• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romney Third Party Candidacy??

This highlights how delusional the anti-Trumpeteers are right now. They looks like the Ted Cruz campaign 24 hours before the Indiana vote. I sort of hope they do this. Romney would get less than 2% of the vote. How many times did the gang up tactic work against Trump in the past?

The only thing intersting that has come out of Mitts mouth the last few months, is Trumps tax returns, which should be fun reading. LoL

All the whining about Trump running as an independent if he didn't get the republican nom and now they themselves are doing it, lol..

Pathetic..

Kristol is a ****en retard if he thinks running Romney is a good idea.The fact republicans voted for a man that appointed liberal judges, supported cap and trade, created the predecessor to Obama-care and enacted anti-2nd amendment laws that Obama has wet dreams about passing despite constantly claiming to oppose those things just shows you how brain dead and idiotic some republicans are. The fact Kristol would even recommend that Romney try another stab at the presidency just shows you that he is either a democrat plant or just a ****en moron. Granted Trump supporters are not even any better and are just as retarded as Romney supporters. Because what sense does it make to complain about RINO republicans siding with democrats only to turn around and support a guy who praised, supported and donated money to those those RINO republicans and democrats the republicans sided with. It amount to hiring the guy that pays arsonist to burn down home to be fire chief of the whole city. Trump is just Mitt Romney 2.0 just as liberal as Romney and a lot richer.

I disagree. Romney was the most liberal person to run in the two main parties besides Bernie Sanders.

You certainly sound confident. My guess would be Trump loses and gets no better than 45% and Clinton exceeds 310 electoral votes at a minimum. The Dems will also take control of the Senate and the House will stay in GOP hands but the margin will be around ten votes taking them down to 223 or so seats.

The day after the election Garland will withdraw his name from before the Senate to allow Clinton to name her own choice.

I think I'll continue to post this whenever appropriate until the denouement.

Attachments

• hillary trump debate.jpg
    hillary trump debate.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 54
yank may be right about the timing.

As for winning - he wouldn't be hoping to. The whole point is to derail Trump... by siphoning off votes... not win themselves. I'm sure it's a bitter pill, as it would assure a Democratic victory this time for the Presidency. I suspect, however, they are trying to galvanize R voter turnout - so as not to lose the Senate entirely, and lose ground in the House.

Close, but not quite. The plan would be to take enough states so that no one got 270. That sends the election to congress.

Close, but not quite. The plan would be to take enough states so that no one got 270. That sends the election to congress.

That's a bit terrifying.

That's a bit terrifying.

It is a long shot, but not impossible they could succeed. They would pour all their resources into just a few states.

Mitt Romney met privately with William Kristol to discuss third-party candidate - CNNPolitics.com

One can only assume that such a run, by a widely-recognized main-stream Republican, would split the R vote. Thus assuring Trump of a loss, and Hillary of a victory. I like it.

Never gonna work. Romney wasn't wanted in 2012 and it ain't'a gonna work now. The best thing that the "conservatives" can do, is hunker down, get slaughtered in the 2016 election, clean house and try again in four years.

I see my phone is at 47% battery as I read this. It's a sign.

The funny thing about this is that the Republican establishment made Trump sign a promise to not run third party... little did they know that they would end up running third party.

Mitt Romney met privately with William Kristol to discuss third-party candidate - CNNPolitics.com

One can only assume that such a run, by a widely-recognized main-stream Republican, would split the R vote. Thus assuring Trump of a loss, and Hillary of a victory. I like it.

Romney needs to piss off and quit trying to sabotage the GOP's chances of retaking the White House just because he has a major hate-on for Trump.

Go back to the Pit of Irrelevant Politicians where you belong, Mitt!

The funny thing about this is that the Republican establishment made Trump sign a promise to not run third party... little did they know that they would end up running third party.

They didn't count on Trump getting this far. They assumed (like most of the pundits) that he'd be an iffy contender who would eventually drop out.

Oops!

Now they're pissing their undies over the fact that he actually made it and now they have 3 choices: 1)Support him and maybe see the GOP retake the WH, 2)Vote for Hildabeast as a protest and watch the country spend 4 more years in the **** or 3)Run another GOPer against him via 3rd party and still lose to Hildabeast.

Romney needs to piss off and quit trying to sabotage the GOP's chances of retaking the White House just because he has a major hate-on for Trump.

Go back to the Pit of Irrelevant Politicians where you belong, Mitt!

I don't read him as trying to sabotage the R's. I read him as being willing to 'take one for the team'. And by team - I mean nation. I suspect he is convinced that Trump would be a ticking time bomb as president... and potentially a huge disaster. So he's willing to use his name recognition to enter a contest he has no hope of winning... to avoid Trump mayhem. It's called 'noblesse oblige'. And I believe it lives in his heart. As it happens - he's not very good at it... but I give him points for trying. But I happen to agree with him about Trump... so maybe I'm giving Romney too much credit.

Romney wouldn't be running to win...he would be running to save the Republican party. The GOP is afraid of losing the senate and even the house if Republicans stay home because of Trump. Romney would give these voters an alternative to Trump and encourage GOP voters to go to the polls. Its not a bad plan if you are willing to lose the whitehouse...but I think that hard-core Republicans are willing to do that because in their mind, they've lost the whitehouse already.

Romney wouldn't be running to win...he would be running to save the Republican party. The GOP is afraid of losing the senate and even the house if Republicans stay home because of Trump. Romney would give these voters an alternative to Trump and encourage GOP voters to go to the polls. Its not a bad plan if you are willing to lose the whitehouse...but I think that hard-core Republicans are willing to do that because in their mind, they've lost the whitehouse already.

I agree. Unfortunately, the cause of the rise of Trump which is dissatisfaction with the incompetence and corruption of the political establishment won't be addressed. The voters lose again.

First of all, that is not the worst outcome - for someone who cares about the future of conservatism and the GOP. Trump means death. Hillary means 4 years of invigorating opposition.

But I would not be surprised if the electoral map will look totally different this year. Right now, Trump is in dead heat with Clinton in Pennsylvania and in Utah. Neither is supposed to be happening. If a Romney (or whoever's) third-party campaign plays its cards right, it could pick enough electoral votes to deny presidency to both Trump and Hillary. Then the House will pick the President, and the GOP may end up sitting pretty.

Why would you say that?

The latest poll summaries show Hillary over Trump in a head-to-head, no?

Reagan was 25 points behind Carter in May 1980, too.

Don't forget I threw, "may", in that sentence, so let's keep the context in mind.

Romney would be running to be a big baby.

Reagan was 25 points behind Carter in May 1980, too.

Don't forget I threw, "may", in that sentence, so let's keep the context in mind.

Yes, you qualified the comment. Not 'certainly', but 'possibly'. But you said what you said, and I asked why you would say it. So that aspect is just babble.

But you answered. For which, my thanks. It is sometimes hard to get folks to actually move a conversation forward by getting them to address a direct question. At least you followed your bit of deflection with a cogent answer.

So... you are thinking maybe the polls are w a a a y wrong this time. Fair enough. It's happened before, as you note, and if there is any election cycle where the pollsters are gonna have a tough time... I think this one ranks right up there.

Yes, you qualified the comment. Not 'certainly', but 'possibly'. But you said what you said, and I asked why you would say it. So that aspect is just babble.

But you answered. For which, my thanks. It is sometimes hard to get folks to actually move a conversation forward by getting them to address a direct question. At least you followed your bit of deflection with a cogent answer.

So... you are thinking maybe the polls are w a a a y wrong this time. Fair enough. It's happened before, as you note, and if there is any election cycle where the pollsters are gonna have a tough time... I think this one ranks right up there.

I say that because I believe the clintonites are scared shirtless of Trump's chances. I believe they have good reason to be worried; that and Clinton still isn't sure she isn't going to prison.

Back
Top Bottom