• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Role Players

Do you play pen and paper roleplaying games?

• Total voters

molten_dragon

Anti-Hypocrite
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The empire vs. federation debate brought up D&D, and I realized that we have several players on the forum. I'm just curious how many of you are.

So, do you play pen and paper roleplaying games (i.e. D&D, shadowrun, call of cthulu, etc.)?

I started back when the only things you could find were D&D and Traveller. Used to play rather a lot; I usually ran the games, because I enjoyed building the game-world and writing the storylines for adventures.

Regrettably, don't really have time for it anymore, not for many years. The new online stuff like WoW is pretty cool, but it just doesn't compare to the flexibility and "live feel" of sitting down to a game with a table full of real people.

It has been about 20 years since the last group I have played with for pen and paper role playing - back when I had a decent cadre of friends who were both into these games and nerdy enough (I still have some nerdy friends, just not role playing nerdy).

About 2 weeks ago for adult role playing :twisted:

Last edited:
I played the final fantasy(Nes,SNES,PS1PS2),dragon warrior(NES,SNES,PS1) and grand theft auto(PS2 and PC) games, does that count?

I played the final fantasy(Nes,SNES,PS1PS2),dragon warrior(NES,SNES,PS1) and grand theft auto(PS2 and PC) games, does that count?

No. :p 890

I have never played a "pen & paper" RPG, but I have played multiple computer and console-based RPG's.

We used to play all the time. I started out with as I said in the other thread "Chainmail" which evolved into the original Dungeons and Dragons. So I played allot from 73 to the early 90's. By the time 3rd edition came around I did not play any more. I have tried 4th edition which is OK, it just does not have the same flavor as 2nd edition. I have played allot of role playing games from Boot Hill, In The Labyrinth (predecessor to GURP's,) Traveler, Robotech and the list goes on and on. Way to many to mention. Not even going into historical miniatures and the popular Avalon Hill book case games and the end all be all for WWII, Squad Leader.

Still play historical miniatures to this day. Presently working on my French Foreign Legion and Arab forces. Also played Warhammer 40k until 5th edition. Still playing the miniatures War of the Ring game. Have a large Isenguard Army with Suaron's forces as back up.

So much wonderful nerd gaming, so little time.

PS: One of the best and the most fun I have ever had was playing a pen & paper role playing game called "Paranoia." It was just to much fun....

The game's main setting is an immense and futuristic city called Alpha Complex, which is controlled by The Computer, a civil service AI construct. The Computer serves as the game's principal antagonist, and fears a number of threats to its 'perfect' society, such as The Outdoors, mutants, and secret societies (especially Communists). To deal with these threats, The Computer employs Troubleshooters, whose job is to go out, find trouble and shoot it. Player characters are usually troubleshooters, although later game supplements have allowed the players to take on other roles.

Frequently the player characters receive missions that are incomprehensible, self-contradictory or potentially fatal, equipment that is dangerous, faulty or "experimental" (i.e.: almost certainly dangerous AND faulty), and side-missions which conflict with any other instructions the players may have received. Additionally, each player character is generally an unregistered mutant and/or a secret society member, and has a hidden agenda separate from the group's goals, often involving stealing from or killing teammates. Missions can therefore turn into a comedy of errors as everyone on the team seeks to double-cross everyone else while keeping their own secrets. The game's manual encourages suspicion between players, offering several tips on how to make the gameplay as paranoid as possible.

Every player's character is assigned six clones, known as a "six-pack," which are used to replace the preceding clone upon his or her death. As a result, Paranoia allows characters to be routinely killed yet the player can continue instead of leaving the game. This easy spending of clones tends to lead to frequent firefights, gruesome slapstick, and the horrible yet humorous demise of most if not all of the player character's clone family.

The Paranoia rulebook is unusual in a number of ways; demonstrating any knowledge of the rules is specifically forbidden for players (and punishable by the summary execution of their character) and most of the rulebook is written in an easy, conversational tone that often makes fun of the players and their characters, while occasionally taking digs at other notable role-playing games.

Last edited:
The empire vs. federation debate brought up D&D, and I realized that we have several players on the forum. I'm just curious how many of you are.

So, do you play pen and paper roleplaying games (i.e. D&D, shadowrun, call of cthulu, etc.)?

Let me see...

My first experience with roleplaying games was when I was like 14-years-old. I saw a book at a friend's house for roleplaying game based on Michael Moorecock's "Stormbringer," and a 2nd edition "Werewolf the Apocalypse." He let me take those home and I read up on them, fascinated. (I was quite the bookworm as a kid.)

I came from a redneck area, though, so there really wasn't a place to do any actual roleplaying in my town. But that didn't stop me from getting all books for the Old "World of Darkness" series. Even though I didn't play, I was still fascinated with the world, and it was one of the things that made me want to try to write for a living.

I didn't actually roleplay until I got to college and was able to meet a greater variety of people. When I left college, internet access made up for it.

Now, I have been involved in D&D 3.5 & 4e, oWoD (including LARP), nWoD, Exalted, and I've dabbled a bit in Mutants and Masterminds, Traveller, Shadowrun 4e, and Tri-Stat.

Oh jeez. Almost forgot. How could I forget Rifts too?

Last edited:
Started playing young back at the early days of 2nd edition. Have played 3e and 3.5. Played Werewolf, Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Exalted and, ugg, BESM once. Haven't played much since shortly after college though when I moved up to northern Virginia. I was hoping the WOTC "Game Table" for 4th edition would materialize but it became a bit of a pipe dream.

I do believe we actually have one individual on the board that either had been trying, or perhaps completed, to actually publish his own game.

I was hoping the WOTC "Game Table" for 4th edition would materialize but it became a bit of a pipe dream.

There's a free-to-use virtual tabletop called MapTools that you can download and use. Might want to check that out.

Used to play "sandbox" Star Wars RPG and a homemade D&D game, it's was a lot better than standard D&D, in my opinion.
Don't like being a game master, much rather be a player.

I'd love to get back into a sandbox Star Wars game but those type of folks don't generally reside around here.

Last edited:
I started back when the only things you could find were D&D and Traveller. Used to play rather a lot; I usually ran the games, because I enjoyed building the game-world and writing the storylines for adventures.

I remember Traveler. Much fun!

I helped playtest Villains and Vigilantes for Jeff Dee and his wife.

Played a bunch of others, but started slowing down after high school, and finally stopped altogether in the Navy. Last thing I played was Star Fleet Battles, which is not a role player but was played by the same crowd mostly.

We used to play all the time. I started out with as I said in the other thread "Chainmail" which evolved into the original Dungeons and Dragons. So I played allot from 73 to the early 90's. By the time 3rd edition came around I did not play any more. I have tried 4th edition which is OK, it just does not have the same flavor as 2nd edition. I have played allot of role playing games from Boot Hill, In The Labyrinth (predecessor to GURP's,) Traveler, Robotech and the list goes on and on. Way to many to mention. Not even going into historical miniatures and the popular Avalon Hill book case games and the end all be all for WWII, Squad Leader.

Still play historical miniatures to this day. Presently working on my French Foreign Legion and Arab forces. Also played Warhammer 40k until 5th edition. Still playing the miniatures War of the Ring game. Have a large Isenguard Army with Suaron's forces as back up.

So much wonderful nerd gaming, so little time.

PS: One of the best and the most fun I have ever had was playing a pen & paper role playing game called "Paranoia." It was just to much fun....

The game's main setting is an immense and futuristic city called Alpha Complex, which is controlled by The Computer, a civil service AI construct. The Computer serves as the game's principal antagonist, and fears a number of threats to its 'perfect' society, such as The Outdoors, mutants, and secret societies (especially Communists). To deal with these threats, The Computer employs Troubleshooters, whose job is to go out, find trouble and shoot it. Player characters are usually troubleshooters, although later game supplements have allowed the players to take on other roles.

Frequently the player characters receive missions that are incomprehensible, self-contradictory or potentially fatal, equipment that is dangerous, faulty or "experimental" (i.e.: almost certainly dangerous AND faulty), and side-missions which conflict with any other instructions the players may have received. Additionally, each player character is generally an unregistered mutant and/or a secret society member, and has a hidden agenda separate from the group's goals, often involving stealing from or killing teammates. Missions can therefore turn into a comedy of errors as everyone on the team seeks to double-cross everyone else while keeping their own secrets. The game's manual encourages suspicion between players, offering several tips on how to make the gameplay as paranoid as possible.

Every player's character is assigned six clones, known as a "six-pack," which are used to replace the preceding clone upon his or her death. As a result, Paranoia allows characters to be routinely killed yet the player can continue instead of leaving the game. This easy spending of clones tends to lead to frequent firefights, gruesome slapstick, and the horrible yet humorous demise of most if not all of the player character's clone family.

The Paranoia rulebook is unusual in a number of ways; demonstrating any knowledge of the rules is specifically forbidden for players (and punishable by the summary execution of their character) and most of the rulebook is written in an easy, conversational tone that often makes fun of the players and their characters, while occasionally taking digs at other notable role-playing games.

That sounds like an absolute riot, bet a lot of those games were interrupted for gales of uncontrollable hilarity. :mrgreen:

I thought this would be about something else.....

I played D&D as a teenager.. not any more.

Robotech, Rifts, AD&D, Shadowrun, Warewolf.....yeah, I've played lots of them...good times.

The instruction booklets that came with those games were made out of paper.

There was an instruction book? And here I was just reading game forums all this time....

I do believe we actually have one individual on the board that either had been trying, or perhaps completed, to actually publish his own game.

Korimyr. Unless there's more than one.

Looks like there's more than one.

AfterWorlds has been held up by just about everything that could have gone wrong in RPG development-- lack of funding, missed deadlines, lost our editor, license troubles-- but we're still optimistic about a First or Second Quarter 2011 release. (Of course, our plan was GenCon 2008.) It's old-school post-apocalyptic gaming at its finest, with weird mutations and psychic powers in the lawless ruins of modern civilization.

As far as actual playing goes, we're going to start playtesting for AfterWorlds as soon as we're more or less in agreement over how the system should work, and I'm currently running a HARP game set in a dark re-imagining of the Super Mario Bros universe.

RIFTS

*twitch, twitch*

I had a former guy I used to game with....often time with great regret later...who was into Rifts for a short time and made me subsequently want to scream whenever I heard it mentioned.

rifts.jpg

I prefer to play the Hero System since it's a toolkit. I can't stand anything related to d20.

Back
Top Bottom