• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[RIP]Country star Merle Haggard dies at 79 on his birthday

Gina

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Of course it's gonna happen someday to all of us, but I'm sad to hear of his passing. I can hardly remember a time when I didn't know of his music.

Country star Merle Haggard dies at 79 on his birthday - ABC15 Arizona

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Country music legend Merle Haggard has passed away on his birthday. He was 79-years-old
The singer-songwriter was one of the pioneers of the Bakersfield sound. Haggard was also involved in the Outlaw Country movement.

(very small article)

Here's a longer article on his life: Merle Haggard Dead at 79

I started following him in 80's and was fortunate to get to see him on 3 occasions. All in his prime.

Songs I love:
"I Loving you Today"
"Big City"
"Sky Bo (The Way I Am)
"Misery And Gin"

Rest in peace, Merle.

Wonderfully talented man that help create the modern popularity of country music.

Some of my favorites:

one of the greats of classic country

he will be sorely missed

Thank you for posting this, Gina. I'm glad that his suffering is over, and I hope Merle is now drinkin' that sweet, free bubble-up and eatin' that rainbow stew.

I used to sing "Mama Tried" to my kids when they were teens. :mrgreen:

Here's Diamond Rio and Lee Roy Parnell's tribute cover "to THE workin' man, Mr. Merle Haggard":

Last edited:
Aw, that's so sad. He was a neat man and a great talent. Rest well, Merle. Thanks for the memories.

Thank you for posting this, Gina. I'm glad that his suffering is over, and I hope Merle is now drinkin' that sweet, free bubble-up and eatin' that rainbow stew.

I used to sing "Mama Tried" to my kids when they were teens. :mrgreen:

Here's Diamond Rio and Lee Roy Parnell's tribute cover "to THE workin' man, Mr. Merle Haggard":

You're welcome, Nota. You're right, glad his suffering is over. He had been in poor health over his last years.

I love your choice of lyrics. I'm just not poetic enough to think of the right send off, but yours was perfect (bubble up and rainbow stew).

He was still in good voice in 2009.

My mother loved him. Even met him a couple times, albeit just as a fan off-stage at a show. She does have a nice picture of her and him that she is very proud of.

He was my Dad's favourite country singer. So many of the classic country singers are gone now, not many left. :(

My mother loved him. Even met him a couple times, albeit just as a fan off-stage at a show. She does have a nice picture of her and him that she is very proud of.

What a treasure this is! I'd be proud too. :)

Good stuff, Gina.

Greetings, tres borrachos. :2wave:

I just returned from No Cal yesterday, and I was only three hours from Redding where he died! I didn't hear about it until I got back home! :shock:

Another great one gone! RIP Merle Haggard, and condolences to his family and friends. :peace:

Last edited:
I'm not a country music aficionado or even a huge fan of the genre... but it's indisputable that the man is an American Legend, and for that I give him thanks and wish him well in the great hereafter.

jeez, I can't really remember a time when Merle wasn't part of the musical landscape...:(

Going to have to have a beer and listen to him tonight!
He will be missed.

RIP Okie from Muskogee!

Rest in Peace.

He was one of the great ones. I only saw him one time in concert in the early 80s, during his bad boy days, and that was a huge disappointment - kept the audience waiting for an hour, then showed up too drunk to perform, some lady had to lead him onstage by the hand to keep him from falling over, sang maybe 40 minutes off a new album no one wanted to hear much, cussed out one guy who kept yelling for Okie from Muskogee, and when the audience booed that he just walked off stage and we're all sitting there....WTF? Is it over? After a few minutes the lights came up and that was that!

No matter - he was still a great country music singer and I'll miss him.

A great musician and a fine American....though a little on the rebellious side!

Though the body may be gone his legacy will go on for a long, long time.

Going to have to have a beer and listen to him tonight!
He will be missed.

RIP Okie from Muskogee!

I think I'll do the same, Monte.

one of the greats of classic country

he will be sorely missed

Sure beat the hell out of the modern country crap where they all sound alike.

He came to a military post in Bad Tolz Germany I think when I was a military dependent. Got his autograph I think. Gosh that was back in the late 6o's!

Last edited:
Of course it's gonna happen someday to all of us, but I'm sad to hear of his passing. I can hardly remember a time when I didn't know of his music.
Country star Merle Haggard dies at 79 on his birthday - ABC15 Arizona

(very small article)
Here's a longer article on his life: Merle Haggard Dead at 79

I started following him in 80's and was fortunate to get to see him on 3 occasions. All in his prime.

Songs I love:
"I Loving you Today"
"Big City"
"Sky Bo (The Way I Am)
"Misery And Gin"

Rest in peace, Merle.
No one did better saloon songs. RIP

Back
Top Bottom