• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rio to use lethal combat drones and cameras to fight crime

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
https://phys.org/news/2018-12-cameras-drones-rio-de-janeiro.html

It's refreshing to see the safety of ordinary citizens supersede consideration for criminals. It's amazing what gets accomplished when you throw political correctness to the wind.

Rio de Janeiro state is moving ahead with plans to deploy security cameras and drones to help fight crime, according to its next governor, a far-right politician loyal to president-elect Jair Bolsonaro.

A tender to install 30,000 cameras will be launched soon, Wilson Witzel, who takes up the governorship of the southeast Brazilian state in January, told a media conference late Monday.

"Security is our priority," he said.

On Tuesday Witzel traveled to Israel to view drones that could be used to monitor armed drug gangs.

O Globo, a Brazilian news outlet, said it understood the drones included combat versions capable of firing weapons, which could be used for targeting gang members in hard-to-access favelas, or high-density slums.

The governor-elect was also reportedly to inspect Israeli-made cameras with face-recognition.

Shortly after his election, Witzel stirred controversy by saying he intended to authorize police snipers to kills armed criminals even if they presented no threat to officers.

****ing distopian.

No wonder someone who thinks Pinochet is a hero would support it.

It's refreshing to see the safety of ordinary citizens supersede consideration for criminals. It's amazing what gets accomplished when you throw political correctness to the wind.

I am not in favor of any government spying on it's citizens even if its to fight crime. Nor am I in favor of governments using lethal drones on their citizens. Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

I am not in favor of any government spying on it's citizens even if its to fight crime. Nor am I in favor of governments using lethal drones on their citizens. Political correctness has nothing to do with it.

And this is Brazil we’re talking about, a country that already has a big problem with extrajudicial killings, now they’re gonna casually fly up drones to cap people at Will?

How long before someone realizes this is pretty useful against political opponents?

And this is Brazil we’re talking about, a country that already has a big problem with extrajudicial killings, now they’re gonna casually fly up drones to cap people at Will?

How long before someone realizes this is pretty useful against political opponents?

I oppose the use of drones in public airspace period because it will desensitize people to seeing drones flying around in public. Which will allow the government to easily set up a surveillance state and use drones for extrajudicial killings and the killing of political opponents.

Two years from now if Trump gets reelected.

It's 1964 again but this time the people of Brazil voted for it. What were they thinking? I hope when they wake up and realise their big mistake that they will be able to vote out the defacto junta that has ruled the country since the sham impeachment of Dilma Rousseff. I also hope there will be opposition leaders still alive by the next election and that they are not droned out of existence.
Poor Brazil.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Absolutely.

(1) Here in Los Angeles, residents in a neighborhood called Venice are out of their minds. When they call police that they have been assaulted by the homeless, the police reply: Unless we personally see it, we cannot do anything.

(2) It's freezing cold right now in Chicago. I have just read that young gentlemen are roaming the streets and ripping coats off pedestrians.

Boy, oh boy, do we need drones in this country, too!

And the favelas are strung with fishing line, which will **** a drone up. Lasers to kill the cameras. One anti drone gun would put an end to the program.

Maybe we should start a kickstarter for one for them.

I oppose the use of drones in public airspace period because it will desensitize people to seeing drones flying around in public. Which will allow the government to easily set up a surveillance state and use drones for extrajudicial killings and the killing of political opponents.

The surveillance state ship sailed long ago.

Just watch any of the documentaries about what Google and Facebook are doing and then Co wider that the NSA collects all of our texts, emails and phone calls and screens them with AI.

They know WHO we are. They know WHERE we are. They don't really need cameras everywhere.

The good news is drones are kinda fragile by nature. They depend on GPS and those frequencies can be jammed pretty easily. There are also methods which interfere with their gyros. And its all out there. Remember, the multirotor was born an open source project, an international collaboration of R/C hobbyists.

We built that. We can take it down.

Back
Top Bottom