• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Robert a Heinlein the greatest American science fiction author has been spurned by the media. I think it is because of his libertarian politics.

Bear's Wardogs trilogy is probably the best thing I've read in a couple of years.
Blood Music and Darwins Radio and Children I have read. Also the Foundation Book he wrote but I wasn't impressed with their New Foundation Trilogy. It was okay.

Blood Music and Darwins Radio and Children I have read. Also the Foundation Book he wrote but I wasn't impressed with their New Foundation Trilogy. It was okay.

The Wardogs thing is sort of "Jack London reboots Alien". Definitely worth a read.

This thread is going to cost me a fortune on Amazon Books.

I was looking for Haldeman's Forever Peace and it turns out to be the 6th book in the series.

If it's any comfort, you're in for a lot of good reading there. Best of luck with it!

It's more that he was a shitty writer. He wrote one half decent novel (Starship Troopers) and 30 years of crap.
Disagree on his other work being crap. Hollywood turned Starship Troopers into a crap movie that was nearly opposite the book because they blew their budget on CGI. Starship Troopers fought individually, miles apart in power suits; not in masses in trenches.

Disagree on his other work being crap. Hollywood turned Starship Troopers into a crap movie that was nearly opposite the book because they blew their budget on CGI. Starship Troopers fought individually, miles apart in power suits; not in masses in trenches.
The book still sucked.

This thread is going to cost me a fortune on Amazon Books.

I was looking for Haldeman's Forever Peace and it turns out to be the 6th book in the series.
I was thinking about replacing my shelf full of Heinlein paperbacks with Kindle digital copies, so I checked price and availability. Talk about a fortune, I kept the paperbacks!

Guess who I like the best? Brin, Bear and Benford are really good. Ben Boba as well.

Tons of books based on Asimov's Foundation universe and Robot stories.
Will Smith ruined "I Robot" worse than he ruined "I Am Legend" in movies.

Yah, the movie thought it was refighting Beau Geste & Ft. Zinderneuf. & yes, they blew their SFX budget on the spaceships & bugs - they should have upped the SFX budget considerably, & done a lot more with the powered suits. (Or cut or sharply reduced the massed troopers & bugs scenes, which might have freed enough budget to be worthwhile with the suits.)

I want in on any Heinlein discussion thread. I believe I read everything he ever wrote except Tramp Royale. And I'm going to check Amazon for a copy.

After the spectacular disaster Verhoeven made of Starship Troopers I'm in no hurry to see a SiaSL movie.

I've slowly replaced all the MMPs I bought when I was young and poor with hardcover editions. .

What did you guys think of that 2 volume biography? I was disappointed.

Asimov, Bradbury, Arthur C. Clarke.

Then Larry Niven, Frank Herbert (Whom I always found depressing for some reason. The White Plague, horrid.) But rarely a mention of Heinlein in the same breath. It's a travesty.

David Brin is pretty good.

Jules Verne and H.G. Wells go without saying.
I got hooked by Heinlein's youth series and future histories along with "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson and "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester. I read "Podkyne of Mars" to my kids and grandkids along with " The Witches of Karres" by James Schmitz, and "The Flying Sourcerers" by David Gerrold & Larry Niven. I highly recommend Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End", "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky".

I got hooked by Heinlein's youth series and future histories along with "I Am Legend" by Richard Matheson and "The Stars My Destination" by Alfred Bester. I read "Podkyne of Mars" to my kids and grandkids along with " The Witches of Karres" by James Schmitz, and "The Flying Sourcerers" by David Gerrold & Larry Niven. I highly recommend Vernor Vinge's "Rainbows End", "A Fire Upon the Deep" and "A Deepness in the Sky".
Kudos for reading character building, mind opening books to those kids. Kudos.

I was thinking about replacing my shelf full of Heinlein paperbacks with Kindle digital copies, so I checked price and availability. Talk about a fortune, I kept the paperbacks!
Tip for book nerds (I mean it as compliment) try a library book sale finder. com. Just find the one for your state. Mint condition first editions under $5. You never know what you'll find, from current bestsellers to beautiful editions of old classics people found in their attacks, to gorgeous glossy books on art and artists. I found many Heinlein hardcovers. I usually go to big sales or sales in wealthy towns. And who doesn't want to help a library?

Why else is "A Stranger in a Strange Land" not a Netflix series.
Could it have something to do with Heinlein's obsession with incest?

Great writer, other than that, if you are a teenage boy, which around half of us were. I read any Heinlein I could find at that age, but the incest made me cringe.

If they'd done the power armor, it would look like Power Rangers.

That doesn't work very well in movies.

Didn't read the book so I can't compare to the movie.
I liked it. The sequels sucked but the first I thought combined SF with a bit of comedy plus I grew up across from Flushing Meadows. Who knew they were space ships. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom