• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roe is just the beginning.... Griswold will be next

Now that the precedent is going to be "let the states decide"...interracial and gay marriage will be at the prerogative of the states as well. Look for this in the next few decades.
OK. I'll play.

If that's true, what is the problem? It should have always been a state matter by the 10th Amendment.

Same-sex marriage was a prerogative of the states and we were moving to a national consensus when the Supreme Court stepped. I do not see that as a problem either. The interracial issue is pure snark. You should know better.

Right, because they want to waive student loans to specifically help doctors and lawyers. :rolleyes:

Who do you think owes the most in student loans? White doctors and lawyers.....

can you come up with a rational reason for a state to outlaw gay marriage or civil unions?

Progressives and libertarians had literally been asking this question for decades up until SCOTUS's decision (which, btw, a conservative family member of mine said Roberts should be shot for.)

If conservatives continue down this regressive path you could turn out to be correct in your prediction. We already have a Republican senator saying Griswold should be overturned.

Birthright citizenship is something else they want to overturn. SB8 in Texas has provided the roadmap. The Roberts court has given it their approval.... Now if there is an inconvenient law that a state wants to circumvent, they simply write a clever law that doesn't hit any of the trip wires and they are home free.

Was that the only people who were eligible for student loan forgiveness?

Essentially, those who can "drive or fly" to a neighboring state--your words; not mine--are those affluent enough to be able to do so.

Okay.....????

You can take a train, like $25-30.

So Democrats care about poor people now? They are talking about waiving student loan debt for doctors and lawyers who make over 100k.

Class warfare? Gimme a break.
Are you attempting to imply they are talking about waiving student loan debt for only doctors and lawyers who make over 100k? Because that would be a lie. Surely you're not trying to deceive people.

Okay, and...? Those same progressives also want to tax those rich doctors and lawyers far more.

some on the right note the same about gun control In both cases, there is merit to this argument if someone is poor and lives in an abortion banning state.
Uninterested in whataboutism

And the lesser educated/poor are more likely to not use or obtain birth control
Ok, and?

1651554597570.png

Healthcare (which includes nurses) is only 12.17% of Bachelor Degrees.

You're simply making stuff up at this point.

Now that the precedent is going to be "let the states decide"...interracial and gay marriage will be at the prerogative of the states as well. Look for this in the next few decades.
I am unaware of any political movement that stands any chance of winning the majority of elected seats in any state that proposes bringing back miscegenation laws.

Maybe some states could want to go back to defining marriage properly, but I doubt that will happen either. Most “conservatives” when polled now have no problem with homosexual “marriage”. The same is not true with abortion.

As far as griswold, griswold was also a bad decision.

So Democrats care about poor people now? They are talking about waiving student loan debt for doctors and lawyers who make over 100k.

Class warfare? Gimme a break.
I haven't seen that. Do you have a link?

can you come up with a rational reason for a state to outlaw gay marriage or civil unions?
Many conservatives don't like it and want it banned. That is all the reason needed. C'mon, you've seen posters on this very forum who have no reservation calling it immoral, deviant behavior that must be banned. Why pretend this isn't something they'll push for next?

Many conservatives don't like it and want it banned. That is all the reason needed. C'mon, you've seen posters on this very forum who have no reservation calling it immoral, deviant behavior that must be banned. Why pretend this isn't something they'll push for next?
Well, to be fair, he did ask for a "rational reason". You won't find one where religion is concerned. Some christian leaders thought that Florida was getting hit with hurricanes as a result of Disney having "gay days" at their theme park.

I'm still sort of new here but if this board is like other boards, you could probably find dozens of posts that state very plainly that marriage is between one man and one woman. I'm agnostic on religion. But as I was raised a Methodist, I can see where procreation of the species ties into that whole argument. Inter-racial marriage that will undoubtedly also be targeted will be straight out of the irrational nature of Christianity.

Well, to be fair, he did ask for a "rational reason". You won't find one where religion is concerned. Some christian leaders thought that Florida was getting hit with hurricanes as a result of Disney having "gay days" at their theme park.

I'm still sort of new here but if this board is like other boards, you could probably find dozens of posts that state very plainly that marriage is between one man and one woman. I'm agnostic on religion. But as I was raised a Methodist, I can see where procreation of the species ties into that whole argument. Inter-racial marriage that will undoubtedly also be targeted will be straight out of the irrational nature of Christianity.
Fair enough. Rational reason: conservative politicians recognize that some of their electorate passionately hate gay people and will provide funding, votes and adoration if said politicians translate their passion into public policy.

Interracial marriage? Clarence Thomas himself is in an interracial marriage. The fact that you would stoop to that kind of allegation shows how low your politics is.

Interracial marriage? Clarence Thomas himself is in an interracial marriage. The fact that you would stoop to that kind of allegation shows how low your politics is.
I don't think it will happen any time soon. As I recall, Senate Minority Leader McConnell is in an interracial marriage as well.

But I think the right wing has its sights set on making this society as homogeneous as possible.

Imagine a pro-choice state passing a law that child support begins at conception. A woman who becomes pregnant in a state that bans abortion can then move to such a state and sue for child support. Imagine the surprise when new fathers learn of UIFSA.

Deuce,

Look at the population numbers. If more people do not have more babies, our civilization will crumble.

The global birthrate has been on a steady decline since 1960. There is no reason to have an abortion, we need the complete opposite.

That's sick. If higher birth rates are desirable, government should encourage them with more tax credits or some help buying a home. Not by forcing women who don't want to (and often can't afford to) to raise more children.

Half of abortions are women who already have at least one child, so the extra child is not the only child being raised in poverty if you ban abortion.

What other methods are you willing to support in furtherance of forcing women to be pregnant?

Using the police power, armed employees of the state should go around raping any women who look like they can afford to raise children.

More good citizens will surely result. Mom resenting their very existence will surely give them character ...

I feel dirty just joking about that, but it's where you go when women are so afraid of pregnancy that they won't do sex at all.

Gay marriage is definitely next.

Yep. They'll disguise it under "anti-grooming". It's a bone they'll throw their idiot base so they can continue getting their votes as they give tax cuts to their wealthy donors while giving a middle finger to the working class.

Back
Top Bottom