• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robert Reich: American Workers Are on Strike Over 'Low-Wage S*** Jobs'

From a companies standpoint, they're the same thing.

What do you call a worker's ethic who shows up everyday, does whatever you tell them to, is willing to work for next to nothing, and never complains about anything?
low self esteem.

Work for what you're worth. America wasn't meant for wage slavery.

low self esteem.

Work for what you're worth. America wasn't meant for wage slavery.
Low self esteem is exactly the right kinda candidate that employers are looking for for menial labor work.

Bottom line is this...hiring non legal workers constitutes risk in the form of fines, jail time, etc...yet millions of non legal residents are going to work every day. This is for one reason, and one reason only...the POTENTIAL cost of employing illegals is less than the guaranteed cost of employing legal residents.

Low self esteem is exactly the right kinda candidate that employers are looking for for menial labor work.

Bottom line is this...hiring non legal workers constitutes risk in the form of fines, jail time, etc...yet millions of non legal residents are going to work every day. This is for one reason, and one reason only...the POTENTIAL cost of employing illegals is less than the guaranteed cost of employing legal residents.
sounds like a problem, innit?

then why do so many illegal immigrants want to take these jobs then? Am I to think that an illegal immigrant has more work ethic than an american who is born here?

In general an illegal immigrant seeking work is willing to work longer for less money, as the lifestyle they can get in the US is better than back home. Americans want better than having to work 13 hr a day and living in a bunk house eating crappy food to be able to afford to live

When the “safety net” is so generous that it offers serious competition (an alternative?) to ‘low wage’ work, the problem might not be the existence of ‘low wage’ work (capable of attracting millions of ‘undocumented’ foreign workers) - it might be that the “safety net” has simply become too generous.
all you people do is continue to spout the same stupid shit. There is enough moeny to pay workers livable wages and corporations and CEO/shareholders to make tons of money and be wealthy. THey are just greedy scumb. Yeah, keep lying and defending the POS

I think it proves the wages are way too low, as half of america already knows. I do not understand folks who have no problem with hundreds of billions being spent of the military each and every year but have a problem with the federal government spending money on we the people?
They are brainwashed people. Plain and simple. Selfish, ignorant, unempathetic, and they don't live in reality

sounds like a problem, innit?
With an incredibly simple solution...prosecute and heavily penalize those caught employing illegal workers.

Of course, this is a known thing that neither dems nor reps wanna touch.

What restrictions are you thinking of?

I STRONGLY suspect there is a lot of under the table work since the pandemic started.

I expect a ton of people are driving for food delivery/ride sharing companies.

The pay is likely similar to working at a restaurant or fast food, but the schedule is set by the worker. No last minute shift cancelations no having to rush from one part time job to another to get enough hrs to live.

I expect a lot of the jobs that can’t be filled are temp jobs, or part time jobs with irregular hours. For many people working the gig economy is likely just as financially beneficial

all you people do is continue to spout the same stupid shit. There is enough moeny to pay workers livable wages and corporations and CEO/shareholders to make tons of money and be wealthy. THey are just greedy scumb. Yeah, keep lying and defending the POS

Large employers generally offer higher pay and fringe benefits than smaller employers do.

Well, if you're not willing to work you can hardly gripe about a supposed income gap (or much of anything for that matter).

Perhaps it's time for a "stakeholder economy." If you're under 60, and not disabled, and you've received more in government subsidies than you've paid in taxes, then perhaps your right to vote should be suspended? After all, if you're only going to ride in the wagon, and not do your part pulling it, why on earth should you have a say on the wagon's direction?

(Only kidding ... maybe ...)

The majority of farmers net well over 25K per year, meaning, AFTER EBIDTA, which when you factor in "rent", or where they live, means, they have realistic earnings of 50-80k per year, for the smaller time farmers...that ain't bad. You'll forgive me if I don't weep for the plight of the "poor" farmer. Add into that their typical net worth of 1 mill+, and then the question becomes....why are we spending so much to support these folks, when we won't spend any to support folks who work just as hard, do just as much, but make far far far less.
Right-wingers have a problem with equal protection of the law for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States.

Right-wingers have a problem with equal protection of the law for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States.

Nope, California is most definitely not being run by right-wingers. UI was never intended to pay people who simply elect not to work and is extremely unlikely to become that sort of program, even in California.

Nope, California is most definitely not being run by right-wingers. UI was never intended to pay people who simply elect not to work and is extremely unlikely to become that sort of program, even in California.
My local representative is republican.

Only because segregation was "legal" back then.

AVvXsEgK2bTbs6UnkPmahHm9cmzh40Y6bbm8kOnnKmiyX8Q2tLThyPZTVQT8U5JJE-EVMqf2MTa1xpi6MGR4m3Zr-8W_kwAKztzp0gDsp4flXqwkItbYxeAu-9FD_KtkALgPwCT0gKDEedACMlmLetkk8Stz3Qxj0hIr6ml8SU-gtRcBjrkdGRJA9Q

I think it proves the wages are way too low, as half of america already knows. I do not understand folks who have no problem with hundreds of billions being spent of the military each and every year but have a problem with the federal government spending money on we the people?

Or huge profits by companies that then overwhelmingly go into the pockets of the already ultra-wealthy in the way of “dividends”.

Or huge profits by companies that then overwhelmingly go into the pockets of the already ultra-wealthy in the way of “dividends”.

Not sure if you ever plan to retire. If you do, on what do you expect to live?

Another left wing liberal who was a bust as labor secretary. The answer isn't more money or more benefits, it's willingness to forge your way with education, work, and perseverance. Stop telling people they are victims, start encouraging work and effort. The entire idealogy of liberals is destructive to individual success. They will not be happy until we are a social/marxist country where everyone has the same thing. Except for the 10% of the oligarchs at the top. Who of course will be the liberal politicians and the super rich. You want success in this country get out and work for it. No body said it would be easy but success is waiting to be had.

Didn't Trump say it was a "rigged system"? Is there success to be had in a rigged system? Doesn't the existence of the working poor prove that is false?

So the workers Bezos treats like robots do they work to enrich themselves or work to enrich Bezos?

Back
Top Bottom