• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roger Waters to Speak for Russia at UN Security Council on Ukraine, Moscow Claims

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

iu

British musician Roger Waters of the rock group Pink Floyd will speak on behalf of Russia at the upcoming UN Security Council meeting on Ukraine, Russian diplomats said Wednesday. Dmitry Polyansky, Russia’s first deputy UN representative, said Waters’ attendance has been confirmed for the Russian-requested Security Council session. Waters himself has neither confirmed nor denied his attendance at the UN headquarters in New York. Waters, 79, has blamed the United States and NATO for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, saying in an open letter to the Ukrainian president's wife last fall: “Throwing fuel, in the form of armaments, into a fire fight, has never worked to shorten a war.” Wednesday’s UN Security Council session, Polyansky said, will address crisis settlement prospects in Ukraine “in the context of increasing Western arms deliveries to this country.” Some reports said Waters will speak via video link from Switzerland.

Waters’ pro-Russia stance has led to a public rift with Polly Samson, Pink Floyd’s former lyricist and the partner of vocalist David Gilmour, who slammed him as a “Putin apologist.” After Russia invaded Ukraine last February, Pink Floyd removed its non-Waters-affiliated music from Russian streaming services and released a single in support of Kyiv. Reuters quoted an unnamed UN Security Council diplomat as mocking Waters’ invitation by Russia, saying: “Russian diplomacy used to be serious. What next? Mr. Bean?”

Waters, like the American actor Steven Seagal, has long been an apologist for the Putin regime.

What's Waters' position? The article provided one comment, and that comment seems legitimate.

“Throwing fuel, in the form of armaments, into a fire fight, has never worked to shorten a war.”

Just quit fighting and die already and we can end this war!

FFS...Roger has always been more than a tad left of center...but this is just stupid.

“Throwing fuel, in the form of armaments, into a fire fight, has never worked to shorten a war.”

FFS...Roger has always been more than a tad left of center...but this is just stupid.
The left supports Ukraine. Trump and Waters are pro-Russia.

Jesus what is wrong with that guy? His Another Brick in the Wall is an all-time great, but he needs to shut up and just play.

The absolute hilarity in the rightwing "shut up and play" schtick is Ronald ****ing Reagan.

The left supports Ukraine. Trump and Waters are pro-Russia.
Thats just a stupid, stupid position and very indicative of how mindless your positions are.

iu

Waters, like the American actor Steven Seagal, has long been an apologist for the Putin regime.

Hmmmmm. Interesting development, wasnt aware of that.
Waters is an interesting guy. I'd be interested to hear how he thinks the conflict should end since he doesnt want armaments thrown on the fire.

I can see the Ukraines need for weapons to fight, I just dont think it should be my responsibility to pay for them. Let those in the region pay for them, those in the EU. And if it isnt important enough to the EU to where they want to pay for Ukraines defense, it sure as hell isnt important enough to me.

Thats just a stupid, stupid position and very indicative of how mindless your positions are.
Who was saying they don't see ad hominem attacks on this site?

Hmmmmm. Interesting development, wasnt aware of that.
Waters is an interesting guy. I'd be interested to hear how he thinks the conflict should end since he doesnt want armaments thrown on the fire.

I can see the Ukraines need for weapons to fight, I just dont think it should be my responsibility to pay for them. Let those in the region pay for them, those in the EU. And if it isnt important enough to the EU to where they want to pay for Ukraines defense, it sure as hell isnt important enough to me.
The EU can’t pay for them and that’s why they need us to do it.

Are you pretending that the left supports Russia over Ukraine?
Talk about just stupid...

The fact leftists support a Nazi supported blood and soil ethno state for Ukraine is certainly weird, it is against their previous claimed values.

The fact leftists support a Nazi supported blood and soil ethno state for Ukraine is certainly weird, it is against their previous claimed values.
That's a fact?
How on earth can you claim to speak for the left?

The far right parties in Ukraine received something like less than 3 percent of the vote in the 2019 elections. When you are spreading Russian propaganda about Ukraine being full of neo Nazis you are spreading lies.

It depends on how you define the left.

I think mainstream folks support Ukraine.

Communists support Russia

It depends on how you define the left.
'The left' is a pretty broad term alright. I'm a liberal and so considered part of the left along with people I have absolutely nothing in common with other than we reject (most) conservatism.
Is that the definition of 'the left'- not conservative?

What's Waters' position? The article provided one comment, and that comment seems legitimate.

Imagine someone just like Noam Chomsky but who is also constantly fooled by Russian government propaganda and believes everything Putin says.

'The left' is a pretty broad term alright. I'm a liberal and so considered part of the left along with people I have absolutely nothing in common with other than we reject (most) conservatism.
Is that the definition of 'the left'- not conservative?

The problem is that conservatives lump in communists with liberals in order to insult liberals and win votes in elections.

So when we talk about the left in any conversation we have to precisely define who we are talking about.

Waters is much closer to being a communist than a liberal.

Who was saying they don't see ad hominem attacks on this site?
Is pointing out the stupidity of your comments an attack? Do you feel attacked? How do you feel when you posted what you did in complete ignorance to facts and reality?

Roger is a moron, Putin wants war with the west. Roger does not realize that we are at war to stop, two suns in the sunset.

iu

Did anybody say: "QUICK! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT A RANDOM, AGING MUSICIAN THINKS ABOUT THE WAR IN UKRAINE! CALL THE GUY FROM PINK FLOYD!"?

What a ****ing dipshit. His argument is that if we don't help Ukraine defend themselves, they'll be destroyed quicker and the war will be over.

Considering there's far more support on the left side of the aisle for Ukraine than in the right, your statement makes no sense. I mean, less than usual.

Is pointing out the stupidity of your comments an attack? Do you feel attacked? How do you feel when you posted what you did in complete ignorance to facts and reality?
And another one.

Back
Top Bottom