• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roe v Wade overturned - politico obtains draft opinion

It's only the start.

The Texas idea of empowering civil vigilantes should get its own day in court. It's unbelievable that a State government would need citizens to do their dirty work for them, and potential penalties from civil cases are way too severe considering that civil courts do not require a criminal standard of proof.

Then there's the well-worn stat that half of women seeking an abortion already have at least one child. What kind of justice for the unborn is it, which leads to other born children having to live in the back of their parent's car?

The Federalist society Supreme Court may just have inadvertently boosted Democrats chances in the mid-terms and got Biden re-elected to a second term:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Yep, the bigger story is what a shit show the court has become.. it will take decades to repair the legitimacy of the court.

Turns out the email lady was...right about everything.

If the Court were to overturn Roe it goes back to the states to decide what to do about abortion. That would be the small government spproach since it puts the actual decision making closer to the people.

You forgot "if they don't like it they can move."

Policies with a disparate gender impact should require a referendum by gender. Approval of a majority of men AND approval of a majority of women, would be required. Otherwise you have dictatorship of the majority across gender lines.

These are the states where a majority oppose abortion:

StateLegalIllegal
Arkansas38%60%
Mississippi36%59%
Alabama37%58%
West Virginia35%58%
Louisiana39%57%
Kentucky36%57%
Tennessee40%55%
South Carolina42%52%
North Dakota47%51%
Utah47%51%
Indiana43%51%
South Dakota48%50%
Missouri45%50%
Texas45%50%

2014 Pew

All shitholes of course, but the point is that only the top four or so can be expected to have a majority of WOMEN opposed to abortion.

Not sure what your point is

Giving states a power which no government should have, leaves citizens with no alternative but to move.

You said "small government" but state government powers over abortion are BIGGER government, compared to neither feds nor state having that power.

How anyone could read "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated" and think it DOESN'T enforce a privacy right, is quite baffling. Does Alito still have all his marbles?

My God, if this is accurate.

Hard to believe, and while whatever legal argument they make might be true, it wont matter in the end. Abortion will not be criminal everywhere, and like anything govts try to ban, itll just go underground. Now if they could just overturn the ATF and FDA.

The Federalist society Supreme Court may just have inadvertently boosted Democrats chances in the mid-terms and got Biden re-elected to a second term:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only in some states. The US may just become even more divided. Maybe we can finally get a separation. #Texit

Giving states a power which no government should have, leaves citizens with no alternative but to move.

You said "small government" but state government powers over abortion are BIGGER government, compared to neither feds nor state having that power.
Moving laws and regulations closer to the people they affect is the essence of small government. Whether government should have a particular power is a completely different question. I was only pointing that you were incorrect in saying moving abortion regulation to states was not small government. I didn't comment at all on whether and to what extent abortion should be regulated (though if you have read anything I've written on the topic you'd know I am against outlawing or hindering access to abortion)

Here is the relevant statement from the story. Twitter hasnt banned this leak yet, so we dont know if its russian disinformation yet. Hopefully DHS will tell us.

"We hold that Roe and Casey must be overruled. The Constitution makes no reference to abortion, and no such right is implicitly protected by any constitutional provision, including the one on which the defenders of Roe and Casey now chiefly rely—the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment."

If true, they are right that abortion isnt in the constitution, but wrong about it being implicit. All rights are reserved to the people. As there is no clause preventing abortion, its reserved to the people. In addition, there are restrictions on govt interfering with our physical persons.

This was all but inevitable. For decades, legislators have refused to actually legislate on this issue. Roe v Wade is an opinion and opinions can (and apparently will) change. Write a bill, vote it into law, and have it affirmed. That's what the pro-choice legislators have been doing and they are seeing success.

Relying only on a court opinion is almost as tenuous as relying on an executive order. Make it a law or accept that it can be changed. Protests, signs, angry words, and lamentations on the "unbearable unfairness" is no substitute for a bill signed by the President and affirmed by the courts.

How anyone could read "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated" and think it DOESN'T enforce a privacy right, is quite baffling. Does Alito still have all his marbles?

This isn't about privacy. This is about medical personnel being able to legally preform the procedure.

Moving laws and regulations closer to the people they affect is the essence of small government.

State laws in some places just got a lot stricter. There was no "move" from Federal to State.

Whether government should have a particular power is a completely different question. I was only pointing that you were incorrect in saying moving abortion regulation to states was not small government.

There was no Federal regulation, not since Republicans fully defunded Planned Parenthood.

I didn't comment at all on whether and to what extent abortion should be regulated (though if you have read anything I've written on the topic you'd know I am against outlawing or hindering access to abortion)

You should be against big government when it's state governments outlawing abortion, then. Doubly so if you oppose that.

The ruling is likely to bring out voters for both parties; not sure which will get more. These Republicans wouldn't understand citizen rights if it slapped them in the face, whatever you think of Roe. That's why the Warren court was excellent, actually defending people's rights (yes, I know Roe was the Burger court).
Maybe not but they DO understand State's rights.

Wherever you stand, bear in mind this is a preliminary DRAFT decision.

There is no guarantee the final official version will be the same.

Only in some states. The US may just become even more divided. Maybe we can finally get a separation. #Texit

Your Republican leaders wouldn't go for that. They are fully aware their form of "governing" doesn't actually work. plus let me let you in on a little secret you probably know any way...the GOP despises their own voter base and wants nothing to do with them outside of pandering to them for votes. You think Trump would want to live amongst his redneck base in some right wing utopia?:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Your Republican leaders wouldn't go for that. They are fully aware their form of "governing" doesn't actually work. plus let me let you in on a little secret you probably know any way...the GOP despises their own voter base and wants nothing to do with them outside of pandering to them for votes. You think Trump would want to live amongst his redneck base in some right wing utopia?:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yawn

Back
Top Bottom