• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romney for President?

Doug64

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So it seems there are those pushing for Romney to try a third time:

i would like the chance to vote for Romney again, he’s the only Republican candidate I’ve ever voted for, but I don’t see it. He would have had a decent chance of beating Obama in 2008 if the McCain and Huckabee campaigns hadn’t conspired to freeze him out of the primaries (the reason why, in the end, I couldn’t pull the lever for McCain), and had a decent chance again in 2012 if he had offered a vigorous defense of his statements and positions. But the Republican Party is changing into an organization in which there is even less room for Romney Republicans than there was before.

House Republicans are taking a page out of former President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign playbook and rebranding the GOP as the working man’s party.

On a range of issues from immigration to trade to mandates, Republicans say their party has become a refuge for blue-collar voters who are increasingly alienated by an elitist and authoritarian Democratic Party.

“The left, which now controls the Democrat Party, has made them the party of the super mega-wealthy who live on the coasts and people who don’t work. The Republican Party is everybody else,” Rep. Jim Jordan, Ohio Republican, told The Washington Times.

Republican leadership is giving the party’s image a makeover from one of corporate corner offices and country clubs to one that’s more truck stops and construction sites — and one that’s increasingly diverse.

Over the last decade, Republicans made a 12% gain among blue-collar voters who now affiliate themselves with the party, according to a recent NBC News poll.

LOL
Goodluck with this boondoggle!
He might raise money but the votes are not there.
I think I said as much. It’s a shame, Romney would be a much better president than either Trump or Biden*, but as the commentator in the Deseret News article says at the end, if Trump wants the Republican nomination it’s probably his for the taking (though there might be some surprises in store, of the opposition to Trump can coalesce around the right candidate). So if Trump runs, if the current situation holds into 2024 he almost certainly beats whoever the Democrats nominate by a hair, if not comfortably.

He's too sane, the right will never go for it. I mean he voted to convict Trump twice. Think uglier, more bizarre, and a little greasy, like Ted Cruz, or DeSantis. That's the ticket!

i would like the chance to vote for Romney again, he’s the only Republican candidate I’ve ever voted for, but I don’t see it. He would have had a decent chance of beating Obama in 2008 if the McCain and Huckabee campaigns hadn’t conspired to freeze him out of the primaries (the reason why, in the end, I couldn’t pull the lever for McCain), and had a decent chance again in 2012 if he had offered a vigorous defense of his statements and positions. But the Republican Party is changing into an organization in which there is even less room for Romney Republicans than there was before.

Romney's presidential ship has sailed...thanks to Obama. All he can do now is what he's doing: Trying to save his fellow GOP Elites from the Republican rank and file.

I think we ended up with Trump partly because if what happened to Romney in 2012. You have one of the most upstanding politicians taken down with racism, sexism and extremist attacks. So the GOP said if they are going to label us that no matter what let's just elect the best personality no matter the lack of leadership or baggage they bring

Romney's presidential ship has sailed...thanks to Obama. All he can do now is what he's doing: Trying to save his fellow GOP Elites from the Republican rank and file.

Maybe the ship has sailed, maybe not.

You do realize that some of the "Republican rank and file" will just become "GOP Elites". That is what a few want to be. More power. Just like Trump.:unsure:

Maybe the ship has sailed, maybe not.

You do realize that some of the "Republican rank and file" will just become "GOP Elites". That is what a few want to be. More power. Just like Trump.:unsure:
Trump isn't interested in becoming an Elite.

But there is always the possibility that some Trump supporters...if elected...will succumb to the allure of power, position and money. It has certainly happened before.

But Romney isn't a Trump supporter gone bad. He's always been an Elite.

So true!! Why Trump is so very humble and common, it's like he's one of us!

After I post this, I will take a break in my golden penthouse with my trophy husband while my child plays with their toy limousines.

r.mahaux-trump-family.jpg

After I post this, I will take a break in my golden penthouse with my trophy husband while my child plays with their toy limousines.

He's rich, but he's not a "political Elite".

(I don't think you understand what that term means.)

Ironically it's Trump's lack of "class" which lets him pass for middle class. He's bourgeois in every sense!

He's rich, but he's not a "political Elite".

(I don't think you understand what that term means.)

He was President. That's about as politically elite as you can get even though he tries to play the "anti-elite" card, when it suites him.

"We are the super elite"

He's too sane, the right will never go for it. I mean he voted to convict Trump twice. Think uglier, more bizarre, and a little greasy, like Ted Cruz, or DeSantis. That's the ticket!

I could vote for Cruz or DeSantis (preferably the latter). I can’t vote for Trump.

He was President. That's about as politically elite as you can get even though he tries to play the "anti-elite" card, when it suites him.

"We are the super elite"

Again, I don't think you understand what the term means.

Moving on...

It would be foolish for people to think its in the bag for Trump - or if it is, that he will get as many votes as he got last time. He hasn't exactly distinguished himself in political exile.

It is true that many GOP controlled states have put things in place that will enable them to award the electoral votes to whom they want as opposed to the actual winner. Any Republican candidate has that going for him or her.

And it is possible that the GOP could cancel the primaries altogether and award Trump the nomination.

But if they do hold primaries, Trump, Desantis and Hogan could run and Trump and Desantis split the crazy vote allowing Hogan to win.

Stay tuned!

It would be foolish for people to think its in the bag for Trump - or if it is, that he will get as many votes as he got last time. He hasn't exactly distinguished himself in political exile.

True, but after the Biden* disaster whoever the Democrats nominate would essentially have to reject everything the Biden administration* stands for to have a real chance of winning, and I don’t see anyone able to do that and win the Democratic nomination.

But there is always the possibility that some Trump supporters...if elected...will succumb to the allure of power, position and money. It has certainly happened before.

But Romney isn't a Trump supporter gone bad. He's always been an Elite.

I agree. Trump does not want to be an "Elite". He just wants to be King Dictator. Look at who he holds in high esteem (Putin, Kim Jung-un)

No. Mr. Magic Underwear needs to go.

Again, I don't think you understand what the term means.

Moving on...

I don't think you do. If Trump wasn't a political elite he would not have such a hold on the Republican party. Plus you can't deny (but will) he doesn't see the Trump family becoming some political dynasty.

You said Trump isn't interested in becoming an "elite" and you completely ignored the video I posted where he specifically states "we are the elite" thus he is very, very interested in being politically elite.

I could vote for Cruz or DeSantis (preferably the latter). I can’t vote for Trump.
That's what I was thinking. The new conservatives have a different agenda now then they used to.

Back
Top Bottom