• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel

rocket88

Mod Conspiracy Theorist
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies[/h]
(That's the full title, not enough room in title line of thread)
RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies « Hot Air

If they have not agreed to pull this programming prior to the start of the RNC’s Summer Meeting on August 14, I will seek a binding vote stating that the RNC will neither partner with these networks in 2016 primary debates nor sanction primary debates they sponsor.”

So we're all about people's freedom of speech....unless they use it to make a movie about Hilary Clinton. We're all about freedom of the press.....unless they use it to air said movie.

I thought it was Liberals who only liked speech they liked....oh well....

BTW, as a side note to Mr. Priebus - You get more out of having your debates on the air than they do.

Re: RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, canc

[h=1]RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies[/h]
RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, cancel your Hillary movies « Hot Air

So we're all about people's freedom of speech....unless they use it to make a movie about Hilary Clinton. We're all about freedom of the press.....unless they use it to air said movie.

BTW, as a side note to Mr. Priebus - You get more out of having your debates on the air than they do.

The media also has a ethical duty to keep fair elections by not overly playing a certain candidate.

Re: RNC issues ultimatum to NBC and CNN: If you want to air GOP debates in 2016, canc

The media also has a ethical duty to keep fair elections by not overly playing a certain candidate.

They have a First Amendment right to say what they want to.

I didn't say they couldn't, I just said it is pretty unethical. ;)

What does their refusal to allow NBC to air the debates if they air the Hillary Clinton mini-series have to do with freedom of speech or press?

[h=1]So we're all about people's freedom of speech....unless they use it to make a movie about Hilary Clinton. We're all about freedom of the press.....unless they use it to air said movie. I thought it was Liberals who only liked speech they liked....oh well....

I would suggest that producing (and/or funding) a made-for-television movie (documentary or otherwise) about a very likely candidate for POTUS on the other side of the political spectrum would make me think twice about associating with an individual or organization, too.

[h=1]BTW, as a side note to Mr. Priebus - You get more out of having your debates on the air than they do.

Not really. At least not iwth the Republican Party, as has been shown the last two election cycles. The party members will select whomever the party tells them to. Those of us who are NOT Party members will choose to vote for or ignore that candidate based on their record. Therefore, the Republican Primary cycle is really superfluous in most ways.

Just as the Republicans have a First Amendment (association) right not to do business or associate with those entities which they do not believe will treat them fairly.

not according to campaign rules a network is required by law to give equal time to both parties. so if NBC and CNN are going to do a mini series about Clinton they then are required to do the same for who ever the Republican candidate will be

The equal-time rule specifies that U.S. radio and television broadcast stations must provide an equivalent opportunity to any opposing political candidates who request it. This means, for example, that if a station gives one free minute to a candidate on the prime time, it must do the same for another candidate. The rule was created because the FCC thought the stations could easily manipulate the outcome of the elections

Equal-time rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

No they don't. The First isn't all encompassing. In regards to this issue, I can see how any party might take the same actions against a network airing what is essentially a giant campaign ad for the opposition cloaking it as a biography. That said, if I were in the party top circle I'd have already put together a competing biopic of the Hillary showing her ties to the death of Vince Foster, her hands dirty time with the Rose law firm and the dozens of other crooked coverups she's been party to over the years.

[h=1]So we're all about people's freedom of speech

"free speech" concerns govt entities, their actions, and non-actions. Because the govt effectively operates a monopoly on power. The RNC is a private organization using leverage in an attempt to steer policy at a private corporation.

It's no different than you deciding not to eat at Chick-filla due to their position on gay marriage

not according to campaign rules a network is required by law to give equal time to both parties. so if NBC and CNN are going to do a mini series about Clinton they then are required to do the same for who ever the Republican candidate will be

But the shoe is on the other foot - the RNC won't let them broadcast the GOP debates so they can't follow the equal-time rule.

Not if they air the miniseries before she announces a bid for president. Still seems a little unethical though.

Wouldn't it be better for Democrats to not have as many people watch the GOP debates?

Doesn't seem like a very effective threat.

The CNN program is a documentary and is exempt as per your Wiki link.

Wouldn't it be better for Democrats to not have as many people watch the GOP debates?

Doesn't seem like a very effective threat.

depends if you think a network is more concerned about politics or a pay check.

But the shoe is on the other foot - the RNC won't let them broadcast the GOP debates so they can't follow the equal-time rule.

the RNC isnt a radio or a television broadcast station are they

No. NBC is, however, and they are subject to the equal-time rule. However, it appears as if the GOP won't allow that.

But if they pull their debates from the networks, it's hard to give them equal time if they don't take it.

It seems dumb to me. "We won't let you give our candidates free air time!" Who gains more from the debates being aired?

Not if they air the miniseries before she announces a bid for president. Still seems a little unethical though.

I imagine this will be one of those issues like, filibustering, campaign funding, political action committees, and redistricting. Where such is claimed to be completely reasonable until your side gets the **** end of the stick, and the root of all evil, until your side is taking advantage of it.

oh, hey, pete

Well, which is it? The money or the power? Sure, if they don't show the debates, they'll lose such advertising as there is during those debate shows. OTOH, they'll help keep the GOP candidates lesser known and thus have more Dem voters just by default. A choice must be made.

depends if you think a network is more concerned about politics or a pay check.

a documentary is an unbiased presentation of facts not a campaign commercial, and if CNN or NBC does anything that involves democrats that is what it will be. fiction

I would suggest that producing (and/or funding) a made-for-television movie (documentary or otherwise) about a very likely candidate for POTUS on the other side of the political spectrum would make me think twice about associating with an individual or organization, too. Not really. At least not iwth the Republican Party, as has been shown the last two election cycles. The party members will select whomever the party tells them to. Those of us who are NOT Party members will choose to vote for or ignore that candidate based on their record. Therefore, the Republican Primary cycle is really superfluous in most ways. Just as the Republicans have a First Amendment (association) right not to do business or associate with those entities which they do not believe will treat them fairly.

Well Hillary is a woman who isn't staying at home washing dishes and making babies so of course you wouldn't associate with anyone showing a powerful woman in a favorable light, political spectrum be damned. You not wishing to associate might be good reason for less regressive folks to take a closer look. ;)

I do agree the GOP should keep that freak show called the primary debates off the air. It was a circus where to most bizarre candidates took turns amusing the faithful only to be thrown under the bus by the same folks for the next clown to rise up and entertain them. I think it truly helped the Independents decide the GOP was just too regressive to be trusted in the Oval Office, and seeing how the GOP lost senate seats I'd say 'We the People' don't much care for the GOP to be too populous in Congress either...

I also see the RNC as punishing CNN and NBC- not feeling they wouldn't get fair treatment from those two, after all the 'conservative' touchstone is ALL major media outlets don't treat them fairly. :roll:

But if they pull their debates from the networks, it's hard to give them equal time if they don't take it.

It seems dumb to me. "We won't let you give our candidates free air time!" Who gains more from the debates being aired?

As I said, the GOP debates are essentially worthless to begin with. The regular members vote for who the party leaders tell them to, and the actual Conservatives turn around and tell the party to go fly a kite. It's really pretty much a joke of an affair to begin with.

Well, which is it? The money or the power? Sure, if they don't show the debates, they'll lose such advertising as there is during those debate shows. OTOH, they'll help keep the GOP candidates lesser known and thus have more Dem voters just by default. A choice must be made.

I imagine from their perspective politics is great until it ****s with your cash flow. Also, I'm rather skeptical that this is purely political, to begin with. It's like MSNBC or fox. I'm sure they really enjoy that they get to push a political agenda, but I imagine the main driving force there is providing people with a product they want to consume

Not really. At least not iwth the Republican Party, as has been shown the last two election cycles. The party members will select whomever the party tells them to. Those of us who are NOT Party members will choose to vote for or ignore that candidate based on their record. Therefore, the Republican Primary cycle is really superfluous in most ways.

It is free air time for their platform though. 2-3 hours on network TV of Republican views....

Just as the Republicans have a First Amendment (association) right not to do business or associate with those entities which they do not believe will treat them fairly.

They have the right to choose not to do business with them. It's just interesting that if the shoe were on the other foot, we'd hear screams of "Facism!"

a documentary is an unbiased presentation of facts not a campaign commercial, and if CNN or NBC does anything that involves democrats that is what it will be. fiction

You're judging it without seeing it first.

Back
Top Bottom