• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romney for President?

So it seems there are those pushing for Romney to try a third time:

i would like the chance to vote for Romney again, he’s the only Republican candidate I’ve ever voted for, but I don’t see it. He would have had a decent chance of beating Obama in 2008 if the McCain and Huckabee campaigns hadn’t conspired to freeze him out of the primaries (the reason why, in the end, I couldn’t pull the lever for McCain), and had a decent chance again in 2012 if he had offered a vigorous defense of his statements and positions. But the Republican Party is changing into an organization in which there is even less room for Romney Republicans than there was before.

He can't win.

Only a centrist Dem can win, not a centrist republican.

He can't win.

Romney should be able to run as a Dem. He’s a rino as best but sure acts like a Dem. Come 2024 Dems won’t have anyone who can win. china Joe is an idiot and Kommie is…….well…..also a idiot And America is already tired of the both of these two assclowns

That's what I was thinking. The new conservatives have a different agenda now then they used to.

True. I don't agree with everything the new Republican Party is supporting, but I do think much of it is long overdue and it seems to be pulling at least some minorities off of the Liberal plantation they've been trapped on for generations.

He can't win.

Romney should be able to run as a Dem. He’s a rino as best but sure acts like a Dem. Come 2024 Dems won’t have anyone who can win. china Joe is an idiot and Kommie is…….well…..also a idiot And America is already tired of the both of these two assclowns

Not a chance, no Moderate of any stripe has a serious chance of winning the Democratic nomination, the hard-Left core has gotten too much power in the party. Biden* was the best they could do, and look how that turned out!

Not a chance, no Moderate of any stripe has a serious chance of winning the Democratic nomination, the hard-Left core has gotten too much power in the party. Biden* was the best they could do, and look how that turned out!

Biden is not a moderate.

I'd switch party affiliation to vote for him as a Republican in the primary then vote for the Dem in the General. As a never (again) Trumper Pub, he's more to my liking than Liz Cheney for sure, but less to my liking than Adam Kinzinger.

I'd switch party affiliation to vote for him as a Republican in the primary then vote for the Dem in the General. As a never (again) Trumper Pub, he's more to my liking than Liz Cheney for sure, but less to my liking than Adam Kinzinger.

I wish more voters were willing to do that. Whoever the Democrats is, no Dem could love them more than they hate Trump.

I'm still holding out for Republicans to change their primary rules. They could at least make all state contests proportional (like the Dems) or they could leapfrog the Dems and gather preference ballots to be calculated at the Convention. Either would make it a lot harder for Trump who has a solid base but would be put last by everyone else.

Preferencing allows every candidate to stay in the race to the end, without any vote-splitting penalty to the candidate/s most like them. Dems should do it too, btw.

Romney?

He is a moderate republican. The deplorables won't turn out for him.

I think we ended up with Trump partly because if what happened to Romney in 2012. You have one of the most upstanding politicians taken down with racism, sexism and extremist attacks. So the GOP said if they are going to label us that no matter what let's just elect the best personality no matter the lack of leadership or baggage they bring
No, the GOP did not "say" that. trump won the primary with a plurality, not a majority. Most republicans did not want him.

No, the GOP did not "say" that. trump won the primary with a plurality, not a majority. Most republicans did not want him.

John McCain didn't win a majority in the primaries either.

John McCain didn't win a majority in the primaries either.

I shouldn't care about how Republicans mis-handle their primaries. But the major party primaries are a good testing ground for future reform of the Presidency and House.

To be honest, 45% is close enough and if was among all the states (it wasn't) then second preferences would have got Trump the majority in 2016.

Romney thinks that Russia is a geopolitical opponent and a threat to peace. Clearly he's stuck in the 1980s, and not ready to be President.

Trump isn't interested in becoming an Elite.

Aside from money that is the ONLY thing Trump cares about
But there is always the possibility that some Trump supporters...if elected...will succumb to the allure of power, position and money. It has certainly happened before.

But Romney isn't a Trump supporter gone bad. He's always been an Elite.
True unlike Trump Romney has morals and cares about the country.

Romney thinks that Russia is a geopolitical opponent and a threat to peace. Clearly he's stuck in the 1980s, and not ready to be President.

So Russia isn't a geopolitical opponent, despite their heavy presence in oil and their huge nuclear stockpile? Russia isn't a threat to peace?

Maybe it's you that is stuck in the past.

So Russia isn't a geopolitical opponent, despite their heavy presence in oil and their huge nuclear stockpile? Russia isn't a threat to peace?

Maybe it's you that is stuck in the past.

Pshh. The Cold War has been over for 20 years, bro. The idea that Russia is a geopolitcal threat is obviously just silly.

[

Romney Not Ready.gif

1980s are calling and they want their foreign policy back, Spirit. ;) It's the 21st Century, man.

Oh right. Now that they don't have their empire, the Russian Federation are quite harmless. Nukes have somehow become irrelevant?

i would like the chance to vote for Romney again, he’s the only Republican candidate I’ve ever voted for, but I don’t see it. He would have had a decent chance of beating Obama in 2008 if the McCain and Huckabee campaigns hadn’t conspired to freeze him out of the primaries (the reason why, in the end, I couldn’t pull the lever for McCain), and had a decent chance again in 2012 if he had offered a vigorous defense of his statements and positions. But the Republican Party is changing into an organization in which there is even less room for Romney Republicans than there was before.

I voted third party in 2012, I didn’t trust Romney and had lost faith in Obama, so I voted against both. Romney today, is liked by independents much more than Trump. With the Republican Party still the smaller of the two major parties, they must win the independent vote or lose the election. Romney’s problem, the Republican Party isn’t about to nominate him, they’re too in love with Trump. Although Romney has a much better chance at winning the general election than Trump. Romney can win independents, Trump can’t. Trump gets the Republican nomination, loses in the general due to the independent vote. Romney who can attract and win the independent vote and the general election, can’t get the GOP nomination. Catch 22 for the GOP.

54% of independents dislike or disapprove, have an unfavorable view of Trump today. That’s an improvement from 60% in Nov 2020, when independents voted for Biden 54-41. From 58% in Nov 2018 when the Democrats experienced a blue wave election with independents voting for Democratic congressional candidates 54-42 and from 57% in 2016 when Trump won independents 46-42 with 12% voting against both Trump and Hillary. Trump was lucky in 2016 to face Hillary Clinton who 70% of independents disliked her. Only 39% of independents have a positive view of Trump today while 49% view Romney favorably.

@Perotista, you’re right about Trump’s “Like” numbers, but those aren’t necessarily indicative of how they’ll vote. Especially if the other major party candidate is equally disliked. You are also right about Romney’s chances of winning the Republican primaries, unfortunately, I suspect those are Trump’s for the taking if he chooses to run (likely). Though if he’s facing a single serious primary opponent, perhaps not—his support is solid, but perhaps not as broad as people think.

Mitt? I guess so. After all, Arlen Spector is dead.

I think we ended up with Trump partly because if what happened to Romney in 2012. You have one of the most upstanding politicians taken down with racism, sexism and extremist attacks. So the GOP said if they are going to label us that no matter what let's just elect the best personality no matter the lack of leadership or baggage they bring
Unfortunately that hurt a lot of people. Ya got called names? Be a grown up about it :/

True. I don't agree with everything the new Republican Party is supporting, but I do think much of it is long overdue and it seems to be pulling at least some minorities off of the Liberal plantation they've been trapped on for generations.

There is no liberal plantation. Your patronizing attitude wont get you votes.

This is really why America is such an awful place. Voters dont give a **** who they hurt with their votes.

There is no liberal plantation. Your patronizing attitude wont get you votes.

Preaching that the United States is not an oppressive society and so individuals can succeed regardless of race or ethnicity is the exact opposite of "patronizing."

He's an clueless asshole. Let's just keep Biden then, it can't be worse.

Back
Top Bottom