• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks [W:156,W:236]

Craven political attack or accurate criticism?

• Total voters
Re: Romney Slams Obama Over Embassy Attacks

If they were responding to that statement then yup, it's a screwup. which is probably why he retracted the statement.

This strikes me as a campaign trying to stay ahead of the news cycle, and therefore running with incomplete data. discouraging.

Ah yes. All part of Mitt Romney's Secret Plan To Make Himself Look Like An Idiot. No doubt he's putting his pinkie in the corner of his mouth and muwa-haha-ing right now.

Who said Romney's plan to make himself look like an idiot was secret? LOL. :mrgreen:

Watch the videos, same message. Obama just added the kick that we are religiously tolerant while being intolerant of unreasonable violence.

Obama didn't try to score political points on Romney.

I lost a friend in that attack and I'm infuriated at about how it's been turned into campaign ammunition by Romney.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you and the families and friends of those killed in these attacks will find peace.

I'm going to do something here that I rarely ever do: I'm going to speak off-topic and I'm going to invoke the "Bush does it better" tactic.

Obama's response to this whole thing is an embarrassment for the U.S. He's trying to minimize damage to his campaign by mollifying the perpetrators of this crime.

Bush would have come out with a strong condemnation, a call to the governments of Libya and Egypt to bring these criminals to justice and he would have initiated U.S. actions. We would be seeing these criminals mysteriously disappearing and dying.

All we'll see from Obama is...nothing.

Romney was spot on target in his criticism of Obama.

Interesting how liberals want to talk about Romney's statement rather than the fact obama let our embassies be over run and the fact that the Arab spring he was so fond of is blowing up into another Jihad like many on the right warned that it would.

The religious right is stirring up these protests, so it's not a wonder that they are also warning people that a Jihad will be in our future. If countries that have Muslim leaderships are convinced that the US is against Muslims, it would be no wonder that we would get some back lash from it. The religious right, IMHO, are the instigators. They need to tone this down to prevent further violence. The religious right in this country wouldn't act any differently toward a country they feel wants to wage war with Christians.
Now, what we have learned about the attack in Libya is it was not the doing of protesters, but an organized terrorist attack taking place at the same time people were protesting religious insensitivity from the US religious right.
The religious right in this country needs to tone it down.

I'm going to do something here that I rarely ever do: I'm going to speak off-topic and I'm going to invoke the "Bush does it better" tactic.

Obama's response to this whole thing is an embarrassment for the U.S. He's trying to minimize damage to his campaign by mollifying the perpetrators of this crime.

Bush would have come out with a strong condemnation, a call to the governments of Libya and Egypt to bring these criminals to justice and he would have initiated U.S. actions. We would be seeing these criminals mysteriously disappearing and dying.

Obama has sent a team to deal with this situation in Lybya, and has said those who commited this violence against out people will be brought to justice. Obama is also calling for the governments in Lybya and Egypt to cooperate with bringing these people to justice. He condemned the attacks. Bush said the same thing after 9-11, but it was Obama who brought Bin Laden to justice. I don't see where you come off saying Bush would have handled it better.
I guess you didn't bother to actually hear what Obama and Biden said today.

The state dept apologized for hurting the feelings of muslims. Basically they condoned the attacks because we hurt their feelings by allowing free speech.

It is so ridiculous it is hardly worthy of discussion. What an incompetent administration! They back the wrong guys in Egypt and Syria and then apologize for pissing them off, and at the same time stand up Netanyahu.

It really makes me wonder about Obama's real agenda.

You sound just like Romney but you seem to know more about it then he does. Maybe you should give him a call, he seems lost to me.

Washington (CNN) -- The United States on Wednesday vowed to avenge the killings of its ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, moving warships toward the Libyan coast and preparing to track the suspected perpetrators with surveillance drones, officials said.

Is there no end to how low you will stoop? It's falling on your sword time and you write this?
Obama will get those bastards, your can bet on it. Obama does not make excuses he makes history.

Obama has sent a team to deal with this situation in Lybya, and has said those who commited this violence against out people will be brought to justice. Obama is also calling for the governments in Lybya and Egypt to cooperate with bringing these people to justice. He condemned the attacks. Bush said the same thing after 9-11, but it was Obama who brought Bin Laden to justice. I don't see where you come off saying Bush would have handled it better.
I guess you didn't bother to actually hear what Obama and Biden said today.

Washington (CNN) -- The United States on Wednesday vowed to avenge the killings of its ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, moving warships toward the Libyan coast and preparing to track the suspected perpetrators with surveillance drones, officials said.

Is there no end to how low you will stoop? It's falling on your sword time and you write this?

Obama is all talk...no action. And what action he does take is useless.

If some else hasn't come up with decisions for him to make...such as killing bin Laden...he either can't make a decision or screws things up when he does...a la Libya.

Romney is correct.

Romney criticized a statement from the embassy that happened before the attacks. Not only was Romney trying to make election hay out of the deaths of Americans, he was lying while doing it. And you are defending it. It's not a justified attack because it's not accurate.

Got a pass. Right. You don't actually know that, you were told that. Have you noticed how you use the exact phrasing you were given?

I don't know that? LMFAO... you mean I missed the entire 2006-2008 campaign period? Is that seriously what you said... I don't know that he was given a pass... I didn't witness it as it happened, as everyone else witnessed, and came up with the same phrase, which is used for every time that particular thing happens... the term "given a pass" wasn't invented for Obama or even elections... Leave the detective work to Colombo there gumshoe...

BTW... you may not be aware of this little known fact... But Obama picks the embassadors under his administration... and is responsible for their safety and well being... Their statements and actions are all meant to reflect the feelings of the president, and the position of the USA... So don't try and pass this off as if it had nothing to do with the president, and that it just came from the embassy... If it came from the embassy, they had to have been in contact with the White House in the immediacy of when this was going on... I understand he's out campaigning and isn't in the White House doing the president's work... but that's the protocol in that scenario...

This was the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and we are dealing witha people known to be of particular adgetation around anniversaries... and with the attack on the US Embassy in Kabul last year, you'd think they'd have been more prepared with adequate security for this...

Romney's statement criticized a statement put out by an American Embassy under Obama, that criticized a US film maker for their portrayal of Muslims... rather than taking a stand against the violent muslims who were surrounding the embassy... and how it fits into the larger pattern of action taken by this president, going around the world apologizing for Americans, and not standing up for them...

He's right to do so... and within his right to do so as well...

You want to talk about misdirected anger... You've got a president in power, who has routinely sat idle as Americans are harmed in foreign countries... and his answers have been about how wrong Americans are... Yet, you're fed up with the guy who is trying to take over his position and stand up for Americans and prevent them from being attacked abroad... It seems youre more upset with critical remarks made at the president, than the presidents own failed policies which lead to the attacks occuring in the first place...

Obama will get those bastards, your can bet on it. Obama does not make excuses he makes history.

LMFAO... Obama doesn't make excuses? Did you laugh as you typed that?

He's done nothing but point the finger and blame Bush for the current stalled economy, the Republicans in Congress for preventing him from fixing things, the rich in the country who havent paid their fair share (despite paying 40% of the tax burden) for wealth inequity, the big oil companies for making profits, the big pharmaceutical companies again for making profits, etc. (i know, such a bad thing, companies making profits... not wonder Obama's economy hasn't taken off... companies that make profit are viewed as bad, companies that go under like Solyndra are celebrated for their work)...

So you think since he moved warship near the Libyan coast, that he's done enough? What's he done for the situation in Egypt, where the US Embassy was raided? What's he done in response to the US Embassy being attacked in Kabul last year for pretty much the same reason?

Help me out for a second... which US president said "America has a trouble recognizing Europe's leading role in the world"? I'm glad we have his "leadership" in these moments of crisis :roll:

LMFAO... Obama doesn't make excuses? Did you laugh as you typed that?

He's done nothing but point the finger and blame Bush for the current stalled economy, the Republicans in Congress for preventing him from fixing things, the rich in the country who havent paid their fair share (despite paying 40% of the tax burden) for wealth inequity, the big oil companies for making profits, the big pharmaceutical companies again for making profits, etc. (i know, such a bad thing, companies making profits... not wonder Obama's economy hasn't taken off... companies that make profit are viewed as bad, companies that go under like Solyndra are celebrated for their work)...

So you think since he moved warship near the Libyan coast, that he's done enough? What's he done for the situation in Egypt, where the US Embassy was raided? What's he done in response to the US Embassy being attacked in Kabul last year for pretty much the same reason?

Help me out for a second... which US president said "America has a trouble recognizing Europe's leading role in the world"? I'm glad we have his "leadership" in these moments of crisis :roll:

And if you were President or rather what would you want a President to do do?

I suspect the biggest manhunt in history is underway right now. The Libyan government wants them as badly as we do. How embarrassed they must be. They'l;l cut peoples fingers off until somebody talks. They can only hope we get them first and even that won't save them.

Meanwhile, back at the State Department, security heads are gonna roll.

The initial response was pathetic but something tells me this poll is going to divide itself perfectly along party lines

Not surprisingly accurate. Liberals completely on one side and Conservatives completely on the other with a few independents scattered between them. If the situation were perfectly reversed, I wonder how many would keep their vote the same.

If some else hasn't come up with decisions for him to make...such as killing bin Laden...he either can't make a decision or screws things up when he does...a la Libya.

Romney is correct.

I wouldn't say Obama is all talk and no action. Obama said if we had Bin Laden in our sights, he would get him. Obama acted on that talk. Obama's role in Libya has been praised as a victory. His advisors told him to do nothing when Gaddfi was heading to Benghazi massacre its people. Obama told his advisors that was not acceptable. He sent them back to form a plan to save the people of Benghazi. His actions are seen as a victory by most of the world.
Obama has improved our image around the world, and we needed it. We don't need more enemies because of a warmongering reputation.

I wouldn't say Obama is all talk and no action. Obama said if we had Bin Laden in our sights, he would get him. Obama acted on that talk. Obama's role in Libya has been praised as a victory. His advisors told him to do nothing when Gaddfi was heading to Benghazi massacre its people. Obama told his advisors that was not acceptable. He sent them back to form a plan to save the people of Benghazi. His actions are seen as a victory by most of the world.
Obama has improved our image around the world, and we needed it. We don't need more enemies because of a warmongering reputation.

1. bin Laden is old news. Obama had to do nothing except not screw up a good thing. It's really not much of a feather in his cap.
2. Obama didn't need to do anything in Libya...and he really didn't, except get us involved. Now, we see the results of that involvement. Frankly, I'm not surprised at these events. So far, every situation Obama has made a decision on...without someone else, like Bush, making his decision easy...has been bad.
3. Improved our image...get real. More people in the Mid-East hate us more than ever. Heck, now people in Egypt and Libya are attacking us. Iran is laughing at us. And Israel doesn't trust us anymore. The Europeans routinely dismiss Obama when he tells them what they should do about their financial problems...with good reason considering how he has handled our own financial problems. Even Russia openly holds Obama in contempt. And China...to China, we are a necessary business partner...nothing more. If they didn't need our market, they wouldn't give us the time of day.

Yes. Obama is all talk and no action...except the few things he's acted on...made his own decision on...have been failures. He's a lightweight with no heavy-weight advisors. He's in over his head.

But, hey...he's a good talker and that means something to a lot of Americans. He might even get re-elected...god help us.

From what I understand, an official at the U.S. embassy in Egypt tweeted that they condemn the video and sympathize with the Muslim people and don't condone religious intolerance, blah..blah..blah. Regardless as to what your opinion is on the matter as to if the video was indeed offensive, it is important to note who set this whole thing off and why. This official at the embassy was not an Ambassador, and the tweet was not cleared with anyone else. Now why did it go out? Perhaps the large, increasingly upset, mob forming at the embassy's gates had something to do with it. In other words, the tweet was an attempt to stifle the tension.
This event occurred before the attack on the Libyan Embassy. So, how on earth could Romney twist this statement into one that was a direct response to the attacks? This whole campaign Romney's running stinks of desperation. They're grabbing at straws here. Literally turning a tragedy almost instantly into a political topic, and then misinforming everyone. Obama's response has been appropriate. What more can he do then send extra protection to all embassies?

1. bin Laden is old news. Obama had to do nothing except not screw up a good thing. It's really not much of a feather in his cap.
2. Obama didn't need to do anything in Libya...and he really didn't, except get us involved. Now, we see the results of that involvement. Frankly, I'm not surprised at these events. So far, every situation Obama has made a decision on...without someone else, like Bush, making his decision easy...has been bad.
3. Improved our image...get real. More people in the Mid-East hate us more than ever. Heck, now people in Egypt and Libya are attacking us. Iran is laughing at us. And Israel doesn't trust us anymore. The Europeans routinely dismiss Obama when he tells them what they should do about their financial problems...with good reason considering how he has handled our own financial problems. Even Russia openly holds Obama in contempt. And China...to China, we are a necessary business partner...nothing more. If they didn't need our market, they wouldn't give us the time of day.

Yes. Obama is all talk and no action...except the few things he's acted on...made his own decision on...have been failures. He's a lightweight with no heavy-weight advisors. He's in over his head.

But, hey...he's a good talker and that means something to a lot of Americans. He might even get re-elected...god help us.

Spoken along party lines. I wouldn't expect someone like you to paint anything Obama has done or will do in a good light.

From what I understand, an official at the U.S. embassy in Egypt tweeted that they condemn the video and sympathize with the Muslim people and don't condone religious intolerance, blah..blah..blah. Regardless as to what your opinion is on the matter as to if the video was indeed offensive, it is important to note who set this whole thing off and why. This official at the embassy was not an Ambassador, and the tweet was not cleared with anyone else. Now why did it go out? Perhaps the large, increasingly upset, mob forming at the embassy's gates had something to do with it. In other words, the tweet was an attempt to stifle the tension.
This event occurred before the attack on the Libyan Embassy. So, how on earth could Romney twist this statement into one that was a direct response to the attacks? This whole campaign Romney's running stinks of desperation. They're grabbing at straws here. Literally turning a tragedy almost instantly into a political topic, and then misinforming everyone. Obama's response has been appropriate. What more can he do then send extra protection to all embassies?

The problem for Obama, as I see it, isn't that he's reacting wrongly...though it's early yet, we'll see what effective action he'll take...it's that he's put the U.S. in a lousy situation to begin with. Now, he has to deal with the results and I, for one, don't have much confidence in him.

After all, if he hasn't had someone like Bush to set things up for him, he's pretty much blown every international situation that has arisen.

Spoken along party lines. I wouldn't expect someone like you to paint anything Obama has done or will do in a good light.

The only ones who manage to paint anything Obama's done in a good light are his rank and file koolaid drinkers.

Like you.

The only ones who manage to paint anything Obama's done in a good light are his rank and file koolaid drinkers.

Like you.

Wow, you really have to get new lines. The party rank and file right must have as limited a vocabulary as they do a limited imagination.

Wow, you really have to get new lines. The party rank and file right must have as limited a vocabulary as they do a limited imagination.

Oh...I have many lines, but I only use the ones that are necessary. It didn't take much to respond to you effectively.

The religious right is stirring up these protests, so it's not a wonder that they are also warning people that a Jihad will be in our future. If countries that have Muslim leaderships are convinced that the US is against Muslims, it would be no wonder that we would get some back lash from it. The religious right, IMHO, are the instigators. They need to tone this down to prevent further violence. The religious right in this country wouldn't act any differently toward a country they feel wants to wage war with Christians.
Now, what we have learned about the attack in Libya is it was not the doing of protesters, but an organized terrorist attack taking place at the same time people were protesting religious insensitivity from the US religious right.
The religious right in this country needs to tone it down.

We have a thing called freedom of speech in this country and if someone thinks they need to expose what they feel is the truth about the Muslim religion they can and should do so. Being intimidated by threats of and acts of terrorism for expressing your opinion just proves you are right. Oppressors always threaten people to remain quiet or die and it is discouraging that people like you are so readily willing to give in to this tactic.

I bet OBL said that right before he heard a noise outside...

Romney is correct.

Romney ended his political career yesterday.

Most Americans now know he should never get near the WH.

Back
Top Bottom