• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RIP Eddie Van Halen

Maaaaaan. How could I forget the maestro, Malmsteen?

Some of the lists out there are just ****ing idiotic. Slash and Mustaine are great players, but they are not in the top twenty, much less the top ten.

Yup, I saw some list that had Tom Warrior of Celtic Frost.

Celtic Frost's Glam Metal album was really bad, they should have stuck with death metal/black metal, instead of trying to go glam in the 80's.

According to FOX News, Van Halen had been battling throat cancer since he was first diagnosed in 2000. In 2015, Billboard magazine reported Van Halen had tongue cancer, which migrated into his esophagus. Consequently, one-third of his tongue had to be surgically removed.
I also had throat and medullary thyroid cancer...it sucks big time..and I am one lucky person to still be here writing this.

Rest in peace Eddie.

I also had throat and medullary thyroid cancer...it sucks big time..and I am one lucky person to still be here writing this.

You're one of the nicest posters on the board. :)
Neil Peart, the drummer from Rush, died back in Jan from brain cancer. The big C is an indiscriminate killer.

Growing up I wanted to be Eddie. This one hurts. RIP GOAT.

Layne Staley was such a horrible waste. Not a huge AiC fan, but that was just tragic. Amazing voice.

Hanneman was like, he's sick, aaaaaand he's gone. Just like that. Peart? No warning. Just gone. WTF man? So unfair.

Seems we are losing a lot of greats.

The drummer for Manowar died in 2011

Lemmy died in 2015

No Yngwie Malmsteen in the top 5 makes a list trash IMO. My top 5 (in no particular order): Clapton. SRV, Yngwie, Hendrix, Eddie. They were all unique and had/have their own distinctive sound. The harder part is filling out the rest of the top 10. So many great guitarists and too many will be left out.

How about these five for the rest of the list?

Les Paul
Scotty Moore
James Burton
Chuck Berry
BB King

One thing Eddie Van Halen appreciated were guitar players who could plug in and play straight up. Van Halen admitted that much of his sound was because in the beginning he couldn't afford pedals, fuzz boxes etc, so he had to find the "harmonics" another way.... and he did.

Kind of cool seeing Eddie embrace his age over the years, looking “normal” for a guy in his late 50’s and sixties.

Compare that to the weirdos in The Rolling Stones. Keith Richards is still trying to hold onto his image from 1973.

RIP. He was a legend.

How about these five for the rest of the list?

Les Paul
Scotty Moore
James Burton
Chuck Berry
BB King

One thing Eddie Van Halen appreciated were guitar players who could plug in and play straight up. Van Halen admitted that much of his sound was because in the beginning he couldn't afford pedals, fuzz boxes etc, so he had to find the "harmonics" another way.... and he did.
I just read that Eddie holds three patents. The first was a support device, allowing him to play the fretboard with two hands. The third was an adjustment feature letting him mess with string tension while playing. I forgot the second.

Ironically, I was playing the riff from “Ain’t Talking Bout Love” in my head early in the AM yesterday, as a flash from my first bromance came to me for some strange reason.

It was one of those weird thinking moments where one thought led to another with a soundtrack playing in the background. It starts with, man so and so was a good friend and goes off the rails with, “if I was ghey, I know I would have let that guy **** me.”

I know...TMI. <shrug>

Last edited:
Drugs and smokes wil do that. Ah the immoral hard rock lifestyle. Leading souls to hell

After Hagar said all the things he said about Eddie in the book he wrote, he had no right to expect Eddie's friendship, IMHO.
Sammy has confirmed that they had been texting for most of this year, but Eddie wanted him to keep it quiet so the rumors wouldn't explode about a reunion, obviously because it would never happen due to his health. Eddie didn't respond to his last few messages and he feared the worst.

Drugs and smokes wil do that. Ah the immoral hard rock lifestyle. Leading souls to hell
You know I wish we could just mourn people who brought us joy through their art without having to listen to holier than though assholes throwing in their two cents.

You know I wish we could just mourn people who brought us joy through their art without having to listen to holier than though assholes throwing in their two cents.
I don't find anything entertaining about hard rock. Maybe it sounds OK if you're high, I don't know.
The one decent song by KISS. Beth, got booed at their concerts; they eventually had to cut it out. That's not what those druggies wanted to hear.

Last edited:
Then explain Keith Richards...
Keith isn't exactly the picture of health. In fact he looks like he may have died some years ago.

RIP. This guy was a genius.

Nothing entertaining about that trashy music. Maybe it sounds OK if you're high, I don't know.
Then what the **** are you doing in this thread? Go back to your Trump dick sucking threads.

(y)(y)

Joni Mitchell was a fabulous guitarist, though not of the same type. Of course I don't like her politics either, but she did have talent. What a shame she screwed up her bell-clear voice through decades of smoking.

I never understood how Eddie got somebody like the cute Valerie Bertinelli. But that was before I understood what motivated women.

The man always looked like he was having fun...

GettyImages-511953094_van_halen_2000.jpg

Back
Top Bottom