• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RIP Lou Brock

Brock was a great ballplayer and one of my heroes as a kid. His baseball cards NEVER went on my bike.

A great player on championship teams. Traded by the Cubs for Ernie Broglio. The Cardinals never looked back.

Hall of Famer Brock, Cardinals legend, dies at 81
"(Broadcaster) Brent Musburger was just out of college when the trade was made," Brock told MiLB.com in 2010. "They sent him in to do the story. It was his first assignment. The content of the interview led to a headline in the paper, `Cubs pull off greatest steal since the Brink's Robbery.'

"So every time I see Brent, that's our connection. He wrote that, so every time I see him I say, "You still think that was the greatest steal since the Brink's Robbery?"'

Source: (Daily Herald) Lou Brock, who went from Cubs to Cardinals in infamous trade, dies at 81

Apparently, Lou wrote a book - too:

(Amazon) Stealing is My Game

Rest in peace, Lou Brock.

first ever major league game for me
yomiuri stadium, tokyo in the fall of '68 following the world series
yomiuri giants against the st louis cardinals
sadaharu oh was the japanese babe ruth
shigeo nagashima was the japanese lou gehrig
both teams played their nation's world series, but the cards lost to the tigers in 7 games while the yomiuri giants won it all
the japanese love baseball at least as much as Americans
the stadium is packed and i'm half way up in the stands facing middle left field
bottom of the ninth inning, cards are up by 1
with one out, nagashima hits a triple
sadaharu oh is up next
the normally sedate japanese fans are unusually loud
oh hits a line drive to short left field, certain to drive in the tying run with the winning run on base
there is a blur in left field as Lou Brock somehow catches up with the ball, in the air, on his shoelaces and in his glove
nagashima tags up to score
while Brock fires a screaming strike to the catcher in time to tag a sliding nagashima at the plate
the stadium was immediately silent
you could have heard the proverbial pin drop
well, that and a 16 year old baseball addict screaming his ass off - thrilled at the unexpected win
while it might be found shallow, i have never personally been so proud to be an American
THANKS for that memory, Lou Brock and rest in eternal peace

Back in the day before analytics and when base stealing was an important part of baseball.

He was 1 of the greats of my youth...

RIP Lou...

RIP Lou ... one of the best

Back
Top Bottom