• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rio 2016 Olympic event discussion thread [W:13]

azgreg

Chicks dig the long ball
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
How about a thread to discuss the actual events? Leave the political crap in the other 47 threads.

US gets the first gold medal in the women's 10m air rifle. Nice.

It's cool watching events you normally don't get a chance to watch. I watched the women's handball match between Brazil and Norway. Fascinating.

The table tennis is always fun to watch as well.

The women's beach volleyball matches are... quality stuff.

How about a thread to discuss the actual events? Leave the political crap in the other 47 threads.

It's cool watching events you normally don't get a chance to watch. I watched the women's handball match between Brazil and Norway. Fascinating.

Do you really think you should discuss the event staged in a country that has not checked it's athletes for doping? Staged by a quasi maffios organisation that has excluded the troublemaker? That is in a country where an epidemic is unfolding of whom the UN warned? .....????

I don't think so.

Do you really think you should discuss the event staged in a country that has not checked it's athletes for doping? Staged by a quasi maffios organisation that has excluded the troublemaker? That is in a country where an epidemic is unfolding of whom the UN warned? .....????

I don't think so.

Feel free not to watch, and like I asked in the OP please try to keep the political BS in the other threads.

Congrats to Virginia Thrasher for winning the First Gold Medal....

Those air rifles and pistols are bad ass.

Been excited to watch some Handball and Rugby 7s when it's on. Going to have to record some of the tape-delayed swimming tonight to watch later (along with the cycling road race if they don't get around to it on the daytime broadcast before have to leave).

Anyways, yeah handball can be fun to watch, though I still haven't exactly figured out what is going on. Definitely check out Rugby 7s if you have never seen it, it's a good watch (very open play etc.).

USA takes silver in men's archery. S Korea is just too good in this event.

I love watching table tennis. Though the USA doesn't do well I know most of the big name players and have seen some of the older ones in live action. The problem with it is that unless you play the sport at a pretty good level, its hard to understand why world class players appear to miss "easy balls" The spin variation is unbelievable. Most basement players couldn't get any of those olympic TT athletes's serves back on the table unless they were using a long pips or anti-topspin bat.

Team Handball is great to watch. The USA needs to get some of our college basketball athletes into that game. we have much better athletes than the countries who dominate that event.

Another great sport you never see on USA TV is badminton. Like Table tennis, its not the picnic game Americans think of. Though Tennis players are stronger, Squash players fitter and table tennis players have more complex technique, the badminton athletes need tremendous quickness, fitness and the ability to think quickly under pressure.

The other thing I really like is the track cycling events. Cat and mouse games with furious bursts of speed.

I also like archery but I know all three of our American Silver medalists and the first alternate on that team is a close friend of my family

I love watching table tennis. Though the USA doesn't do well I know most of the big name players and have seen some of the older ones in live action. The problem with it is that unless you play the sport at a pretty good level, its hard to understand why world class players appear to miss "easy balls" The spin variation is unbelievable. Most basement players couldn't get any of those olympic TT athletes's serves back on the table unless they were using a long pips or anti-topspin bat.

Team Handball is great to watch. The USA needs to get some of our college basketball athletes into that game. we have much better athletes than the countries who dominate that event.

Another great sport you never see on USA TV is badminton. Like Table tennis, its not the picnic game Americans think of. Though Tennis players are stronger, Squash players fitter and table tennis players have more complex technique, the badminton athletes need tremendous quickness, fitness and the ability to think quickly under pressure.

The other thing I really like is the track cycling events. Cat and mouse games with furious bursts of speed.

I also like archery but I know all three of our American Silver medalists and the first alternate on that team is a close friend of my family

I love the velodrome events.

Feel free not to watch, and like I asked in the OP please try to keep the political BS in the other threads.

Doping is not "political BS" and we know that Russia systematically used doping to prepare its athletes and that the host stopped checking for doping. The same is certainly true for China and others only we have no proof. So we do not know, which medals are being attained by fraud.

But, if that is the kind of sports you like and the kind of moral example you want your children following, that is fine by me, as weird as your attitude seems to me.

Doping is not "political BS" and we know that Russia systematically used doping to prepare its athletes and that the host stopped checking for doping. The same is certainly true for China and others only we have no proof. So we do not know, which medals are being attained by fraud.

But, if that is the kind of sports you like and the kind of moral example you want your children following, that is fine by me, as weird as your attitude seems to me.

As far as I'm concerned athletes can dope up all they want. All I care about is watching the sports and being entertained.

I don't think so.

Moderator's Warning:
Please respect the intent of this thread which was specified in the OP. The intent is to discuss the actual events. Should you wish to discuss the Russian doping scandal, you are free to do so in one of the other threads already available here on DP. Thank you.

wow, Novak gets bounced in the first round by a guy who beat him in 2012. and the williams sisters finally lose in the doubles. Not all that unexpected-Juan Martin Del Potro-was the winner. JMDP was always seen as in the same league as the big four in terms of talent, skills and mental strength-just a bad wrist injury sidelined what certainly would have (and still might be) a hall of fame career. Yeah he was too low to be seeded but he has always been one of the most dangerous power hitters on the circuit. and his power game beat probably the best defensive player around

Yea the WVU rifle team is bad ass they have won like the past 4 NCAA rifle championships.

Yea the WVU rifle team is bad ass they have won like the past 4 NCAA rifle championships.

One of our friends was on that team in the 80s-won the pan ams in 83 and was 5th in the 84 games. That part of the country-Ky, Tenn, WVa is the rifle capital of the world. Xavier in Cincinnati was really good until a leftwing female AD cut the rifle team even though it turned out more all-americans than the rest of the athletic program combined. BTW Alaska was another powerhouse.

One of our friends was on that team in the 80s-won the pan ams in 83 and was 5th in the 84 games. That part of the country-Ky, Tenn, WVa is the rifle capital of the world. Xavier in Cincinnati was really good until a leftwing female AD cut the rifle team even though it turned out more all-americans than the rest of the athletic program combined. BTW Alaska was another powerhouse.

Well when hunting season is considered a school holiday.
J/king am from there so can say that.

Kosovo wins a gold....suck it Serbia

Meant to post this earlier, but this should (with some revisions) pretty much be the song for all Summer Olympics:

The US women did a great job last night in gymnastics.

The psychology of cycling is remarkable. When the 3 European cyclists zoomed past the American who was leading for much of the last part of the road race, there is no better proof that people working together can do better than an individual.

The psychology of cycling is remarkable. When the 3 European cyclists zoomed past the American who was leading for much of the last part of the road race, there is no better proof that people working together can do better than an individual.

sometimes that is true but a single table tennis player will be a doubles team most of the time.

Speaking of table tennis the current match between the Euro/German #1 and a Slovakian I am not familiar with is now 24-24 (game normally goes to 11) Amazing stuff Each man has had multiple game points.

as to teamwork, it was great watching the USA take second in the pairs diving. The guy who won the platform event four years ago and his much less experienced partner. and they thanked each other, the older guy, his wife and family and both thanked Christ. China-as expected-won, so much depth in diving. Also neat seeing Serena thrash Alize Cornet of France. AC has beaten Serena a few times and has a reputation for being a complete twit to play.

Tokic of SLOVENIA not Slovakia-he won the first game 39-37 which is more points than most matches that go four games run. These guys are hitting at such low margins of error-the ball is spinning 6000 RPMS and if you have the wrong angle on your bat of 1/16th of an inch on a counterloop, you miss the table

Lilly King is my my new hero.

:)

mw-768

Back
Top Bottom