• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The fact is Leia did get the plans so we know what happened. I would prefer they come out with a movie in which we dont know what the ending is. This is just like those endless prequels they make for other movie franchises.

I see, so you hated Titantic too? :) Valid point, but then there aint much in the Star Wars universe you can do.

Read what I wrote before. I got no problems with female protagonists, but the main character in this one seems to be another scoundrel/thief/scavenger archetype who lives on the fringes of society. Thats pretty much a carbon copy of Rey.

Have you seen the Star Wars movies? Most people in it are like that!

I see, so you hated Titantic too? :) Valid point, but then there aint much in the Star Wars universe you can do.
So youre a Titanic fan then, well that explains a whole lot... :shock:
Have you seen the Star Wars movies? Most people in it are like that!
Why couldnt they have made her an ex-imperial officer, or a princess or something, why make her a carbon copy of the other one? Sure they make them all similar but they could have written up somebody slightly different than the last one at least... unless of course she's Rey's mom.

Shows what you know.

Juan Solo:

View attachment 67199934

obi-juan-kenobi.jpg

Obligatory.

What happened to the Bobba Fett or Han Solo movies? Why not lead with one of them instead?

So. Where do the Bothan spies...
latest

...fit into this?

Also, there is a side movie for each year the new trilogy comes out. Working titles when announced were:
Rogue One (comes out this Christmas I believe or there about)
Obi Wan
Han Solo and Boba Fett

Not to be confused with Bubba Fett:
bubba_fett___con_sketch_by_steevcomix-d50886l.jpg

Last edited:
I heard about this during their pre production phase so I was wondering when they would show the preview and they have. Looks mildly interesting, but it seems they already covered this- it would have been better if they had stuck with an original story instead. My concern is that it would be predictable.

And the main character seems to be another Rey? Couldn't they have chosen another archetype at least? :confused:

It seems that she's "Rey" as an uber-feisty Han Solo reboot this time, instead of the "Luke reimagined as a Vulcan Mary Sue" we got in Episode VII. Just wait until the "token gay and lesbian" characters start rolling out! :roll:

I think Disney's made it rather clear, at this point, that the "tone" they're setting with these films is a lot more interested in "Pop Left" pandering to politicized Millennial sensibilities than it is anything else. They're barely even trying to hide it.

"I'm a rebel. I rebel! (Against the Patriarchy!)" :doh

Last edited:
So youre a Titanic fan then, well that explains a whole lot... :shock:

Why couldnt they have made her an ex-imperial officer, or a princess or something, why make her a carbon copy of the other one? Sure they make them all similar but they could have written up somebody slightly different than the last one at least... unless of course she's Rey's mom.

Rey was a lonley scavenger waiting for her parents to come back for her, she is thrust into danger through circumstance rather than choice.
This girl is completley different in that regards and looks to be a far more edgy/fearless character.

It seems that she's "Rey" as an uber-feisty Han Solo reboot this time, instead of the "Luke reimagined as a Vulcan Mary Sue" we got in Episode VII. Just wait until the "token gay and lesbian" characters start rolling out! :roll:

I think Disney's made it rather clear, at this point, that the "tone" they're setting with these films is a lot more interested in "Pop Left" pandering to politicized Millennial sensibilities than it is anything else. They're barely even trying to hide it.

Strong female's are present throughout Star Wars, Mon Mothma, Leia and Padmé Amidala are all strong female's and have a big part to play in the fourtunes of the galaxy.

This isn't new...

What happened to the Bobba Fett or Han Solo movies? Why not lead with one of them instead?

I still don't see what Bobba Fett has done to warrant a film with him as the centre piece.

You must be new to the franchise.

There have been strong women all throughout this franchise (Ahsoka Tano, Shaak Ti, Adi Gallia, Asajj Ventress, Mara Jade, Leia Organa, Padme, etc.), this isn't a new concept.

So what if J.J Abrams wants to add more diversity in his Star Wars films? If he wants to then by all means he can do it.

Strong female's are present throughout Star Wars, Mon Mothma, Leia and Padmé Amidala are all strong female's and have a big part to play in the fourtunes of the galaxy.

This isn't new...

You must be new to the franchise.

There have been strong women all throughout this franchise (Ahsoka Tano, Shaak Ti, Adi Gallia, Asajj Ventress, Mara Jade, Leia Organa, Padme, etc.), this isn't a new concept.

So what if J.J Abrams wants to add more diversity in his Star Wars films? If he wants to then by all means he can do it.

We've had two movies so far, and in both of them, they've made a point of forcing the male characters play second fiddle to extraordinarily unsubtle "in your face" female "action hero" characters, who not only basically seem to be gender swapped versions of the previous trilogy's leads, but tend to make them look like incompetent pansies by way of comparison.

If you think that's a coincidence, I've got some swamp land to sell you in Florida. It's quite deliberate, and quite political in motivation.

The likes of J.J. Abrams and his writing team have basically said as much. Mark my words, homosexual characters will be next.

We've had two movies so far, and in both of them, they've made a point of forcing the male characters play second fiddle to extraordinarily unsubtle "in your face" female "action hero" characters, who not only basically seem to be gender swapped versions of the previous trilogy's leads, but tend to make them look like incompetent pansies by way of comparison.

If you think that's a coincidence, I've got some swamp land to sell you in Florida. It's quite deliberate, and quite political in motivation.

The likes of J.J. Abrams and his writing team have basically said as much.

I dont see how Ren makes Luke look like a incompetent pansie.

- Luke left his home planet after the brutual death of his family.
- Boarded and infiltrated the Death Star.
- Engaged in heavy combat with stormtroopers
- Flew an x-wing with no real training
- Blew up the Death star using the force

I understand that, but my point was she seems almost exactly like another Rey- who happens to be starring in the new trilogy. Couldn't they have put in a different type of main character instead of a second Rey in this one?

Why is she another Rey? Just because she's a woman? So they have to be alike?

I dont see how Ren makes Luke look like a incompetent pansie.

- Luke left his home planet after the brutual death of his family.
- Boarded and infiltrated the Death Star.
- Engaged in heavy combat with stormtroopers
- Flew an x-wing with no real training
- Blew up the Death star using the force

- Rey learned the force basically completely on her own, with no training.

(Luke had to seek out Yoda, and had force ghost Obiwan telling him what to do.)

- Rey can fly and fix the Millenium Falcon at least as well, if not better, than Han Solo.

(Luke just kind of held his own in the Death Star battle, by way of comparison, and was saved by Solo at the last second.)

- Rey almost effortlessly hands the main bad guy of the new Trilogy his own ass in a light saber fight... again, with no training.

(Luke got his ass kicked by Vader in their first fight.)

Rey is an exaggerated, more or less invincible, parody of Luke from the first trilogy.

Last edited:

The likes of J.J. Abrams and his writing team have basically said as much. Mark my words, homosexual characters will be next.

Rey is the main character. I'd EXPECT her to get the spotlight the majority of the time. And regardless, Finn, Han, Poe, and Ben all had a significant role within the story.

I agree that Rey is mainly just a gender swap of Luke, but I don't give a ****. She's doing a much better job as a interesting character than how Luke "McBland" Skywalker was in Episode IV.

And oh no, the entire galaxy is going to be ripped apart if they add a few gay characters!

Last edited:

This isn't new...

Don't you know? SJW's are ruining everything!!!11!! Oh noeesss. #gamergate

Because they haven't been cast yet and there's no script for either?

- Rey learned the force basically completely on her own, with no training.

(Luke had to seek out Yoda)

- Rey can fix fly and fix the Millenium Falcon at least as well, if not better than Han Solo.

(Luke just kind of held his own, by way comparison, and was saved by Solo at the last second.)

- Rey almost effortlessly hands the main bad guy of the new Trilogy his own ass in a light saber fight... again, with no training.

(Luke got his ass kicked by Vader in their first fight)

- What is this nonsense about Rey being an expert pilot for the Millennium Falcon? She obviously was not the most expert pilot, seeing as it took her quite awhile to evade those TIE Fighters. And she's a scavenger who knows a lot about machinery. Are you surprised that she knows how to fix things?

- Rey did not 'effortlessly' beat Kylo Ren in their fight. It took her a good while to defeat him. And Kylo Ren and Darth Vader are NOWHERE near the same skill level. Ren is a bitch compared to Darth, comparing them is stupid.

Honestly this trailer looks way more promising than Episode 7.

and... Donnie. ****ing. Yen.

It does, and I loved Episode 7. I'm really excited with what they do with this unknown story set around this very familiar framework. We know a bit of the end already from A New Hope, and that just excites more than anything. It gives them the ability to twist our expectations, and to really delve into these characters. Which from first glance they all look pretty awesome.

Rey is the main character. I'd EXPECT her to get the spotlight the majority of the time. And regardless, Finn, Han, Poe, and Ben all had a significant role within the story.

I agree that Rey is mainly just a gender swap of Luke, but I don't give a ****. She's doing a much better job as a interesting character than how Luke"McBland" Skywalker was in Episode IV.

And oh no, the entire galaxy is going to be ripped apart if they add a few gay characters!

Luke actually had a character arc. He starts off as incompetent rube, learns enough to get cocky and subsequently gets smacked down for it, hard, and then finially becomes a mature, competent, and humble hero, worthy of the title "Jedi" in the last film of the trilogy.

Rey is a Mary Sue. She's good at everything, has to expend basically zero effort or energy to do it, and can already wipe the floor with all the bad guys from the first movie onwards.

She's invincible, basically. She's a poorly written character, essentially just coasting on "gurl power."

Back
Top Bottom