• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RIP Tom Verlaine

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Tom Verlaine was one of the most influential guitarists and songwriters that almost no one has heard of. One of the original bands to play CBGBs, his band Television influenced some of the biggest names in punk and art rock, such as Talking Heads, REM, Blondie, Patti Smith(who was close to him all the way up to his death) The B-52s, The Ramones, U2, The Damned, The Heartbreakers, and oh so many more. He was a guitar virtuoso who did not play fast, but played every note perfectly and with purpose.

His death was announced by Jesse Paris Smith, the daughter of Mr. Verlaine’s former love interest (and occasional musical collaborator) Patti Smith, who said that he died “after a brief illness.”

Although Television achieved only minor commercial success and broke up after recording two albums, Mr. Verlaine had an enduring influence, especially on his fellow guitarists. (He was also Television’s singer, primary songwriter and co-producer.)

“Verlaine persisted in playing the guitar while those around him were brandishing it as a weapon,” Kristine McKenna wrote in Rolling Stone in 1981.

The album contained eight songs, mostly written by Mr. Verlaine, and showcased two lead guitarists who did not just trade solos but also built sonic cathedrals out of countermelodies and interlocking parts. Although Mr. Verlaine was renowned as a lead guitarist, Mr. Lloyd said that his work as rhythm guitarist was underrated. “He used to drag me kicking and screaming through five minutes of solos,” he said in an interview.

I cannot emphasize how great Verlaine was as a guitarist and songwriter. His music could just transport you into the world of his songs. While forever tied to the punk movement, his music mostly sounded nothing like punk. Instead of simple, fast guitars, he played intricate melodies. He is noted for the crystal clarity of his guitar notes, using little if any distortion.

Tom Verlaine was one of the most influential guitarists and songwriters that almost no one has heard of. One of the original bands to play CBGBs, his band Television influenced some of the biggest names in punk and art rock, such as Talking Heads, REM, Blondie, Patti Smith(who was close to him all the way up to his death) The B-52s, The Ramones, U2, The Damned, The Heartbreakers, and oh so many more. He was a guitar virtuoso who did not play fast, but played every note perfectly and with purpose.

I cannot emphasize how great Verlaine was as a guitarist and songwriter. His music could just transport you into the world of his songs. While forever tied to the punk movement, his music mostly sounded nothing like punk. Instead of simple, fast guitars, he played intricate melodies. He is noted for the crystal clarity of his guitar notes, using little if any distortion.

Some of the best guitarists (in my opinion) weren't about speed. Sometimes it's as much about the spaces between the notes.
I don't know your guy here but I'll look for him.

Sorry to hear it.

Marquee Moon is a great album. I still listen to it.

Speed is simply a technical exercise. Too many people mistake fast for virtuosity. It's what's played and when that matters.

Love Marquee Moon. It was a college staple.

Not familiar with him, but may he rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom