• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Romance author who tried to trademark a common word goes missing

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

This was unexpected.

Hopkins has been talked about in writer's circles a few years before because she somehow managed to trademark a word: "cocky," and then proceeded to file infringement suits against any writer who had that word in the titles of their books. She succeeded in convincing Amazon to take down a number of books written by others due to having the single word in the title.

To put a long story short: the whole industry basically rose up against her, and she was forced to back down.

Romance is a big genre for indie authors, and I know of a few who makes 6-7 figures. This means its also very competitive, and there have been instances where authors have actually used black hat tactics (like trademarks) to stifle the competition.

Seeing this news sort of makes one wonder if she had any screws loose to begin with. I know a lot of writers do (including me lol).

This smacks of a conspiracy.

Maybe her books violated DeSantis's fascist book decree..

There wasn't any people of color in her books.. Was there?

This was unexpected.

Hopkins has been talked about in writer's circles a few years before because she somehow managed to trademark a word: "cocky," and then proceeded to file infringement suits against any writer who had that word in the titles of their books. She succeeded in convincing Amazon to take down a number of books written by others due to having the single word in the title.

To put a long story short: the whole industry basically rose up against her, and she was forced to back down.

Romance is a big genre for indie authors, and I know of a few who makes 6-7 figures. This means its also very competitive, and there have been instances where authors have actually used black hat tactics (like trademarks) to stifle the competition.

Seeing this news sort of makes one wonder if she had any screws loose to begin with. I know a lot of writers do (including me lol).
Given that she ran from the police for whatever reason, looks like she has some demons she’s dealing with. I’ve never heard of this lady but hopefully she’s ultimately ok and just disappeared to get her shit together.

Reactions: PoS
Back
Top Bottom