• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robert Byrd, longest-serving member of Congress, dead at 92

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Washington (CNN) -- West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd, the self-educated son of a coal miner who became the longest-serving member of Congress, died early Monday at age 92, the senator's office said.

Byrd, a nine-term Democrat, was known as a master of the chamber's often-arcane rules and as the self-proclaimed "champion of the Constitution," a jealous guardian of congressional power.

His speeches were laced with references to poetry and the Greek and Roman classics, often punctuated by the brandishing of his pocket copy of the national charter.

He was also known as the "King of Pork," using top positions on the Senate Appropriations Committee to steer federal spending to his home state -- one of the nation's poorest.

Byrd relished the title.

"Pork, to the critic, is service to the people who enjoy some of the good things in life, and I've been happy to bring to West Virginia the projects to which they refer. I have no apology for it," he said.

Link

My condolences to his family.

If Byrd was a Republican all headlines would read something like "Former KKK member, Robert Byrd (R) dead at 92."
Oh well, my condolences to his family.

If Byrd was a Republican all headlines would read something like "Former KKK member, Robert Byrd (R) dead at 92."

Wow, it only took one post before this got ugly.

Barbbtx, if you took the time to read the article before your asinine post, you would have seen this bit:

He opposed civil rights when he first ran for office, a stance he came to regret later in life. He blamed "that Southern atmosphere in which I grew up, with all of its prejudices and its feelings," for his opposition to equal rights, which included joining the Ku Klux Klan in the 1940s.

He called the move "the greatest mistake of my life," an "albatross" that would always shadow his career.

RIP, Senator Byrd.

Pork ladened ku klucking bigot.....

The country is better with him out of the senate.

Barbbtx, if you took the time to read the article before your asinine post, you would have seen this bit:

RIP, Senator Byrd.

I stand by what I said. If he was an (R) his affiliation with the KKK would be the headline.
RIP Robert

Everything in WVa is named after him, so he'll be well remembered.

RIP, Senator Byrd.

Was being a Klucker the biggest mistake of his life... or, was it fillibustering the Civil Rights Act... or was it saying the "N" word on national tv... ???

By the way, West Virginia is not a southern state.

Everything in WVa is named after him, so he'll be well remembered.

That's for sure. I never really understood that. Why did they love him so much? was it the pork? WV is still a very poor state.

That's for sure. I never really understood that. Why did they love him so much? was it the pork? WV is still a very poor state.

Everything is named after him by his design, he got the funding for the stuff and made them name it after him.

You think the people of WVa did the naming?

Matthew 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.
3 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

He's well liked in WV because he's one of our own. He was raised in a small coal mining town by coal miners (and btw, he was born in NC), he went to local colleges. He came from humble roots, like just about everyone in WV does, and that was certainly part of his appeal. Yes, he was in the KKK in his younger years, but I applaud his candor about that time. He made a mistake and he came to understand and acknowledge that. Who here hasn't changed their views over the years?

In 1997, he told an interviewer he would encourage young people to become involved in politics, but to "Be sure you avoid the Ku Klux Klan. Don't get that albatross around your neck. Once you've made that mistake, you inhibit your operations in the political arena." In his latest autobiography, Byrd explained that he was a member because he "was sorely afflicted with tunnel vision—a jejune and immature outlook—seeing only what I wanted to see because I thought the Klan could provide an outlet for my talents and ambitions." Byrd also said, in 2005, “ I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened. ”

— Robert C. Byrd

As for the naming of roads, etc... yeah, there's a lot of **** named after him. And no, the "people" of WV don't do the naming, but our elected officials do. The people CAN recommend names and have.

Will he or won't he attend the funeral?

Obama, that is.

There's some political strategy debate going on in the inner sanctum right now, I'd bet.

RIP Sen. Byrd

Conservatives are some hateful folk.

I respect anyone who is able to see the error of their ways and renounce them publicly. Takes courage. RIP, you old geezer!

Last edited:
Will he or won't he attend the funeral?

Obama, that is.

There's some political strategy debate going on in the inner sanctum right now, I'd bet.

RIP Sen. Byrd
He will, it'll be sign of forgiveness to Byrd and show Obama as a uniter. He can't lose.

I've been told there's three things that are of grave, almost holy, importance to West Virginians.

1. God
2. WVU Football
3. Robert Byrd

Can't say I've been a huge fan of the man, but condolenses to his family and to those of his state.

Conservatives are some hateful folk.

I respect anyone who is able to see the error of their ways and renounce them publicly. Takes courage. RIP, you old geezer!

You do realize the dood filibustered for 14 hours against the civil rights act?

Tigers, stripes and all that....

Didn't he use the word nigger recently on the senate floor?

I've been told there's three things that are of grave, almost holy, importance to West Virginians.

1. God
2. WVU Football
3. Robert Byrd

Can't say I've been a huge fan of the man, but condolenses to his family and to those of his state.

You are right. I've been spending a LOT of time in West Virginia the past two months and looks like I'll be there most of the time for the next 3-4 months. I find it hard to believe that any politician from WV could possibly vote for the cap and tax bill. The only real industry left in WV is coal mining.

One good thing about West Virginia... it's the one state that manages to make eastern Kentucky look good. Compared to WV, eastern KY is cosmopolitan.

Nope, said it in a tv interview in front of a national audience.

I don't particularly mourn his loss, and I believe he should have retired 20 years ago.

And publicly admits to being wrong. How often do you see politicians do that?

You are right. I've been spending a LOT of time in West Virginia the past two months and looks like I'll be there most of the time for the next 3-4 months. I find it hard to believe that any politician from WV could possibly vote for the cap and tax bill. The only real industry left in WV is coal mining.

One good thing about West Virginia... it's the one state that manages to make eastern Kentucky look good. Compared to WV, eastern KY is cosmopolitan.

No, coal mining is NOT the only industry left. Tourism is the big industry in WV, as it should be since it is an absolutely beautiful state. (And that's not even mentioning chemical production, lumber, and livestock)

As for it not being cosmopolitan... good. We don't WANT it to be. The sooner all you goddamn city folk realize that, the better.

Last edited:
No, coal mining is NOT the only industry left. Tourism is the big industry in WV, as it should be since it is an absolutely beautiful state.

As for it not being cosmopolitan... good. We don't WANT it to be. The sooner all you goddamn city folk realize that, the better.

I love WV, the fact that it's so poor, means the government dumps tons of money into the roads.... It's the Good Reverend's personal race track....

From Seneca rocks to 50, 250, 92. and all over that state... :thumbs:

I love WV, the fact that it's so poor, means the government dumps tons of money into the roads.... It's the Good Reverend's personal race track....

From Seneca rocks to 50, 250, 92. and all over that state... :thumbs:

hehe Yup, I've driven those roads a ton. Currently driving 250 quite a bit, over the mountains between Charlottesville and back home in WV. And I've driven 92 a ****ing ****load. BEAUTIFUL drive! It was my straightaway between my parent's place and getting back to the river.

No, coal mining is NOT the only industry left. Tourism is the big industry in WV, as it should be since it is an absolutely beautiful state. (And that's not even mentioning chemical production, lumber, and livestock)

You're correct. Coal is not the ONLY industry left, but it dwarfs all other WV industry.

Back
Top Bottom