• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rio 2016 Olympic event discussion thread [W:13]

squash is the most popular sport-in terms of numbers of countries with NGBs and athletes that is not in the olympics. That it is not and they are adding skateboarding is a real puzzler. The main argument is that its hard to follow on TV

Skateboarding being added is all about money and youth. Same with BMX.

I accept the comment about how judges have a huge impact which can ruin the spectacle but then we'd lose all sorts of sports if we took judges out ~ Taekwondo, boxing, gymnastics, diving, equestrian, wrestling, Greco roman wrestling etc etc and some of these are core to the Olympics from the Greek era.

Taekwando is won or lost by blows to electronic sensors on the competitors. Judges have an effect, but so do refs and umpires in most sports.

Boxing used to be scored by blows landed, not on the opinions of judges. They blew it by trying to make amateur boxing more like professional boxing. Big mistake.

Equestrian sport isn't decided by judges, except dressage, and that should definitely go. Gymnastics, diving, wrestling, synchronised swimming... all gone in the Andolympic Games.

I'd also cut swimming by half. Far too many categories and distances. Why does swimming merit so many medals? It's not a spectator sport between Olympics or Worlds, hardly has any following anywhere as far as I can see.

I would like to see 20/20 cricket added.

I would like to see 20/20 cricket added.

I watched a cricket match on ESPN 47 once for about a half hour to see what the hub bub was all about. I don't get it.

I watched a cricket match on ESPN 47 once for about a half hour to see what the hub bub was all about. I don't get it.

Try a 20/20 game. It's much faster and lasts about the same length of time a baseball game does. If you only watched an hour-and-a-half of a test match, nothing much would have happened. You could have tuned in during one of those periods of play specially designed for the spectators to eat their cucumber sandwiches and drink a cheeky glass of Pims No.1 Cup undisturbed by runs and wickets. Test match cricket's less of a sport and more of a weekend away.

20/20 is a shortened version of the game. Very fast, it's over in less than 2 hours. All about which team can be the most aggressive, quite exciting.

Taekwando is won or lost by blows to electronic sensors on the competitors. Judges have an effect, but so do refs and umpires in most sports.

Boxing used to be scored by blows landed, not on the opinions of judges. They blew it by trying to make amateur boxing more like professional boxing. Big mistake.

Equestrian sport isn't decided by judges, except dressage, and that should definitely go. Gymnastics, diving, wrestling, synchronised swimming... all gone in the Andolympic Games.

I'd also cut swimming by half. Far too many categories and distances. Why does swimming merit so many medals? It's not a spectator sport between Olympics or Worlds, hardly has any following anywhere as far as I can see.

You're after a 4 day Olympics? Again though, taking wrestling and similar sports out breaks with the original (I know we don't have some of the other events of ages past) AND some regions which don't do well in newer sports can raise their profile in sports popular in their areas such as wrestling etc.

I also think the "Andolympics" would be a bit boring - you need controversy!

I'd have cheese-rolling, pipa spitting, It's A Knockout sports and a bake-off. What's boring about that?

Nothing, but they are not world wide sports.. cheese not being common across many parts of the world it guarantees medals for richer countries. :2razz:

Nothing, but they are not world wide sports.. cheese not being common across many parts of the world it guarantees medals for richer countries. :2razz:

Any coagulated protein product will be acceptable. Table fish-ball rolling is very big in SE Asia.

Any coagulated protein product will be acceptable. Table fish-ball rolling is very big in SE Asia.

Ah but cheese has a specific property when warm which those countries using other products would never experience or have time to practice with. Still disadvantaged I'm afraid. I'd rather we stuck to wrestling and other judged sports than give in to natural advantage for richer countries. :2razz:

Back
Top Bottom