• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rising diesel prices lead to layoffs in trucking industry

Keystone was not shut down. Keystone XL was. Do you really think building a pipeline over the nations largest aquifer to transport the dirties most corrosive oil on the planet is good idea?
Oil companies slowed down on their own when prices fell. they are not ramping up production now because they are making more profits now by not doing so.
Yeah, because trucking and trains over that same aquifer are ever safer...
If you like 4 dollar a gallon gas, just wait for 6+ hell out west they are recomputing for 10 dollar a gallon gas! But hey, that scary what if scenario, at least you can feel good about it as inflation eats your dollar even more.

And the recession begins. Trucking companies laying off will have a huge ripple effect on the already broken supply chain and drag us down very quickly. Good work Biden. Your anti fossil fuels agenda is going as planned.

“A lot of these trucks you see now are not going to be here anymore.”

“Maurice Burnside, owner of Phaymis Trucking Company, said on NewsNation’s “Morning in America” that his fuel costs have nearly doubled from last year— going from $10,000 to $18,000.

“It’s a struggle,” he said. “The longer hauls are a bit more of a challenge. What we’ve been doing with my company, we’ve been taking shorter runs so we spend less money in diesel, but we also make less money.”

With high diesel prices expected to rise, Burnside expects the situation will continue to be detrimental to a lot of people.

“You can’t operate like that,” he said. “We can’t drive for free. We have families to take care of.”

the rising prices are not caused by Biden.....yes he could allow more pumping but the rising prices are simple pure price gouging ......the oil companies are making excessive profits because they can.......demand is high.......it's Capitalism 101......blaming Biden is nonsense

More maga people and people pretending to be maga people rooting for national economic failure. Remember their joy when you vote.
I own a small trucking company - the OP is absolutely correct.

We've laid off 2 drivers and 1 mechanic, and lost a 3rd driver to retirement that we are not going to replace because of cost.

It has nothing to do with your "MAGA obsession", and everything to do with disastrous FedGov policies.

Being snarky and vengeful toward working families as they suffer under the strain of your delusional green agenda is shameful.

Yeah, because trucking and trains over that same aquifer are ever safer...
If you like 4 dollar a gallon gas, just wait for 6+ hell out west they are recomputing for 10 dollar a gallon gas! But hey, that scary what if scenario, at least you can feel good about it as inflation eats your dollar even more.
Yeah, lets say a truck spills oil that would mean what hundreds of gallons? The pipeline Leakes it would mean thousands of gallons.....
This oil is not usually used for gas production and most is sent over seas anyway. Cutting off this future environmental disaster is not the cause of higher prices.
why are oil companies reporting record profits while not ramping up production on their existing leases?

And the people who committed election fraud for Biden can't say they didn't know this would happen. Biden's puppet masters TOLD everyone this is what they were going to do.

what election fraud? As you know, it has been shown repeatedly in every single investigation, almost exclusively conducted by republicans, that there was no election fraud. So, why do you repeat the same proven lie?

Yeah, lets say a truck spills oil that would mean what hundreds of gallons? The pipeline Leakes it would mean thousands of gallons.....
This oil is not usually used for gas production and most is sent over seas anyway. Cutting off this future environmental disaster is not the cause of higher prices.
why are oil companies reporting record profits while not ramping up production on their existing leases?
Pipelines can be shut off.
what election fraud? As you know, it has been shown repeatedly in every single investigation, almost exclusively conducted by republicans, that there was no election fraud. So, why do you repeat the same proven lie?
You should go watch 2000 Mules.

the rising prices are not caused by Biden.....yes he could allow more pumping but the rising prices are simple pure price gouging ......the oil companies are making excessive profits because they can.......demand is high.......it's Capitalism 101......blaming Biden is nonsense
Sad part is you actually think oil companies set prices.

• Like most commodities, the fundamental driver of oil's price is supply and demand in the market.
  • Oil markets are composed of speculators who are betting on price moves, and hedgers who are limiting risk in the production or consumption of oil.
  • Oil supply is controlled somewhat by a cartel of oil-producing nations called OPEC.
  • Oil demand is driven by everything from gasoline for cars and airline travel to electrical generation.

dude. the oil industry is sitting on a gazillion leases that they choose not to use.
They can't get Federal permits.

So in typically dishonest fashion your misleaders on the left tell a 1/2 truth that is given to you as a talking point - and you run with it as if you're presenting the whole truth.

Try doing some research - if you can muster up the courage to be honest.

There are mountains of evidence of election fraud in the 2020 election.

You are wrong about the investigations. Sure, some that were conducted by those trying to cover up the fraud show there was no election fraud. Not a surprise. But other investigation show that there certainly was election fraud.

But hey...keep denying the truth. I'm sure you'll get some useful idiots to believe you. Since I'm not a useful idiot, I won't be one of them.

Enjoy your alternate reality while the Biden pukes continue to destroy our economy.

Back to the topic:

Last edited:
I own a small trucking company - the OP is absolutely correct.

We've laid off 2 drivers and 1 mechanic, and lost a 3rd driver to retirement that we are not going to replace because of cost.

It has nothing to do with your "MAGA obsession", and everything to do with disastrous FedGov policies.

Being snarky and vengeful toward working families as they suffer under the strain of your delusional green agenda is shameful.
Fake news.

The political left wants high gas and diesel prices in order to discourage use. They are going to continue promoting policies which impede production, because high fuel prices are a "success" for the left. They are positively giddy at the idea of people having to deal with the financial hardships caused by steep fuel prices, and you can bet they want them even higher.

Environmentalism is a f-ed up, state-mandated religion which violates the establishment clause.

We need to remove Fire Marshall Bill from office. I hate Trump but I would gladly welcome him back until we found an intelligent non senile President.

Many existing (unused) leases lack confirmation that oil/gas is actually present and/or are not located near any accessible pipelines.

This has been brought up a couple times. Why do the energy companies deserve such certainty, especially when they are wildly profitable?

Why are they apparently purchasing and sitting on huge numbers of low quality leases?

This has been brought up a couple times. Why do the energy companies deserve such certainty, especially when they are wildly profitable?

Why are they apparently purchasing and sitting on huge numbers of low quality leases?
Hi, I want to invest millions of dollars into this endeavor, can I get certainty on my ROI?
No.
Okay, then I'll just not invest.

Hi, I want to invest millions of dollars into this endeavor, can I get certainty on my ROI?
No.
Okay, then I'll just not invest.

But they have invested, no? They own those leases. Presumably they could sell them off, or stop paying for them.

Why are they camped out on them instead, do you think?

Fake news.
yup, let's believe anecdotal stories from people who lie routinely. They are whining about green energy, then whine about gas prices being high. If we had more green energy, we wouldn't be so reliant on the market flucuations of oil prices, and reliant on greedy excessive profit corporations and countries who love when oil and gas prices are sky high, they make a killing.

The same people whining about that also worship the very greedy corporations that are exploiting "supply and demand" to bring in record profits. They also fight for higher wages, and then whine that people can'tt afford inflation. They are just pure partisan hacks with no facts, no arguments, just stupid finger pointing

More maga people and people pretending to be maga people rooting for national economic failure. Remember their joy when you vote.
I don't think pointing out mistakes is "rooting for it."

This is a chronic problem with the democrats. They do things because they sound good, but they never consider the long term consequences. I understand the desire to free this nation of oil production, with the potential and past disasters. But oil is a necessary resource, and the more dependent we are on foreign oil, the less secure we are when global production diminishes.

This is another failure 100% at the feet of the democrats in power.

I suspect wee will see a massive flip in the house, senate, and presidency in 2024.

But they have invested, no? They own those leases. Presumably they could sell them off, or stop paying for them.

Why are they camped out on them instead, do you think?
They are camped out because the ROI is in doubt for long term.

What could Biden do to reduce diesel prices?
A full repeal of all sanctions against Russia, a roll back of regulations on drilling in public lands, reopening shuttered refineries with state support, use of the DPA to stop the conversion of refineries to biofuels.

There is no physical reason more diesel can’t be made, this is a political problem.

Julius Caesar or Napoleon could lower the prices if they were in charge now

And you can not lie, but actually you can't, because you are a factless right winger so lies are all you have

Oil companies aren't using the leases they already have. YOu are just spouting typical moronic right wing crap as usual
Having leases in areas without commercially viable oil doesn’t help.

Hmm,
Not cancel pipelines
Not end leases
Cut red tape on exploration and drilling and "commit to lower energy costs"
Cut regulation and red tape to allow new refineries to be built
GTFO of the idiotic Paris Accords
Invest in American Energy Independence.

You can do all of the above, and still pursue alternative energy options, but this admin went full on into alternative energy and we're seeing the very negative impacts that's having. Energy is the driver of the economy and when energy is costly/scarce/unreliable... the economy suffers.
In 2021 there were something like 15 oil and natural gas pipelines started to be built /re-built and opened and not a word about them from the right only the yelling about shutting down the Keystone XL pipeline.
If the oil company would have just re-routed the XL pipeline and put it next to the original Keystone pipeline like the Gov. asked them to it could have been built.
If 4 more Senators some from states like TX, OK, NM, AZ would have voted to override Obama's veto it could have been built.
and it still would not be complete for another year or so, and it was taking TAR SAND oil to the gulf to be shipped overseas and not used for gas here.
Biden did NOT end the leasing of Federal lands he only suspended them for 6 months
He has been granting leases and drilling permits ever since something like June of 2021
besides Federal lands supply only a small percentage of the oil in the US
Fact is two of the largest oil producing states have 2% or less federal land in their states, TX and OK so what is all the big deal over the federal lands?
AS I said TX and OK have 98% of all the land in their states open to private leases and the oil companies can drill all they want there.
somebody said they increased royalties on existing leases I haven't seen anything on this if they have a link I would like to see it. those leases run for 10 years and are almost automatically renewed if they are producing oil besides the oil companies were granted leases on something like 26 million acres of Federal lands right before Trump left office are they using them?
from what I have read they are looking into increasing them on NEW leases so if the oil companies don't want to pay the people of the US a fair royalty equal to what private land owners get they don't have to lease that land
Have a nice day

dude. the oil industry is sitting on a gazillion leases that they choose not to use.
Not true. Besides, do you understand how many years it takes to go from an unexplored leased land to production?

How many of those 30,000+ leases revoked were already being explored?

They are camped out because the ROI is in doubt for long term.

My take is that it's not that these leases (or at least many\most of them) couldn't be profitable, but that the overall ratio p/l ratio isn't in their preferred sweet spot yet, and so they wait.

It's inventory control, and it's impact is to increase prices, which is also part of their goals.

This doesn't make them villains, but they aren't babes in the woods either. They are manipulating the market every bit as much and more as any government.

In 2021 there were something like 15 oil and natural gas pipelines started to be built /re-built and opened and not a word about them from the right only the yelling about shutting down the Keystone XL pipeline.
If the oil company would have just re-routed the XL pipeline and put it next to the original Keystone pipeline like the Gov. asked them to it could have been built.
If 4 more Senators some from states like TX, OK, NM, AZ would have voted to override Obama's veto it could have been built.
and it still would not be complete for another year or so, and it was taking TAR SAND oil to the gulf to be shipped overseas and not used for gas here.
Biden did NOT end the leasing of Federal lands he only suspended them for 6 months
He has been granting leases and drilling permits ever since something like June of 2021
besides Federal lands supply only a small percentage of the oil in the US
Fact is two of the largest oil producing states have 2% or less federal land in their states, TX and OK so what is all the big deal over the federal lands?
AS I said TX and OK have 98% of all the land in their states open to private leases and the oil companies can drill all they want there.
somebody said they increased royalties on existing leases I haven't seen anything on this if they have a link I would like to see it. those leases run for 10 years and are almost automatically renewed if they are producing oil besides the oil companies were granted leases on something like 26 million acres of Federal lands right before Trump left office are they using them?
from what I have read they are looking into increasing them on NEW leases so if the oil companies don't want to pay the people of the US a fair royalty equal to what private land owners get they don't have to lease that land
Have a nice day
People like her don't want to read facts they like bite sized tidbits that match their bias.
Hell she thinks 2000 Mules is a factual documentary.......

Back
Top Bottom