• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romney Plays The Long Game In A GOP Civil War

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
I have always admired Mitt Romney for his brilliance. I voted for the man multiple times over a period of years and would do so again in a heartbeat. Mitt Romney famously said that Russia was our next geopolitical foe and everyone even Obama laughed in his face! Four years later we have a President that is owned by ex-KGB strongmen and the Russian Mob. Romney also seemingly predicted in his 47% comment how partisan the country was.

I best describe Romney as the guy in Washington who knows everything about everyone with no power to do anything about it. That's about to change. Romney has pretty much stayed out of the spotlight while securing his election to the Utah Senate. Crushing any chance of a blue wave there. He has 90+% approval in the state. Plus he fared way better than Mia Love. He won the election with 72 percent of the vote. Love lost by nearly 700 votes.

Romney is said to seek three key positions in Senate: The Foreign Relations Committee. The Finance Committee. The Commerce Committee. Romney is set to replace retiring Orin Hatch as President Pro Tempore of the Senate. Who just so happens to be third in the line of succession. Paul Ryan is retiring and Romney pretty much can hand pick the speaker position. Romney also flirted with the Secretary of State job which actually seems to be a less powerful position than what he has now.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is already starting his re-election campaign for 2020, but Romney is eyeing the job of Senate Majority Leader for himself as well! He is realizing his dreams of remaking the Republican Party in his image and he has plans in place long after Trump is gone. No matter if it's 2020 or even earlier.

Analysts are confused by Romney's entry into becoming a freshman senator, but one thing most people agree on is that if Trump doesn't run in 2020, Romney will have built up enough of the Republican Party to take it back and be almost undefeatable in a primary. Many believe that Romney will have a hard time beating Trump, but it's smooth sailing to the Presidency if Trump doesn't run.

Another option for Romney could be that if Trump does run, and he does run. He could re-launch NeverTrump efforts and form his own political party, and run as an independent with a number of moderate Republicans at his side. He certainly has the finances to do this, the sanity, and the political muscle.

Romney's rise to President all depends on what happens with the Mueller report and who goes down in the Republican Party. With dozens of sealed indictments and almost no high profile Republican targeted yet, you know senators and house members long suspected of having Russian ties are going down. Romney knows more than we do. That is almost a certainty. He sees an in and he is taking it.

Trump's power past 2020, rests on his current few people remaining, remaining in power and not going to jail. In near or far future investigations which is almost impossible to escape from. Trump has made almost no friends in the Republican Party and does little in the way of basic political deal-making that is required to get things done. With many conservative republicans and others saying he doesn't have the capacity to think that way. He's too reactive and only cares about loyalty without giving it. Romney is a completely different political animal.

Let the games begin!

did you watch his Netflix documentary? kind of humanizes him a bit. i mean, he's still sort of a predatory capitalist corporate **** that shows up at your job and you immediately know that everyone is going to be fired after they milk the company for everything that it's worth, but the movie makes you feel a little bit sorry for him.

The job of President pro Tempore of the Senate is normally given to the majority party Senator with the longest years of service in that body. So what claim would Romney have in that area?

The job of President pro Temper of the Senate is normally given to the majority party Senator with the longest years of service in that body. So what claim would Romney have in that area?

Orin Hatch said he would only leave if Romney ran.

I have always admired Mitt Romney for his brilliance. I voted for the man multiple times over a period of years and would do so again in a heartbeat. Mitt Romney famously said that Russia was our next geopolitical foe and everyone even Obama laughed in his face! Four years later we have a President that is owned by ex-KGB strongmen and the Russian Mob. Romney also seemingly predicted in his 47% comment how partisan the country was.

I best describe Romney as the guy in Washington who knows everything about everyone with no power to do anything about it. That's about to change. Romney has pretty much stayed out of the spotlight while securing his election to the Utah Senate. Crushing any chance of a blue wave there. He has 90+% approval in the state. Plus he fared way better than Mia Love. He won the election with 72 percent of the vote. Love lost by nearly 700 votes.

Romney is said to seek three key positions in Senate: The Foreign Relations Committee. The Finance Committee. The Commerce Committee. Romney is set to replace retiring Orin Hatch as President Pro Tempore of the Senate. Who just so happens to be third in the line of succession. Paul Ryan is retiring and Romney pretty much can hand pick the speaker position. Romney also flirted with the Secretary of State job which actually seems to be a less powerful position than what he has now.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is already starting his re-election campaign for 2020, but Romney is eyeing the job of Senate Majority Leader for himself as well! He is realizing his dreams of remaking the Republican Party in his image and he has plans in place long after Trump is gone. No matter if it's 2020 or even earlier.

Analysts are confused by Romney's entry into becoming a freshman senator, but one thing most people agree on is that if Trump doesn't run in 2020, Romney will have built up enough of the Republican Party to take it back and be almost undefeatable in a primary. Many believe that Romney will have a hard time beating Trump, but it's smooth sailing to the Presidency if Trump doesn't run.

Another option for Romney could be that if Trump does run, and he does run. He could re-launch NeverTrump efforts and form his own political party, and run as an independent with a number of moderate Republicans at his side. He certainly has the finances to do this, the sanity, and the political muscle.

Romney's rise to President all depends on what happens with the Mueller report and who goes down in the Republican Party. With dozens of sealed indictments and almost no high profile Republican targeted yet, you know senators and house members long suspected of having Russian ties are going down. Romney knows more than we do. That is almost a certainty. He sees an in and he is taking it.

Trump's power past 2020, rests on his current few people remaining, remaining in power and not going to jail. In near or far future investigations which is almost impossible to escape from. Trump has made almost no friends in the Republican Party and does little in the way of basic political deal-making that is required to get things done. With many conservative republicans and others saying he doesn't have the capacity to think that way. He's too reactive and only cares about loyalty without giving it. Romney is a completely different political animal.

Let the games begin!

How will Romney...as a Senator...pretty much hand pick the Speaker of the House position?

did you watch his Netflix documentary? kind of humanizes him a bit. i mean, he's still sort of a predatory capitalist corporate **** that shows up at your job and you immediately know that everyone is going to be fired after they milk the company for everything that it's worth, but the movie makes you feel a little bit sorry for him.

Yes. That was a great documentary! Should have released it during the race...

Let the games begin!

yall just clinging to any hope for 2020. sad and funny at the same time

Orin Hatch said he would only leave if Romney ran.

Yes - run for his seat in Utah. Hatch cannot simply hand over his spot as President pro Tempore of the Senate as that position normally goes to the Majority Party Senator with the most years of service.

Yes. That was a great documentary! Should have released it during the race...

yeah, probably. however, i'm not sure that it would have done him any good.

That many Democrats now love Romney is the best example of the lack of integrity of those Democrats.

Let the games begin!

Was just watching the following video the other day. Watch a Republican speak in fluent sentences with coherent thoughts!

That many Democrats now love Romney is the best example of the lack of integrity of those Democrats.

That is so disconnected from reality and tribe-based.

How so? He is a moderate Republican that in the era of Trump has become appealing to many, they still probably would not vote for him but he represents the more reasonable side of the party.

How so? He is a moderate Republican that in the era of Trump has become appealing to many, they still probably would not vote for him but he represents the more reasonable side of the party.

I'm looking forward to basking in Bush II validation.

Yes - run for his seat in Utah. Hatch cannot simply hand over his spot as President pro Tempore of the Senate as that position normally goes to the Majority Party Senator with the most years of service.

Woops. I see that Chuck Grassley would likely be next. We'll see how many go down in the Mueller Report. Shall we?

I voted for Romney more than I have voted for any Democrat ever. So what "lack of integrity" you talking about?

Woops. I see that Chuck Grassley would likely be next. We'll see how many go down in the Mueller Report. Shall we?

No problem. The only reason I knew that was from 33 years of teaching government. Its a pretty obscure fact.

No problem. The only reason I knew that was from 33 years of teaching government. Its a pretty obscure fact.

I didn't realize those two were seperate depicted by years of service in the senate rather than that senator saying who they want to replace them. I don't know much about the senate, I just know that Romney is eyeing some pretty powerful moves here.

I didn't realize those two were seperate depicted by years of service in the senate rather than that senator saying who they want to replace them. I don't know much about the senate, I just know that Romney is eyeing some pretty powerful moves here.

Because of his age, (71) he will not have the time to put in the number of terms to really rise to power as the Senate still very much prides seniority. But he stands to be a very interesting figure - especially if Trump falls by the wayside.

Because of his age, (71) he will not have the time to put in the number of terms to really rise to power as the Senate still very much prides seniority. But he stands to be a very interesting figure - especially if Trump falls by the wayside.

Well, I mean people generally don't like Senate freshmen to have too much power and Romney is asking for a lot already while eyeing certain key positions of power that could remake the senate in his image. I'm not sure how quickly he can get it done either, but I think being a Presidential candidate that they all got behind at one point or another has significant symbolic meaning.

Back
Top Bottom