• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rip aclu

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
The American Civil Liberties Union, as a champion of civil liberties, is dead.

Since the George W. Bush administration, the ACLU's dedication to its traditional civil libertarian mission has waned ever further. With the election of Donald Trump, its membership rolls have grown to almost two million, almost all of them liberal politically, few of whom are devoted to civil liberties as such. Meanwhile, the left in general has become less interested in, and in some cases opposed to, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and the rights of the accused.

With the Kavanaugh nomination process, the ACLU when completely insane.
the ACLU ran an anti-Brett Kavanaugh video ad that relied entirely on something that no committed civil libertarian would countenance, guilt by association. And not just guilt by association, but guilt by association with individuals that Kavanaugh wasn't actually associated with in any way, except that they were all men who like Kavanaugh had been accused of serious sexual misconduct.

Then the ACLU came out against due process.

The Department of Education released a proposed new Title IX regulation that provides for due process rights for accused students that had been prohibited by Obama-era guidance. Shockingly, even to those of us who have followed the ACLU's long, slow decline, the ACLU tweeted in reponse that the proposed regulation "promotes an unfair process, inappropriately favoring the accused." Even longtime ACLU critics are choking on the ACLU, of all organizations, claiming that due proess protections "inappropriately favor the accused."

They need to rename it the "American Anti-Civil Liberties Union.".

It follows a well established MO of the left:

1. Identify a respected American institution.
2. Kill it.
3. Gut it.
4. Wear it's skin while demanding respect.

American Civil Liberties Union, RIP - Volokh Conspiracy : Reason.com

When I was a whippersnapper, I was a bleeding heart liberal and, of course, a member of the ACLU.

Then as I started to have more experience involving those people for whom my heart bled, I realized how wrong I had been.

I then ripped up my ACLU card.

The ACLU, like many other activist groups, has decided that the only to stay in business is to join the Democratic Resistance. The New York Times, for example, was going broke until the election of Donald J. Trump gave it a new lease on life.

2. Kill it.
3. Gut it.

American Civil Liberties Union, RIP - Volokh Conspiracy : Reason.com

As usual, you raise a valid point, and then you kill any chance of a reasonable discussion of it by going bat**** at the end of your post.

2. Kill it.
3. Gut it.

The bottom line is that Colleges and Universities have no business getting involved with criminal allegations AT ALL!

If a student asserts that they have been the victim of a crime, then the proper system to seek relief is the criminal justice system.

You've been sexually assaulted or raped? Call the police and file a criminal complaint. Immediately!

These college "investigations" are (IMHO) kangaroo courts, where the simple allegation is assumed true and the accused has to prove they did not do it. As pointed out time and again, it is difficult to prove a negative unless one has an iron-clad alibi.

That means the accused has to show it could not possibly have been him/her because they were somewhere else doing something else at the time of the alleged crime.

I am shocked and disappointed with the ACLU's recent change in fundamental policy protecting freedoms and individual rights. This has been amptly demonstrated by their actions in the Kavanaugh appointment hearings and now with this anti-justice position regarding campus "rape culture" ideology.

This is a sad day for civil liberty advocacy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom