• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romney Destroys Trump a "con man" and Fraud

Fearandloathing

How long is now?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has opened up on Donald Trump, calling him a "con man" and a "fraud".

Romney launched a blistering attack on Donald Trump. In an effort to change the dynamic of this primary season, Romney offered blistering words, characterizing Trump as a "fraud" and a "phony" who needed to be stopped. He said that Trump was "playing the American public for suckers."

"His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University," the 2012 candidate said. "He has neither the temperament or the judgment to be president." While he encouraged primary voters to vote for any of Trump's remaining challengers, there's a real question about whether an attack from Romney, as an embodiment of the GOP establishment, will help the Republican frontrunner more than it hurts him.

Will Romney's blistering attack on Trump backfire? - CNN.com

Will it alter the dynamic?

Last edited:
Coming from a double failure...

Why is he a con man? Why is he a fraud? EVIDENCE.

Oh...so you were trolling.

Posting my opinions and questions I don't think is trolling, best look up the definition before starting to use that word.

Man who ran away from Romneycare and his past as a moderate Republican governor........to become a "severe conservative" who hated all things liberal to win a primary......calls someone else a "con man" and a fraud"?

Man who was as notorious as it can get for being an "empty suit" calls someone else a fraud?

They're both frauds.

A desperate rant by an Establishment front man (and loser) directed towards a really, really, really pissed off, anti-Establishment electorate? Um... no. If it alters anything it will be boosting Hillary's chances of becoming the next president in a sort of scorched-earth, sore loser scenario.

Coming from a double failure...

Why is he a con man? Why is he a fraud? EVIDENCE.

If you haven't seen evidence of Trump's status as a con man or why he is a fraud, then you have actively tried to avoid looking at the evidence.

Hell, the man is currently facing multiple lawsuits where the specific claim for which he faces civil liability is fraud. As for con man, I suppose you could point to the fact that he has actively and repeatedly campaigned and supported proposals that are the exact opposite of the policies that he proposes today. In fact, one might wonder why he is running for office as a Republican given his extensive history of supporting Democratic ideals. That is, until you remember the whole allegation of being a con man.

Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has opened up on Donald Trump, calling him a "con man" and a "fraud".

It will probably result in more support for Trump; Romney is no one to be casting stones, on any of the 'issues' he raised attacking Trump, which is already backfiring. Right wing radio broke out the 2012 speeches where Romney sings the praises of Trump almost immediately, along with Romney's P/E Fund's record of driving sound companies into bankruptcy, something like a 50% rate. Same is already happening re illegal immigration, taxes, et al. The Establishment really has nowhere to go; they have zero credibility on any issue. It's the price thery are paying for being nothing but U.S. Chamber of Commerce employees for decades.

Last edited:
A desperate rant by an Establishment front man (and loser) directed towards a really, really, really pissed off, anti-Establishment electorate? Um... no.
The GOP establishment lacks the true "super delegates" of the Democratic party to check the popular choice. So, they went and got Romney to serve as a "super, super delegate".

Though I did not nominate Trump, I hope the establishment fails badly.

I don't think he realizes that that will help Trump rather than hurt him. People aren't voting for Trump as much as they are voting against politicians. If Romney says don't vote for Trump, they are going to dig in a ignore any imperfection to vote for him.

Vote Trump because the politicians tell you not to.

I seriously doubt he destroyed Trump. What he did was attack Trump. That has been going on since the start of the campaign. Will it alter the dynamic? I don't know but I suspect it would be more likely to solidify Trump support rather than to change it. Romney is part of the establishment Trump supporters are attacking. It won't change their minds at all.

I just listened to the speech and was struck by two things in particular:

1. The first thing that struck me was that he based his speech on Reagan's "A Time for Choosing". That was really, really ironic since back in '64 the GOP was in full revolt against another "rebel" candidate and among the leaders of that revolt was a governor from Michigan named Romney.

2. The second thing that struck me was that Romney was right about a number of things. Trump is an asshole and, if elected president, will likely piss a whole lot of people off.

The "Time for choosing" thing was really striking in that he even went back to it for his closing. I wasn't expecting that at all. The stuff about how bad Trump would be was totally unsurprising and merely a rehash of stuff everyone else has been saying all along (though he did get a little more personal than I expected). The combination of these two things, however, did get me thinking and what I came up with is that now, more than ever, we need to get these elitist, entitled, self-serving bastards out of DC and may the consequences of doing so be damned.

Romney's speech was little more than politispeak for "We know what's best for you". Well, while Trump may be the wrong person to elect president that isn't a choice we EVER intended the RNC to make for us. If they want one of "their guys" in the slot then it's THEIR responsibility to put someone up who the voters can get behind. How DARE he stand there and blame the voters for taking sides against "the establishment" when the establishment has failed the voters time and again?

The stench of hubris from the GOP is going to take a long time to wash off.

Vote Trump because the politicians tell you not to.

Come November the Republican leadership will be saying "Vote for the crook!" At least they know under Hillary they can keep their gravy-train machinery working with just a few squeaks.

If Romney had ANY credibility you might be correct. The problem for the anti-Trump crowd is that Romney is a loser and a hypocrite who represents the Republican establishment and everything that is wrong with the GOP today. I doubt highly that even 1 voter who listens to Romney would have supported Trump in any event. This was just typical Romney etch-a-sketching and trying desperately to remain relevant.

The "Time for choosing" thing was really striking in that he even went back to it for his closing.

Yeah, the country did choose, too, and it wasn't Barry Goldwater.

Yea. Trump just vowed this morning to run third party independent.

Romney's speech was little more than politispeak for "We know what's best for you".
the stench of hubris from the GOP is going to take a long time to wash off.

Very well said. Romney is essentially being used as a solo "super super delegate" to subvert the possible popular choice. If you are a Republican, contact the Party anyway you can and let them know about it.

I just listened to the speech and was struck by two things in particular:

1. The first thing that struck me was that he based his speech on Reagan's "A Time for Choosing". That was really, really ironic since back in '64 the GOP was in full revolt against another "rebel" candidate and among the leaders of that revolt was a governor from Michigan named Romney.

2. The second thing that struck me was that Romney was right about a number of things. Trump is an asshole and, if elected president, will likely piss a whole lot of people off.

The "Time for choosing" thing was really striking in that he even went back to it for his closing. I wasn't expecting that at all. The stuff about how bad Trump would be was totally unsurprising and merely a rehash of stuff everyone else has been saying all along (though he did get a little more personal than I expected). The combination of these two things, however, did get me thinking and what I came up with is that now, more than ever, we need to get these elitist, entitled, self-serving bastards out of DC and may the consequences of doing so be damned.

Romney's speech was little more than politispeak for "We know what's best for you". Well, while Trump may be the wrong person to elect president that isn't a choice we EVER intended the RNC to make for us. If they want one of "their guys" in the slot then it's THEIR responsibility to put someone up who the voters can get behind. How DARE he stand there and blame the voters for taking sides against "the establishment" when the establishment has failed the voters time and again?

The stench of hubris from the GOP is going to take a long time to wash off.

I would agree with that. The CBC led the 8 AM news with it, which is so rare I actually called them to see if they could tell me the last time the national radio news was led by comments by a US politician.

It's all about Trump being the "outsider" and you are right, at this point the electorate is so angry at the elite they would elect anybody who would say the same thing. In an earlier show, supporters were heard to say they know he won't live up to his promises, but are voting for him anyway.

I believe this will become seen as a watershed in US history, right up there with Watergate without the break in.

"we need to get these elitist, entitled, self-serving bastards out of DC and may the consequences of doing so be damned." I think captures the sentiments exactly. 'We will destroy the entire political system if we have to..."|

The only problem with it is the equivalent to lobbing a grenade into a foxhole.....you may just be destroying the country in the process. The likes of Donald Trump with his hands on the kind of the kind of unilateral power Obama has wielded is downright frightening

Back
Top Bottom