• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

the_recruit

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

So it follows the rebel spy who uncovers the Death Star's weakness in the original film. I had heard disney intended to do some side-stories with the franchise but had no idea this was already in the works.

Dammnit, I want a Obi-Wan stand alone film!

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I heard about this during their pre production phase so I was wondering when they would show the preview and they have. Looks mildly interesting, but it seems they already covered this- it would have been better if they had stuck with an original story instead. My concern is that it would be predictable.

And the main character seems to be another Rey? Couldn't they have chosen another archetype at least? :confused:

So it follows the rebel spy who uncovers the Death Star's weakness in the original film. I had heard disney intended to do some side-stories with the franchise but had no idea this was already in the works.

Really??? I thought that everyone knew that Disney's plan was to release a "Star Wars" movie every other year and in the intervening years, release a "side story" movie. But then, I work in IT, so I'm surrounded by geeks every day so my perspective might be a little skewed. :kitty::aliens1::aliens3:

Interesting. My concern is all these efforts over-doing things a bit. Creating all these Star Wars franchise side story movies (perhaps side story series of movies) is bound to do to the original Star Wars story as what other movies have done ad nauseam to various comic book character series.

I heard about this during their pre production phase so I was wondering when they would show the preview and they have. Looks mildly interesting, but it seems they already covered this- it would have been better if they had stuck with an original story instead. My concern is that it would be predictable.

And the main character seems to be another Rey? Couldn't they have chosen another archetype at least? :confused:

That's the key to what made the 4-6 so enjoyable, they used classic story-telling archetypes. Characters like the "Lost Prince", the "Fallen King", the "Teacher", the "Rogue", the "Faithful Servant" are what made 4-6 so popular. They touched on the ancient story-telling around the campfire part of us. 1-3 missed that entirely, but it looks like they are going the right direction with 7. Hopefully, they keep it up with Rogue One.

Oh. My. ****.

Jeremy-Renner.gif

That's the key to what made the 4-6 so enjoyable, they used classic story-telling archetypes. Characters like the "Lost Prince", the "Fallen King", the "Teacher", the "Rogue", the "Faithful Servant" are what made 4-6 so popular. They touched on the ancient story-telling around the campfire part of us. 1-3 missed that entirely, but it looks like they are going the right direction with 7. Hopefully, they keep it up with Rogue One.

I understand that, but my point was she seems almost exactly like another Rey- who happens to be starring in the new trilogy. Couldn't they have put in a different type of main character instead of a second Rey in this one?

I understand that, but my point was she seems almost exactly like another Rey- who happens to be starring in the new trilogy. Couldn't they have put in a different type of main character instead of a second Rey in this one?
Which is why I wanted them to do a Obi-Wan standalone film.

Which is why I wanted them to do a Obi-Wan standalone film.

Its gonna be boring since all he will do in that movie will be sweeping the sand out of his hut until Luke grows up...

Damn you!!! I just saw the trailer and rushed here to show it and you beat me...

The plot in Star Wars films has never been the selling point to me, it is the basic storytelling and how the movies look, and this looks great. If the story is told reasonably well, it should be alot of fun.

Its gonna be boring since all he will do in that movie will be sweeping the sand out of his hut until Luke grows up...
Well since Obi-Wan's back story is basically done away with from the Canon universe, I believe they could make a new story involving him, it wouldn't be that hard IMO.

Maybe this one is a lesbian, or we'll find out that she's Hispanic?

There's got to be some kind of social justice twist!

I don't think there are any "Hispanics" in the Star Wars Universe.

I personally don't mind the diversity in Star Wars, as long as J.J Abrams makes a good movie to watch.

Oh, Disney will run this IP into the ground. But maybe the sequel movies will be good. I don't expect much out of their expanded universe nonsense.

Or maybe she's a force sensitive scavenger who grew up in the wastes of Jakku and knows how to pilot the Millennium Falcon. :2razz:

I heard about this during their pre production phase so I was wondering when they would show the preview and they have. Looks mildly interesting, but it seems they already covered this-

They have? When?

it would have been better if they had stuck with an original story instead. My concern is that it would be predictable.

It is the original story. This happens just before A New Hope... hell this is set to explain how they got the plans in the first place in a New Hope.

Another Rey? You mean a female? Yea how dare there be strong female characters! :roll:

Disney should make movies on the Bounty Hunter wars books

They have? When?

It is the original story. This happens just before A New Hope... hell this is set to explain how they got the plans in the first place in a New Hope.
Anyone who has watched ANH knows how it turned out you know...

Another Rey? You mean a female? Yea how dare there be strong female characters!
Way to miss my point completely. :roll:

Anyone who has watched ANH knows how it turned out you know...

Oh how did it turn out? Yes Leah puts the plans in R2-D2... but how did she get them? And if you are thinking that it is the "many Bothams lost their lives" comment, that is from Return of the Jedi..

Way to miss my point completely. :roll:

What is your point then?

Another Rey? What because she is a female? Other than that I see no similarities in characters.

Oh how did it turn out? Yes Leah puts the plans in R2-D2... but how did she get them? And if you are thinking that it is the "many Bothams lost their lives" comment, that is from Return of the Jedi..
The fact is Leia did get the plans so we know what happened. I would prefer they come out with a movie in which we dont know what the ending is. This is just like those endless prequels they make for other movie franchises.

What is your point then?
Read what I wrote before. I got no problems with female protagonists, but the main character in this one seems to be another scoundrel/thief/scavenger archetype who lives on the fringes of society. Thats pretty much a carbon copy of Rey.

Back
Top Bottom