• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romney Joins Senate with Warning to Trump

So what are they doing? Last I heard, the Bushes aren't holding any offices, and Kasich has been silent and has no oversight power over Trump anyway.

so now the GOP only means those in office? Before we can discuss something, we have to agree to what definitions mean

I guess the Bushes and Kasich are no longer GOP

All of them have been shunned by the majority of the GOP base. Trump runs the show now.

Yeah, that's gonna last about 10 seconds. Romney's backbone is just as non-existent as the rest of his GOP sycophantsView attachment 67247104.

I was going to post this picture, but wanted to check through the thread first to make sure, so I didn't duplicate it.

Yeah, I don't trust Romney as far as I can throw his $1 million dollar underground garage. **** that guy. Seriously.

you aren't exactly known for having the warm fuzzies for the GOP. I don't have much use for the Dems, and I have never denied that. Now I have voted for Dems on state or more local races. I was torn between Cordray vs DeWhine. and I voted for Cordray in 2010 when it was the same two running for AG in Ohio. I won't vote for a Dem in federal races though.

I voted for a GOP AG Rob McKenna (think more than once) and R Secretary of State, Ralph Monroe for years. This "modern" GOP has changed, T.D. They have to run further and further to the right in order to avoid being primaried. That primary system is ****ed up on both sides, by the way and I wish there was some way we could do away with it.

But you kind of dodged my main point: trump is a corrupt, crazy, and ignorant mother****er who is majorly unqualified to be president. And you compared his character to Pelosi which you have to admit, is laughable.

You brought up Pelosi's wealth and I countered with McConnells - crickets from you so I assume you know you lost that one!

so now the GOP only means those in office? Before we can discuss something, we have to agree to what definitions mean

Yes. Who cares what somebody with no oversight power thinks? Kasich says nothing anyway, and the Bushes? They also say nothing, and they don't even have to fear the retribution of Republican voters.

Only if Trump resigns or is impeached. If neither happens, and the base still supports him (likely), there will be no primary challenger in 2020.

I actually have 100 buck bet with my niece saying there will be. I don't know how sucessful the challenge will be, but he won't be running the primary unopposed

LOL! You are comparing Pelosi to a criminal.

I'm just saying their vote-getting and vote counting prowess is/was comparable. Not talking about morals.

I voted for a GOP AG Rob McKenna (think more than once) and R Secretary of State, Ralph Monroe for years. This "modern" GOP has changed, T.D. They have to run further and further to the right in order to avoid being primaried. That primary system is ****ed up on both sides, by the way and I wish there was some way we could do away with it.

But you kind of dodged my main point: trump is a corrupt, crazy, and ignorant mother****er who is majorly unqualified to be president. And you compared his character to Pelosi which you have to admit, is laughable.

You brought up Pelosi's wealth and I countered with McConnells - crickets from you so I assume you know you lost that one!

Republicans don't whine about wealth-do they? they don't pander to class envy. I think the policies and judges Hillary would have tried to foist on America would have been worse for the America I want than those pushed by Trump.

They are still GOP, but they are also GOP who don't matter.

you don't think former Presidents have any influence in the party? Do Obama and Bill Clinton still matter in the DNC?

you don't think former Presidents have any influence in the party? Do Obama and Bill Clinton still matter in the DNC?

The DNC has not been taken over by a cult leader.

Only one person has complete reign in the GOP: Donald Trump.

The DNC has not been taken over by a cult leader.

Only one person has complete reign in the GOP: Donald Trump.

I love the attitude that the Hillary faithful have-you all picked someone who has been a two time loser because you wanted so desperately to claim the first female president. Bad news-the Clintons are a cult too

I love the attitude that the Hillary faithful have-you all picked someone who has been a two time loser because you wanted so desperately to claim the first female president. Bad news-the Clintons are a cult too

What year is this?

The Clinton cult -- if it existed -- went the way of other cults. To the **** can.

That ship has sailed. The fact that Hillary lost to a NYC reality TV con artist should have been the painful evidence we all needed to see.

Now we must rid ourselves of this new cult because it is much more insidious. It's like that pink goo stuff in one of the seasons of Supernatural. Makes people dumber.

Republicans don't whine about wealth-do they? they don't pander to class envy. I think the policies and judges Hillary would have tried to foist on America would have been worse for the America I want than those pushed by Trump.

Still a dodge of my counter to your original points. I accept your surrender, my friend.

Bush Sr. and Jr. begged the GOP voters in the primaries to NOT vote for Trump. Obviously, their influence is completely gone.

Wondered how Romney would land in the Senate. Now we know. A hopeful sign, and this declared independence raises the question of whether he is laying the ground for a primary challenge.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/wi...p-washington-post-op-ed-days-entering-senate/

Blessedly, Romney won his senatorship with clinging to Trump's political "coattails." What distinguishes Romney from other GOP members of Congress is that despite long before Trump's ascendancy their having their own political and other reputations/accomplishments, they, unlike Romney, opted to hitch themselves to the "Trump train" instead of on their own earning their seats without regard to Trump's approbation. To wit, it was, from long before Romney's senatorship campaign commenced, clear Romney despised Trump and various policies, and most ways and means Trump advocates/employs, yet Romney won his Senate seat.

It is well known that Donald Trump was not my choice for the Republican presidential nomination. After he became the nominee, I hoped his campaign would refrain from resentment and name-calling. It did not. When he won the election, I hoped he would rise to the occasion. His early appointments of Rex Tillerson, Jeff Sessions, Nikki Haley, Gary Cohn, H.R. McMaster, Kelly and Mattis were encouraging. But, on balance, his conduct over the past two years, particularly his actions this month, is evidence that the president has not risen to the mantle of the office.​

Romney went on to identify several policies Trump has implemented and of which Romney approves. However, as Romney notes, those policies are mainstream GOP policies. In other words, any Republican would have aimed to implement them. Accordingly, there's not good reason for forbear Trump.

Bush Sr. and Jr. begged the GOP voters in the primaries to NOT vote for Trump. Obviously, their influence is completely gone.

well we will never really know who followed their advice or not, will we?

Still a dodge of my counter to your original points. I accept your surrender, my friend.

wrong-the fact is-for many of us, Trump was the better choice. For many like you, Hillary was the better choice. I am glad Trump picked the last two supreme court justices, not Hillary.

What year is this?

The Clinton cult -- if it existed -- went the way of other cults. To the **** can.

That ship has sailed. The fact that Hillary lost to a NYC reality TV con artist should have been the painful evidence we all needed to see.

Now we must rid ourselves of this new cult because it is much more insidious. It's like that pink goo stuff in one of the seasons of Supernatural. Makes people dumber.

How does Trump's presidency makes who dumber?

well we will never really know who followed their advice or not, will we?

obviously a record 14 million GOP primary votes didn't.

wrong-the fact is-for many of us, Trump was the better choice. For many like you, Hillary was the better choice. I am glad Trump picked the last two supreme court justices, not Hillary.

Dodging again. We weren't talking about Hillary. Lets review. I opined that Romney would cave and become one of trump's GOP fellow butt-boys. You the said the Dems did the same thing regarding Pelosi, which I pretty much agreed with except you laughably compared trump's character to Pelosi's You wrongly stated that trump and romney came into their fortunes so honorably, unlike Pelosi. You also singled out Pelosi for profiting off her office, I said something like, "so what so did McConnell" a point to which you continue to remain silent.

Truce request: Forget about trump. Admit, at least least admit Pelosi is no better or worse in character than McConnell. Will you at least give me that, friend?

I really do enjoy our chats :)

Dodging again. We weren't talking about Hillary. Lets review. I opined that Romney would cave and become one of trump's GOP fellow butt-boys. You the said the Dems did the same thing regarding Pelosi, which I pretty much agreed with except you laughably compared trump's character to Pelosi's You wrongly stated that trump and romney came into their fortunes so honorably, unlike Pelosi. You also singled out Pelosi for profiting off her office, I said something like, "so what so did McConnell" a point to which you continue to remain silent.

Truce request: Forget about trump. Admit, at least least admit Pelosi is no better or worse in character than McConnell. Will you at least give me that, friend?

I really do enjoy our chats :)

well I tend to like turtles so I have a soft spot for Mitch over the little Mafia princess but your point has merit

Romney lost his bid for the presidency because he chose to run as an anti-Obama candidate instead of a pro Republican candidate. And he lost.

When Trump ran for president Romney became a forefront person as an anti-Trump person. Trump wins Romney loses again. Romney wins a senate seat and Trump endorsed him during his senate bid.

I do not see Romney challenging Trump in 2020 after less than 2 years in the Senate. And I also don't see him supporting any of the 30 some possibilities of a candidate to challenge Trump in the Democratic party. For you see many of the very things Trump has accomplished in his less than two years are on par with Romney's mindset.

s

Wondered how Romney would land in the Senate. Now we know. A hopeful sign, and this declared independence raises the question of whether he is laying the ground for a primary challenge.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/wi...p-washington-post-op-ed-days-entering-senate/

No it answers the question. He's up for it and this is definitely the first shovel full of groundwork.

He's probably expecting Trump to resign and a primary against Pence looks easy because Pence doesn't have a great following. He certainly doesn't have a personality cult like Trump does. If Trump survives till 2020 he'll likely be weak enough for a primary challenge anyway. Romney is trying to win the party back for the traditionalists.

Back
Top Bottom