• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Riot erupts in French town as veiled woman claims police brutality[W:125:219]

Fallenangel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
By RFI A riot erupted in a town near Paris on Friday night after police stopped and charged a woman wearing the Islamic face-covering veil. Residents accused police of using violence against the woman's family, while police unions say her husband attacked an officer.

Riot erupts in French town as veiled woman claims police brutality - France - RFI

The French policemen would now probably think twice before approaching a veiled woman again...

Fallen.

re: Riot erupts in French town as veiled woman claims police brutality[W:125]

By RFI A riot erupted in a town near Paris on Friday night after police stopped and charged a woman wearing the Islamic face-covering veil. Residents accused police of using violence against the woman's family, while police unions say her husband attacked an officer.

Riot erupts in French town as veiled woman claims police brutality - France - RFI

The French policemen would now probably think twice before approaching a veiled woman again...

Fallen.

Since we don't know who started it I will make two arguments
It was a violation of the (French :roll: ) law and he was just trying to do his job, instead he is attacked.

Or

Albeit she broke a law, but the police acted out of hand and were far to vicious towards her. Her husband reacted in defence of his wife as did the community.

I hate all covering veils!!! Burkha's!!

But police brutality is too much also. There should be a way in between that could both promote police interrogation (too much hiding in the veils) and spare women who choose to wear such terrible all covering clothes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y9GRVlJ_UM

Since we don't know who started it I will make two arguments
It was a violation of the (French :roll: ) law and he was just trying to do his job, instead he is attacked.

Or

Albeit she broke a law, but the police acted out of hand and were far to vicious towards her. Her husband reacted in defense of his wife as did the community.

I'm actually less interested on the case itself, because as you pointed out it is indeed impossible for us to know who's fault was it.

I'm more interested in a discussion about the reaction of the local Muslim community - that instead of starting a civil protest, started clashing with Police officers, setting on fire stuff...etc.

Fallen.

I'm actually less interested on the case itself, because as you pointed out it is indeed impossible for us to know who's fault was it.

I'm more interested in a discussion about the reaction of the local Muslim community - that instead of starting a civil protest, started clashing with Police officers, setting on fire stuff...etc.

Fallen.

They could have handled it better to say the least of it.

But police brutality is too much also. There should be a way in between that could both promote police interrogation (too much hiding in the veils) and spare women who choose to wear such terrible all covering clothes.

Multi post :rofl

But for the most part I agree :)

The police could have handled it more professionally. It's the fasting month for the muslims.

The police could have handled it more professionally. It's the fasting month for the muslims.

However if this incident was at night then there is no excuse, they can eat and drink between sundown and sunrise.

However if this incident was at night then there is no excuse, they can eat and drink between sundown and sunrise.

If at night all the more caution is required. After breaking fast, it's a time of extended prayers.

Multi post :rofl

But for the most part I agree :)

Yes, it happens. I reported it. The mods should clean one away.

As for the freaking veils man! Designs against nature man! Oppressing natural urges to be attracted by watching feminine beauty is so wrong!

Just think! If hiding different sexes from one another, while permitting exposure of same sexes freely, which sort of sexual orientation does the culture seems to be promoting to you?

My thoughts remain the same as they were three years ago when French MPs voted to ban Islamic full veil in public. It's a ridiculous Law when you consider that only 0.015% of females in France actually wear it. How often in a country with approx 70 million odd million people are you going to even cross paths with one?

Whilst i absolutely agree that it is wrong for a man to force his wife or any female relative to wear the Burqa, and that part of the law should obviously stay, i disagree that people who choose to wear the attire shouldn't be able to.

Also, spare me the "argument" that you applaud this move because you care about women's rights. The fact is that this law denies women the right to choose what they wear, and that is every bit as wrong as men denying women the right to choose what they wear.

My thoughts remain the same as they were three years ago when French MPs voted to ban Islamic full veil in public. It's a ridiculous Law when you consider that only 0.015% of females in France actually wear it. How often in a country with approx 70 million odd million people are you going to even cross paths with one?

Whilst i absolutely agree that it is wrong for a man to force his wife or any female relative to wear the Burqa, and that part of the law should obviously stay, i disagree that people who choose to wear the attire shouldn't be able to.

Also, spare me the "argument" that you applaud this move because you care about women's rights. The fact is that this law denies women the right to choose what they wear, and that is every bit as wrong as men denying women the right to choose what they wear.

While agree that said law was stupid, it wasn't stupid because of the intention of the law, but because it's unenforceable. The intention of the law was to give women a legal footing in a trial if they are assaulted by muslims for not wearing a burqa or if they are forced to wear a burqa by the muslim community. Of course, the application of the law, not only does it leave it unenforceable, but it's also poorly implemented.

Now on the matter of this riot.
It's just another riot... Islamists have been rioting in Europe for years now. Some more dangerous, others less so. The latest were the ones in Stockholm, Sweden. Maybe who knows... we'll see another massive riot in France like the ones in 2006. Further solidifying the concept that islam is incompatible with western society.

I feel it's a little more complex than that. It is very difficult (probably near on impossible) to distinguish whether the woman wishes to wear the 'veil' out of personal choice, or some external factor. One can reasonably assume, if they are so inclined to wearing a veil in public they are from a very, very Conservative family. For me, that is probably a more pervading factor than 'personal choice motives'.

As for the societal aspect, that is a whole new topic :)

Paul

Europe gets what she wanted. Necessary to further deliver the Arabs to Europe.

My thoughts remain the same as they were three years ago when French MPs voted to ban Islamic full veil in public.

Wasn't just the Burkha - French ban on face covering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

resulting in the ban on the wearing of face-covering headgear, including masks, helmets, balaclava, niqābs and other veils covering the face in public places, except under specified circumstances

It is a stupid law but so long as the woman is consensually wearing the Burkha i'm ok with it, I don't like it, I would personally prefer them to wear a hijab if any muslim dress at all. However I won't stop a woman wearing a Burkha so long as she is ok with it. As far as I can see, its the French overreacting to something miniscule.

Are some women who are in oppressive relationships being forced to wear Burqa? Yes, and that is disgusting.

But tell me how, by banning full veil in public, their lives are being made so better overall? Nothing changes for them other than they are quite possibly rarely allowed to leave their homes now. Taking off the Burqa whilst they go out to do the shopping doesn't make their oppressive relationships go away.

And yes, personal choice is a very real factor. Many wear them because they want to. Has anyone here ever spoken to someone wearing Niqab and asked them why it is they do so?

Are some women who are in oppressive relationships being forced to wear Burqa? Yes, and that is disgusting.

But tell me how, by banning full veil in public, their lives are being made so better overall? Nothing changes for them other than they are quite possibly rarely allowed to leave their homes now. Taking off the Burqa whilst they go out to do the shopping doesn't make their oppressive relationships go away.

And yes, personal choice is a very real factor. Many wear them because they want to. Has anyone here ever spoken to someone wearing Niqab and asked them why it is they do so?

The Burka is not banned. Wearing a face covering mask is banned. If you went into town wearing a ski mask, then you too would be asked to remove it.

New York has had such a ban in place since 1845.

People here refer to "the Muslim community". By ceding the knuckle-dragging notion of men owning women as being inherently Muslim, they reinforce this very practice. Why not refer to the Muslim community by referencing, say, modern Turks, instead? Sometimes you get what you wish for and this practice of defending the most backward and barbaric instead of the most modern and forward-thinking only creates a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Also, people mention "choice". When the entire weight of a misogynistic culture does nothing to promote true choice and does everything to reinforce the notion of women as chatal, what kind of choice is there, really? It isn't always such a simple matter of wearing the blasted garment or face disfigurement from their owner as it is the pressure applied by their entire family, their clan, and their community.

Instead of defending barbaric people I prefer to promote liberal values, myself .How ANY westerner, much less liberal can defend institutionalized misogyny is beyond me.

"Barbaric people". Have you met the French police?

"Barbaric people". Have you met the French police?

They are the ones who do just about everything with more style and panache than the British, aren't they?

They are the ones who do just about everything with more style and panache than the British, aren't they?

How would a monomanicac Islamophobe know about either atrribute?

How would a monomanicac Islamophobe know about either atrribute?

I'm not always up to such riddles, skipper. Is this one of those local customs from The Isle of Man or something?

I do thank you for illustrating the point that one will be called names if they do not support viscious misogyny, however. Even if a person makes the point that we should be supporting liberal Muslims, if one dares criticize female genital mutilation, honor killings, or gender slavery in general, they WILL be on the receiving end of a personal attack at the hands of those who see nothing wrong with any of that because they have been programmed to react the way they do.

Fallen.
The French need to lay down their arms and start brushing up on their Arabic.

The French need to lay down their arms and start brushing up on their Arabic.

Actually, the French are one of the few societies in Europe that are actually trying to combat Islamism rather than appeasing it at every turn.

Actually, the French are one of the few societies in Europe that are actually trying to combat Islamism rather than appeasing it at every turn.
They're not doing a very good job, are they?

Back
Top Bottom