• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romney Third Party Candidacy??

When guys like that only hang around with people who think like them and reinforce what they think they end up believing everyone does.
It's the Pauline Kael syndrome.
That, and they're protecting themselves against a big challenge to their power and influence.

Mitt Romney met with William "Always Wrong" Kristol to discuss poitics. That's hysterical. I want Mittens to run just so that he looks pathetic.

I think Mitt has left a bit late for a third party run, I do not know the specifics, but believe the rings to jump thru to get on the ballot are lengthy.

yank may be right about the timing.

As for winning - he wouldn't be hoping to. The whole point is to derail Trump... by siphoning off votes... not win themselves. I'm sure it's a bitter pill, as it would assure a Democratic victory this time for the Presidency. I suspect, however, they are trying to galvanize R voter turnout - so as not to lose the Senate entirely, and lose ground in the House.

My best and most positive wishes for Romney and Kristol and anyone else who wants to run a third party candidate to take mainstream Republican votes from Trump in November.

They may want to be aware that the deadline for ballot petitions in Texas is next week.

I think Mitt has left a bit late for a third party run, I do not know the specifics, but believe the rings to jump thru to get on the ballot are lengthy.

this site has an excellent chart showing the deadlines in each state and how many signatures are needed to get a third party on the ballot in November.

https://ballotpedia.org/Ballot_access_for_presidential_candidates

As you can see, Texas is next week but other than that there is time to get on at least 45 other states, maybe more.

I don't see his name on the list of form 2 filers with the FEC.

Romney just can't see to understand how he isn't getting elected President.....afterall......unwritten Mormon beliefs teach that in the "latter days" the Constitution will hang by a thread and that a Mormon will step in and save the country and world from nuclear annihilation prior to the second coming of Christ. Romney obviously believes that he is the chosen one...so somehow he has to figure out how to prove that prophecy.

I wouldn't bet my mortgage payment on this. It isn't happening. It's too late, and he doesn't need the exposure or the aggravation.
Romney would still have backing from some disgruntled big monied donors who want to exert influence, though.

Romney just can't see to understand how he isn't getting elected President.....afterall......unwritten Mormon beliefs teach that in the "latter days" the Constitution will hang by a thread and that a Mormon will step in and save the country and world from nuclear annihilation prior to the second coming of Christ. Romney obviously believes that he is the chosen one...so somehow he has to figure out how to prove that prophecy.

We need to do all we can in the next few months to encourage that belief... as delusional as it is.

Maybe if he appears even MORE square than you did last time it'll work for him.

:lol:

this site has an excellent chart showing the deadlines in each state and how many signatures are needed to get a third party on the ballot in November.

As you can see, Texas is next week but other than that there is time to get on at least 45 other states, maybe more.

Kristol seems to think he can beat those in court

The only states whose ballot access deadlines are before the end of June are Texas and North Carolina, and those deadlines are susceptible to legal challenges that are being drawn up as I write.

Neither Clinton Nor Trump | The Weekly Standard

Kristol tends to vacillate between ideas, due to ongoing developments. When Sasse declared his desire to see a so-called conservative 3rd party ticket, Kristol immediately wrote that he would like to see a candidate that is a generation younger than the senior "plutocrats" that are currently in the running. Sasse fits that desired "look". This has been a bit of a theme in the last 10 months for Kristol. The Weekly Standard got behind Rubio because of his conservative temperament and his age. Kristol tried to play on the 2008 DNC line that Obama was new blood and the GOP was old white blood. Depending on how Kristol views the chances of getting a younger conservative in the race, that may be where he wants to put his energy. Thus, a Romney discussion may be used to find suitable younger conservatives that Romney and others can get behind.

Kinda like Teds father saying his son was the chosen one, problem is God did not get a vote, just us mere mortals.

Mitt Romney met privately with William Kristol to discuss third-party candidate - CNNPolitics.com

One can only assume that such a run, by a widely-recognized main-stream Republican, would split the R vote. Thus assuring Trump of a loss, and Hillary of a victory. I like it.

Kristol is a ****en retard if he thinks running Romney is a good idea.The fact republicans voted for a man that appointed liberal judges, supported cap and trade, created the predecessor to Obama-care and enacted anti-2nd amendment laws that Obama has wet dreams about passing despite constantly claiming to oppose those things just shows you how brain dead and idiotic some republicans are. The fact Kristol would even recommend that Romney try another stab at the presidency just shows you that he is either a democrat plant or just a ****en moron. Granted Trump supporters are not even any better and are just as retarded as Romney supporters. Because what sense does it make to complain about RINO republicans siding with democrats only to turn around and support a guy who praised, supported and donated money to those those RINO republicans and democrats the republicans sided with. It amount to hiring the guy that pays arsonist to burn down home to be fire chief of the whole city. Trump is just Mitt Romney 2.0 just as liberal as Romney and a lot richer.

He wouldn't need to get on the ballot in Texas since Texas will almost certainly go for Trump anyway. The idea isn't for Romney to win outright, but for no one to win outright and for the thing to be thrown to the House of Representatives--which is controlled by republicans.

He wouldn't need to get on the ballot in Texas since Texas will almost certainly go for Trump anyway. The idea isn't for Romney to win outright, but for no one to win outright and for the thing to be thrown to the House of Representatives--which is controlled by republicans.

yes - that is probably the only strategy the GOP has left. Which still means that they have to deny Clinton 270 - which is going to be very difficult.

yes - that is probably the only strategy the GOP has left. Which still means that they have to deny Clinton 270 - which is going to be very difficult.

The only way they can deny Clinton the 270 is by embracing Trump and helping him win. He can win and I suspect that despite the way things look now, he will.

This highlights how delusional the anti-Trumpeteers are right now. They look like the Ted Cruz campaign 24 hours before the Indiana vote. I sort of hope they do this. Romney would get less than 2% of the vote. How many times did the gang up tactic work against Trump in the past?

Last edited:
The only way they can deny Clinton the 270 is by embracing Trump and helping him win. He can win and I suspect that despite the way things look now, he will.

You certainly sound confident. My guess would be Trump loses and gets no better than 45% and Clinton exceeds 310 electoral votes at a minimum. The Dems will also take control of the Senate and the House will stay in GOP hands but the margin will be around ten votes taking them down to 223 or so seats.

The day after the election Garland will withdraw his name from before the Senate to allow Clinton to name her own choice.

Back
Top Bottom