• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RIP John Madden: Probably the best color commentator in NFL history

Missed the Christmas special. He was an icon. A life well lived.

Missed the Christmas special. He was an icon. A life well lived.

Yeah I missed it as well and I have no idea why - not like I had anything better to do, lol.

The thing I liked about Madden is, I really don't think his schtick in the broadcast booth was too far from who he really was. Sure there's some performance art involved, but he was really just being himself. He loved football - he was obviously a great coach, a great analyst, but he was also just a fan of the game and appreciated competition.

He gave a hell of a eulogy at Pat Summerall's funeral and that wasn't the least bit fake. He's got emotions, a good soul.

One of the very best and one of a kind.
RIP Mr.Madden

As a kid in England in the 90s the nfl wasn’t a thing like it is now. The madden games helped me understand the rules and eventually fall in love with the nfl. I know he’s way bigger than just a video game but that’s the impact he has on me and millions of other non American fans

RIP big man and thanks

Always respected his coaching skills even though I am a lifelong Bronco fan and a Raider hater.
Never cared very much for his rambling color commentary.

It is a shame so many will only know him as the name of a good football video game

They wouldnt know him as a NFL coach, or as one of, if not the best color commentator's ever to call a game

At times he was a little over the top, but i loved him for being REAL....there wasnt anything fake about Madden

RIP coach....i am sure there is a game up there somewhere, and you are somehow involved in it

Always respected his coaching skills even though I am a lifelong Bronco fan and a Raider hater.
Never cared very much for his rambling color commentary.

Agreed. Not sure why so many people call him a great color commentator.

He will be missed...I am very, very sad.

I never got to try a Turducken!

Agreed. Not sure why so many people call him a great color commentator.

I think Madden was definitely at his best when paired with Pat Summerall because they were complete opposites. It was a great pairing. One thing I thought was an original contribution from Madden was his insight into just how important the line of scrimmage was and how the game of football was one on the lines. I learned a lot about the art of blocking just by watching Madden break it down with his marker.

I think Madden was definitely at his best when paired with Pat Summerall because they were complete opposites. It was a great pairing. One thing I thought was an original contribution from Madden was his insight into just how important the line of scrimmage was and how the game of football was one on the lines. I learned a lot about the art of blocking just by watching Madden break it down with his marker.

I never thought about why they were so great together, but that pairing was legendary. The name Pat Summerall always makes me think of him sitting next to John Madden.

John Madden's favorite part of football was play at the line of scrimmage. He was a defensive linemen and defensive line coach at the college level.

I never thought about why they were so great together, but that pairing was legendary. The name Pat Summerall always makes me think of him sitting next to John Madden.

John Madden's favorite part of football was play at the line of scrimmage. He was a defensive linemen and defensive line coach at the college level.

Summerall was, what, a placekicker? So he was special teams. Madden was line. Two guys who played not-so-sexy positions, but positions that were very important and gave them the ability to analyze games in ways that ordinary color commentators might not. I think what's particularly remarkable about Summerall was that he wasn't a trained talent; he just kinda became that. He had a natural ability to do play-by-play, and make no mistake: play by play is hard. The great ones make it look easy. Summerall excelled in knowing when to just shut up and let people watch. Madden excelled at knowing how to bring excitement and analysis into the game. To me, he was the Joe Garagiola or Tommy Heinsohn of NFL broadcasting but with a bit more energy, lol.

My favorite Madden story is about a gift he gave his wife--tickets to the British Open. Think about it.

Back
Top Bottom