• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[RIP]'Star Trek' actor Anton Yelchin dead in freak accident

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
[FONT=&quot]Anton Yelchin, best known for playing Chekov in the recent "Star Trek" movies, was found dead early Sunday morning after apparently being pinned between his car and a brick mailbox on his property, [/FONT]TMZ[FONT=&quot] reported. He was 27.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Yelchin's publicist, Jennifer Allen confirmed the actor's death.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]He was found around 1 a.m. by friends who had been alarmed when Yelchin did not show up for a rehearsal, TMZ reported. The car's engine was running and the car was in neutral, law enforcement sources told TMZ. Yelchin's driveway was on a steep incline.
[/FONT]
'Star Trek' actor Anton Yelchin dead in freak accident | Fox News

That's just... sad.

"The car's engine was running and the car was in neutral, law enforcement sources told TMZ. Yelchin's driveway was on a steep incline."

That is a freak accident, especially considering the car was in neutral!

Maybe not such a freak accident.

SUV that rolled, killed 'Star Trek' actor was under recall - seattlepi.com

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The SUV that rolled down a driveway and killed "Star Trek" actor Anton Yelchin was being recalled because the gear shifters have confused drivers, causing the vehicles to roll away unexpectedly, government records show.
Yelchin, 27, a rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the rebooted series, died Sunday after his 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee pinned him against a mailbox pillar and security fence at his home, Los Angeles police said.
The 2015 model-year Grand Cherokees were part of a global recall of 1.1 million vehicles announced by Fiat Chrysler in April, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration records show.
The agency urged the recall because of complaints from drivers who had trouble telling if they had put the automatic transmissions in park. If they were not in park and a driver left the vehicle, it could roll away.

Whoa - good catch!

Unfortunately, the (apparently sole) witness to the incident ... is deceased.

I'm always looking for a good reason to hold a seance. :mrgreen:

"The car's engine was running and the car was in neutral, law enforcement sources told TMZ. Yelchin's driveway was on a steep incline."

That is a freak accident, especially considering the car was in neutral!

If the car was in neutral, that means it could roll.

2016 ain't messin' around.

If the car was in neutral, that means it could roll.

I was taught, to ALWAYS apply the parking break. ALWAYS. No if, no ands, no buts. Parking brake, car off, seat belt off.

My first car was a Chevy Nova and it blew up on the freeway. That was the last time I ever bought an American car.

Being murdered by your own car is a ****ty way to go. Remember Christine?

How do you know the key's been removed?

Oh yeah, I forgot these new fangled cars have start buttons and have removed common sense safety features.

My first car was a Chevy Nova and it blew up on the freeway. That was the last time I ever bought an American car.

You bought a brand new Nova and it blew up on the freeway?

What caused that?

Being murdered by your own car is a ****ty way to go. Remember Christine?

Hey, Christine never hurt anyone that she didn't see as a threat to herself.

This is different.

Oh yeah, I forgot these new fangled cars have start buttons and have removed common sense safety features.
Plus some people temporarily exit a car when in 'park' and the engine running. From the article I suspect this is one of the issues.

For example:

Guy coming home from work and backing into his garage thinks he put the vehicle in park (but it's not), and gets out of the car to move the kid's bike out of the way, and then *BAM*!

[hopefully it only rolls over the bike]

Plus some people temporarily exit a car when in 'park' and the engine running. From the article I suspect this is one of the issues.

For example:

Guy coming home from work and backing into his garage thinks he put the vehicle in park (but it's not), and gets out of the car to move the kid's bike out of the way, and then *BAM*!

[hopefully it only rolls over the bike]

When I heard about this I got the image of a guy that left the car in neutral, and when it started to roll he got in front trying to stop it.

When I heard about this I got the image of a guy that left the car in neutral, and when it started to roll he got in front trying to stop it.
Or even worse, he had his back to it when getting the mail or opening the gate!

Back
Top Bottom