• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rodeo Clown Brouhaha Justified?

Is suspending a rodeo clown who wore an Obama mask for life justified?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • No.

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
A rodeo clown wearing an Obama mask at the rodeo has resulted in his suspension from the rodeo "for life" and all the clowns have to undergo sensitivity training, among other things. Is all this justified?

A rodeo clown wearing an Obama mask at the rodeo has resulted in his suspension from the rodeo "for life" and all the clowns have to undergo sensitivity training, among other things. Is all this justified?

No, it's incredibly stupid. Clowns are supposed to be unfunny while attempting to be funny. If they weren't, they wouldn't be clowns.

No, it's incredibly stupid. Clowns are supposed to be unfunny while attempting to be funny. If they weren't, they wouldn't be clowns.

I thought clowns were also supposed to be murderous things?

Is all this justified?

No. Unless there is a previous rule that states that you cannot mock a sitting president, the ban, sensitivity training, etc. is BS.

Nothing was racist in this and some people REALLY need to loosen up. I don't find what he did funny, but I don't think ANY of this is necessary either.

No. Much ado over nothing. Free country; free speech and all that.

No, not on that act alone.

Banning him forever is a big overreaction. If they don't want political clowns, that's understandable.

Certainly doesn't justify three threads. :mrgreen:

I voted NO, but only due to the "lifetime ban".
A ban for life is a bit excessive.

I found the actions of the announcer and the clown to be horrifically embarrassing, racist, and distasteful.
Each time I see this on the TV I become physically nauseated.
There is no doubt that both the announcer and clown should have been fired. But I wonder if many more should be held accountable and if any such firing would only be to save face.

The lack of respect for America by Americans has sunken so low that I have to wonder if we have a future as a Nation.
We as a people have become completely disconnected with old school concepts such as honor and respect.

No.

Also, I have an Obama mask. It was a part of my Halloween costume last year. Everyone thought it was pretty funny and no one got offended. I even won a costume contest. I live in an area thats also like 70-80% Democrat or something.

Its not really a big deal.

Way to whitewash what the asshat clown did. He did far more than wear a mask.

I have attended many rodeos in the heart of we don't like commies country. NEVER, EVER has there been a political skit done to amuse the crowd as the pens are reloaded or the equipment moved around between events. Can't say I have even seen a clown wear a mask as if it gets turned sideways while he is fighting to keep a bull off a downed rider the clown is in for a lot more trouble.

These guys are called clowns but in fact they are there for the rider's safety, not to make balloon animals.

I think it sent a very clear message- keep political hacks out of the arena.

To be very clear- it was no suspension, it was a ban for life, but from only ONE arena. He won't starve, his family will be fed.

anonymous polls suck

Way to whitewash what the asshat clown did. He did far more than wear a mask.

I have attended many rodeos in the heart of we don't like commies country. NEVER, EVER has there been a political skit done to amuse the crowd as the pens are reloaded or the equipment moved around between events. Can't say I have even seen a clown wear a mask as if it gets turned sideways while he is fighting to keep a bull off a downed rider the clown is in for a lot more trouble.

These guys are called clowns but in fact they are there for the rider's safety, not to make balloon animals.

I think it sent a very clear message- keep political hacks out of the arena.

To be very clear- it was no suspension, it was a ban for life, but from only ONE arena. He won't starve, his family will be fed.

What the clown did was make an expression of political speech that you don't like. He has the right as an American citizen to do that, and your wish to have him suppressed and your acquiesce to the ban is un-American.

That he was banned from one arena in no way makes the ban excusable. The officials who did that are cowardly scum, kowtowing before the ignorant, hateful mob.

What the clown did was make an expression of political speech that you don't like. He has the right as an American citizen to do that, and your wish to have him suppressed and your acquiesce to the ban is un-American.

That he was banned from one arena in no way makes the ban excusable. The officials who did that are cowardly scum, kowtowing before the ignorant, hateful mob.

If by ignorant hateful mob you mean their customers than yes, freedom of speech cuts both ways. People are equally free to be upset about this, which is the business knows affects its bottom line, as they are to be upset at other people being upset.

I may have fired the guy myself, if you create problems for your employeer. If you say for example worked for a company and spent your time telling people how terrible they are, not to buy their products, etc, why should that company continue to employ you? Sure you have every right to say these things, but freedom to do is not freedom from consequence.

But no a life ban, even at a perticular fair is excessive.

What the clown did was make an expression of political speech that you don't like. He has the right as an American citizen to do that, and your wish to have him suppressed and your acquiesce to the ban is un-American. That he was banned from one arena in no way makes the ban excusable. The officials who did that are cowardly scum, kowtowing before the ignorant, hateful mob.

No he didn't. He was on the company clock and made fun of the President. He wasn't on a street corner, comedy club, political rally... he was WORKING at a STATE FAIR rodeo. There is absolutely no guarantee of the 1st amendment at work. It doesn't matter if I liked it or not, the State Fair board didn't. Funny how Cons support employer rights when it is against Unions but not when it is in protecting the employer's interests.

So just to be straight on this- If an employee working the counter of Chik-fil-a tells everyone they serve that abortion is a right, that all employers should provide birth control, and all employers should be forced to support Obamacare... you'd support that 100%?

I love your last line... as if the State Fair Board was up in a tower, besieged by an angry mob! :roll:

Hell, most of us knew nothing about this until AFTER the board acted. No mob, just a deep visceral gut check for the board and they acted in a strong and decisive way.

I thought libertarians liked the free market.

No, the episode is dramatically overblown.

I laugh at those feigning to be indignant and thank them for showing just how tolerant they really are...

The knee jerk reaction from racists and conservatives is to blame the "libruls" and the "Librul press" for the punishment this insensitive racist asshole got.
Why don't Sean and Bill and Glen direct their outrage at the Missouri state rodeo commission? It was their decision.

No he didn't. He was on the company clock and made fun of the President

That shouldn't bother you.

There are full time jobs of making fun of the President. Michael Moore for instance. Rush Limbaugh. Few people get upset over their treatment of the President.

What should bother people is what the clown was suggesting happen to Obama via the clown at a state event. I'd like to think we have a society that doesn't advocate the idea that the (or a) President should be seriously injured/killed at a family state fair in front of a crowd. But some people here feel that if it's a member of the other party, it's okay to do just that.

There's a difference between making fun of the President and suggesting that the President should come to potentially fatally bodily harm. You can do the first one all you want and shouldn't expect backlash.

The firing was righteous. The brouhaha whining about it is not.

Back
Top Bottom