOX) some teachers were shown admitting that although CRT is forbidden to be taught in their schools, they sneak it in anyway. They giggled with pride at their unscrupulous and illegal behavior.

He seeems to think this os the “quality” education kids need.. Listening to Rush…
Only in conservative lala land is misinformation considered education.

They wanna get an early start on the brainwashing.

Pretty much the rest of the history curriculum could be considered to be "white american studies" because that's where they are focused.

The US history we were taught, and many people still are taught, is basically white American studies. Then there is the AP white European studies.

That you think there is no white Ametican studies suggests that perhaps you have been indoctrinated yourself.

If you don't think students of color, the majority of students in the FL public school system, btw, don't already recognize that they are separate, you're kidding yourself.

Trust young people to make the right decisions about what they learn. They're capable of handling it.

I am taken by the education depths claim that the AP Agpfrican-American studies is inexplicably against the law and wonder if they know what that word means. It's a curious choice of word.

Most of American history taught is based on white culture and therein lies the problem of why a African American history is needed. 1674340650082.jpeg

Maybe you should be concerned about things like school shootings and lockdown drills then.

This thread kind of proves how much democrats fear Ron DeSantis in a general election. They would much rather Republicans select a easy target to defeat like Nikki Haley. Ron would be heavy favorite for president in 2024.

This thread kind of proves how much democrats fear Ron DeSantis in a general election. They would much rather Republicans select a easy target to defeat like Nikki Haley. Ron would be heavy favorite for president in 2024.
Are you kidding? He's killing his own chances at a run as we speak.

No, he could have been. Then he made a hard right turn and has been running to the base of the party. He doesn’t stand a chance in a general election.

He's playing to a select group of idiots. That won't work nationally.

Florida is one of the most diverse states in America. Florida has elected a lot of stars-in-the making like Gaetz, Luna, etc....

It is all subjective isn't it? For my history class my Teacher would have us listen to Rush. The nature of educational value is by definition subjective.
In what context?

Most of American history taught is based on white culture and therein lies the problem of why a African American history is needed. View attachment 67433314
African America, and American Indian history in North America is told through a European colonial, and then later a revolutionary, and emerging nation point of view.

If the Indians had repelled the Europeans then I'm sure the story in North America would have a different theme. How is this news to anyone?

What does this have to do with school shootings and lockdown drills?

Florida is one of the most diverse states in America. Florida has elected a lot of stars-in-the making like Gaetz, Luna, etc....
I wouldn't exactly give either of these two a ringing endorsement.

Yeah, no. This post is demonstrating no awareness of the fields of history.

The reason why there are subject matter specific survey courses (in this case, demographic-specific survey level courses) is because while references to them may be found here or there in the vanilla survey courses, they are nevertheless not able to provide a concrete narrative on that subject. American history survey courses may have African American narratives scattered in it, but the primary focus is on something different: namely, the narrative of how the United States sees itself as a nation state. But that narrative is also by default about the white male experience, with *pockets* of other people scattered throughout the literature, often unevenly.

When you’re able to take a course on African American history, you may be treated to the history of the United States as a nation state, but it would be through the prism of the Black populations that inhabited the colonies and the country. And given the unique historical context of African Americans, the central focus will be on what it is like to be them, to be an oppressed minority who had few to no rights at any point in time prior to the mid-1960s. And that’s also when you are going to get that very unique look at how, given that, how do Black Americans interact with American citizenship and patriotism. And those debates can share similarities with white Americans, but even those who said “yes, I am an American, I love my country, etc etc.” will say so with a different rationale than you normally hear from other peoples.

On the contrary, African American history or studies courses have led to a revisionism toward reminding people that Black people were not mere passive recipients, but were active participants in history. That’s why there is a conscious effort to look at slave revolts, the internal debates in the Black community about how to pursue freedom, how to act politically, what sort of education should they aspire to having, why many of them continued to actively serve in the military, etc. As a result of that focus, defenders of more traditional narratives can be found debating African American-centric scholars on the extent to which Black people were able to shape their own destinies without being just victims of oppression.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom