• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roger Stone dropping appeal of his conviction

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Roger Stone dropping appeal of his conviction

roger-stone-denies-using-racia-200719173623-roger-stone-racial-slur-radio-show-super-tease-500.jpg

8/18/20
Convicted felon Roger Stone, who avoided more than three years in prison when his longtime friend President Donald Trump commuted his sentence last month, has told a court he'd like to drop the challenge of his criminal conviction. Stone gave little reason for his concession in a sworn statement filed to the DC Circuit Court of Appeals on Monday night, but on his website said that "my attorneys have convinced me that the odds of victory were slim." Stone was convicted in a jury trial last November on seven counts of lying to Congress, obstruction of Congress and witness tampering related to his attempt to cover up his efforts for the 2016 Trump campaign to obtain stolen Democratic documents. His conviction stood even after he received the President's commutation in July, and he had vowed to try to clear his name in the court system. "I have been fully informed of the circumstances of my case and the consequences of a dismissal, and I wish to dismiss the appeal," Stone wrote under penalty of perjury on Monday.

Stone's attorney's realized that a Donald Trump sentence commutation for his friend Roger Stone will not change the facts of this case.

Roger Stone is and will remain a convicted felon. Convicted of covering up Trump criminality.

The smart money would be on dropping it. Continuing the appeal will have no effect on his remaining life, other than costing him a lot of money he'd probably rather spend on other things.

Back
Top Bottom