• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Role Players

Do you play pen and paper roleplaying games?

• Total voters
I prefer to play the Hero System since it's a toolkit. I can't stand anything related to d20.

Its actually kind of funny...before D20 was D20 my two most commonly played games was 2nd ed D&D which still used the d20 a lot and Cyberpunk which had this weird D10 system. For a while there we were playing with these home brew rules that I meshed together for a generic somewhat free form game of modified D&D that did D20 + half your stat + a bonus for being proficient in a skill or any attack pluses when it came to attacking going up against a set number that you had to beat out. It was a really rough system but I enjoyed it...so when I saw 3e and the D20 system it instantly felt wonderful in my eyes because it was like someone went in my head and took the giant boulder rolling around in it and sculpted it into something wonderful.

I definitely get its not everyones cup of T, but I've always enjoyed it and the mix of a stable ruleset mixed with a fair amount of flexibility.

Haven't played pen and paper AD&D since my college days, but I miss it. I also played Traveller, Star Frontiers and Call of Cthulu. Still have my dice though. This should bring back some memories, at least for you ol' timers :)
monster-manual.jpg

Last edited:
Its actually kind of funny...before D20 was D20 my two most commonly played games was 2nd ed D&D which still used the d20 a lot and Cyberpunk which had this weird D10 system. For a while there we were playing with these home brew rules that I meshed together for a generic somewhat free form game of modified D&D that did D20 + half your stat + a bonus for being proficient in a skill or any attack pluses when it came to attacking going up against a set number that you had to beat out. It was a really rough system but I enjoyed it...so when I saw 3e and the D20 system it instantly felt wonderful in my eyes because it was like someone went in my head and took the giant boulder rolling around in it and sculpted it into something wonderful.

I definitely get its not everyones cup of T, but I've always enjoyed it and the mix of a stable ruleset mixed with a fair amount of flexibility.

I played pretty much every system published up until 1995, so I have a wide variety of systems under my belt. Hero System just became my go to system because it just makes sense.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to show everyone the logo and the cover preview of my book. The cover is drawn by Brett Barkley, so please leave any feedback you would like.

inceptum%20terminus%20logo%20copy%202.jpg

Frontcover_Pencils02.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, this is actually pretty awesome. Is this your art?

Thank ya for the compliment. Naw, I'm a writer, but the artist is pretty well known in the comic book world. The artist is Brett Barkley and he does awesome work.

I started playing in 1974 with Chainmail, the precursor to D&D and then played actively until the mid-80s. However, it got harder and harder to find anyone who actually wanted to play who wasn't a screwed up idiot. The last group we had, one member got so into Vampire: The Masquerade that he started dressing all in black and refusing to leave the house during daylight hours. Since he was the ride everyone else had to the game, we just stopped playing. Every attempt since then has failed because the people were just too messed up. I'd like to again one day, occasionally, my wife and daughters and I will sit down and play Paranoia or something, but it's hard to find anyone well-adjusted who likes to play.

I started playing in 1974 with Chainmail, the precursor to D&D and then played actively until the mid-80s. However, it got harder and harder to find anyone who actually wanted to play who wasn't a screwed up idiot. The last group we had, one member got so into Vampire: The Masquerade that he started dressing all in black and refusing to leave the house during daylight hours. Since he was the ride everyone else had to the game, we just stopped playing. Every attempt since then has failed because the people were just too messed up. I'd like to again one day, occasionally, my wife and daughters and I will sit down and play Paranoia or something, but it's hard to find anyone well-adjusted who likes to play.

That's my problem, as well.

The guys I used to play with, are perpetually single and get very jealous, if I couldn't drop everything to go hang out with them.
I had to cut ties because of it.

Played pen and paper Star Trek role playing games during the '80's and '90's.

Yes. But probably not in the way you are asking:2razz:

Yeah, it can be tough to find a good group. I've played with 4 or 5 different groups here over the last 3.5 years. Fortunately, they were mostly normal people, the groups just didn't work out for one reason or another.

I'm currently playing with two different groups, one which is mostly stereotypical nerdy college kids (my wife and I are the oldest people in the group). The other is made up of normal, well-adjusted, successful people. We even get along well and hang out outside of the game.

That's my problem, as well.

The guys I used to play with, are perpetually single and get very jealous, if I couldn't drop everything to go hang out with them.
I had to cut ties because of it.

Same here. I had a group through most of the 80s and while I'm still good friends with most of them, I am the only one out of the group who ever got married, ever had kids, has ever held a good job, etc. It's kind of sad, really.

Same here. I had a group through most of the 80s and while I'm still good friends with most of them, I am the only one out of the group who ever got married, ever had kids, has ever held a good job, etc. It's kind of sad, really.

Let's see if I can remember right. There were five guys I used to play RPGs with.

One went to the Citadel and became a career military officer.
One became an engineer.
Another is a firefighter, a supervisor and trainer actually.
One got killed in a robbery at his place of business, shortly after being engaged. Good guy, miss him.
The other is a security guard who never married and can barely carry on a conversation with someone who doesn't speak geek. (this was the one who was really really into it, and still is.)

Last edited:
That sounds like an absolute riot, bet a lot of those games were interrupted for gales of uncontrollable hilarity. :mrgreen:

You know it. it is a really fun game.

Played pen and paper Star Trek role playing games during the '80's and '90's.

I always knew there was something wrong with you Cap'n,just couldn't put my finger on it until now, this confirms it - you're a Trekkie, nuff said, :lol:

I'm not a role player, but I AM chaotic good by nature.

These guys are brothers, one has never had a girlfriend (from what I know) in his life.
He's in his 30's and I think he's still a virgin.

The other is somewhat unstable, needs medication and they both have attachment problems.
Fun guys but they act like a second spouse.

Don't like being a game master, much rather be a player.

I prefer to be a player too, but I ran a game for a few years and enjoyed it very much.

All I ever had to do to make a gaggle of players squirm nervously in their seats was walk into a room and shut the door. :cool:

I prefer to play the Hero System since it's a toolkit. I can't stand anything related to d20.

I used to be a d20 guy until we scored the license to publish AfterWorlds as a supplement for HARP Sci-Fi. That caused me to get very heavily into HARP and eventually Rolemaster. Seeing the level of detail and the sheer elegance of those games makes me wish I'd gotten into them earlier-- back when I had a few thousand dollars' worth of AD&D 2e.

I used to be a d20 guy until we scored the license to publish AfterWorlds as a supplement for HARP Sci-Fi. That caused me to get very heavily into HARP and eventually Rolemaster. Seeing the level of detail and the sheer elegance of those games makes me wish I'd gotten into them earlier-- back when I had a few thousand dollars' worth of AD&D 2e.

I ran a Rolemaster campaign for a while back in the late 80's, or maybe it was early 90's. It is an intresting system. I liked the critical hits tables in particular, some of them were hilarious.

I know what you mean. I wish I had all the money I sunk into AD&D and other systems to put into Hero. I want to wish you luck with your book. It's a long, hard road to get a book published. :)

I ran a Rolemaster campaign for a while back in the late 80's, or maybe it was early 90's. It is an intresting system. I liked the critical hits tables in particular, some of them were hilarious.

When you absolutely, positively must run the risk of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle...

I know what you mean. I wish I had all the money I sunk into AD&D and other systems to put into Hero. I want to wish you luck with your book. It's a long, hard road to get a book published. :)

Well, luckily, I have just about everything published for Rolemaster now. The only thing I'm missing are the original 2e Rolemaster Companions. It's just the missed opportunities to play with such a robust system when it was easier to get players to learn new systems...

When I was putting together a HARP game a couple of years ago, I mentioned that it was based on Rolemaster and one of my players said "Cecil, don't take this the wrong way, but you're the only person I know that I can picture playing Rolemaster." Damned near broke my heart.

Back
Top Bottom