• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RIP - DUSTY HILL - ZZ TOP BASSIST

Another of the good ones from the day. Wonder if pain killers were involved?

My guess is pain killers. He was having hip issues. Not my favorite band, but I liked some of their stuff.

RIP

Saw them in DC. (Capitol Centre,) and George Thorogood opened for them. The Delaware Destroyers were a better act that day. Loved their music videos on MTV, dates me somewhat……..’93 or ‘94.

Had the privilege to catch them in concert when they came to my hometown...a great time was had by all!:giggle:

Man, that's sad news. Rest in peace, Dusty Hill.

RIP Dusty Hill.

ZZ Top is one of my favorite bands. The Eliminator album is pure gold.

Some great pix in this video...

Some great pix in this video...

This is great. Love the black-and-whites and the nod to Mexican food. Thank you for posting this.

This should be the final chapter of ZZTop. Sad that it is but good things do come to an end.

I rather not see them pick up another bassist as it just wouldn't seem right.

A number of bands do have a revolving door for musicians but after 50 years of just the three of them those are mighty big shoes Dusty left.

This should be the final chapter of ZZTop. Sad that it is but good things do come to an end.

I rather not see them pick up another bassist as it just wouldn't seem right.

A number of bands do have a revolving door for musicians but after 50 years of just the three of them those are mighty big shoes Dusty left.
Maybe Tommy Shannon (Double Trouble, Arc Angels, Storyville) is available? Or Randy Bermudes (Fabulous T-Birds)?

Maybe Tommy Shannon (Double Trouble, Arc Angels, Storyville) is available? Or Randy Bermudes (Fabulous T-Birds)?
I think it is like when one's spouse passes away. It is just seems too soon to talk about a replacement.

But this shouldn't be the finale for Billy and Frank so they very well may find another bassist.

But that will take some getting used to.,

Wow, what a busy tour they have scheduled for the rest of the year.
From that interview it is obvious this passing this was not unexpected.
From Variety:

Says Gibbons: “Passing through the grieving process, I can tell you it’s no less than anyone else that loses a good friend or a close associate. And at the same time, knowing that this came up so suddenly — going to bed and not waking up… That was the luck of the draw. He was in, and he was out.”

...So it wasn’t anything where you had partly expected it or thought, boy, he’s seriously ill, and he might have a real problem on his hands?

Well, it’s no secret that over the past few years he had a pretty rough go with a broken shoulder, followed with a broken hip. And he had some problems with some ulcers.

...Is there an official cause of death now, or is it just he really fell asleep and didn’t wake up, and people don’t know?

That’s about all they can determine. Let’s face it, you don’t necessarily pass away from a broken shoulder or broken hip. Although the attending physician had earlier warned him that bursitis was not uncommon, even arthritis, and they said it’s not a very comfortable place to be. And I could tell that he was moving a little slow. He said, “Boy, this shoulder and hip are really starting to become a problem.” But, as of this juncture, yeah, it was off to dreamland and beyond. https://variety.com/2021/music/news...z-top-dusty-hill-died-carrying-on-1235031028/

From Variety:

Says Gibbons: “Passing through the grieving process, I can tell you it’s no less than anyone else that loses a good friend or a close associate. And at the same time, knowing that this came up so suddenly — going to bed and not waking up… That was the luck of the draw. He was in, and he was out.”

...So it wasn’t anything where you had partly expected it or thought, boy, he’s seriously ill, and he might have a real problem on his hands?

Well, it’s no secret that over the past few years he had a pretty rough go with a broken shoulder, followed with a broken hip. And he had some problems with some ulcers.

...Is there an official cause of death now, or is it just he really fell asleep and didn’t wake up, and people don’t know?

That’s about all they can determine. Let’s face it, you don’t necessarily pass away from a broken shoulder or broken hip. Although the attending physician had earlier warned him that bursitis was not uncommon, even arthritis, and they said it’s not a very comfortable place to be. And I could tell that he was moving a little slow. He said, “Boy, this shoulder and hip are really starting to become a problem.” But, as of this juncture, yeah, it was off to dreamland and beyond. https://variety.com/2021/music/news...z-top-dusty-hill-died-carrying-on-1235031028/
It really doesn't change anything in the whole scheme of things. But it appears Dusty told Billy he wanted the show to go on so Dusty may have had some premeditation of his own death.

Gibbons told Trunk that himself, the radio host reported, with the ZZ Top founder even sharing some final words he received from Dusty that had the bassist passing the torch to his successor. “Received this just now via text from [Gibbons] regarding [the] passing of Dusty Hill,” Trunk tweeted. “Billy told me [it’s] OK to share w/ fans: ‘As Dusty said upon his departure, ‘Let the show go on!’ And, with respect, we’ll do well to get beyond this and honor his wishes.'”

Back
Top Bottom