• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rock overtakes pop in UK album chart

Infinite Chaos

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Rock music overtook pop in UK album sales last year, winning a bigger share of the market for the first time in five years.Rod Stewart's Time was the best-selling album to be classified as rock by the Official Charts Company, followed by Arctic Monkeys and Bastille.
In total rock accounted for 33.8% of album sales, compared with 31% for pop, said industry body the BPI. Link.

Sense and reason has at last prevailed among the young of my country!

I don't like the Arctic Monkeys but this is still good news for my aging ears. I abandoned the most popular radio station long ago because they played incessant boy and girl band rubbish or we were subjected to Simon Cowell's X-factor winners so this is good news.
However, pop records still held the lead in single sales.

There's always a dark lining to my silver clouds.

:(

I don't like the Arctic Monkeys but this is still good news for my aging ears. I abandoned the most popular radio station long ago because they played incessant boy and girl band rubbish or we were subjected to Simon Cowell's X-factor winners so this is good news.

It may seem good, however by "rock" they mean the closest thing to rock in the top 40 - Indie. Arctic Monkeys, Bastille, etc.. all those who are counted in the chart for rock are technically not rock. The fact that they have a guitar-bass-drums line-up instantly puts them under rock for some people, or they may market themselves for the credibility of being "rock".

Of course endless electronic noise, auto tuned vocals and rapping are going to continue to dominate the charts until something that will be counted as a new wave or scene for them to like that their parents won't.

I think i'll stick with my Heavy Metal :rock:

-- I think i'll stick with my Heavy Metal :rock:

Me too but at least our young are looking beyond Simon Cowell type boy / girl bands at last.

Still waiting for some real fire in our young generation that will change the music scene though.

Couldn't care less what the genre is, as long as the music is good.

Me too but at least our young are looking beyond Simon Cowell type boy / girl bands at last.

Still waiting for some real fire in our young generation that will change the music scene though.

I wish that they will break out of the notion that "Because it is new it is good" which applies 90% of the time.
People are becoming dissatisfied with the increasingly bland song structures and lyrics which has constituted 2000's-2010's top 40 with only a few exceptions.

What I've never understood about boy bands or girl bands is that none of them are actually 'bands'. The word band actually implies some sort of musical ability with an instrument of some sort. To call them 'bands' is to insult every rock and roll band that ever sweated out guitar chords or bass runs, from Buddy Holly through the Beatles to Led Zepplin to Pink Floyd. Perhaps somebody could explain to me what makes them bands?

Back
Top Bottom