• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rio 2016 Olympic event discussion thread [W:13]

You know this would be coming... damn dopers and cheaters! Has Cavendish gotten disqualified yet? From most accounts he should not have his silver medal.

Although, I have a secret crush on Laura Trott... something about that smile..

Other riders defended Cav saying he wasn't that kind of rider.

Other riders defended Cav saying he wasn't that kind of rider.

No he aint.. but what he did to get his silver was normally illegal.. which is why there has been appeal, of which I dunno the result yet. Cav is a very unselfish person, but it is clear that he caused a crash and according to the rules he should be disqualified. Just saying..

After an impressive win over USA the Swedish woman footballer followed it up with an impressive win over Brazil in the semi-final. It maybe not be the most entertaining strategy and both games won on penalty kicks still what counts is winning especially if you are small country competing against bigger countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/aug/16/rio-olympics-2016-brazil-sweden-football

The Swedish coach Pia Sundhage have now also been involved in four Olympic medals. Sundhage served as a scout for the United States woman team, during the 2004 Olympics then USA won the gold medal and as head coach then USA won the gold medals during 2008 Summer Olympics and the 2012 Summer Olympics. Now at least silver medal with the Swedish team.

Pft Sweden is hardly a "small country" when it comes to womens football. They are presently 6th in the rankings ahead of Brazil who have the best player on the planet (some argue both male and female).

Yes Germany and the US are the big two in womens football, but they are followed by a group of 6 who are very much equal to each other... France, England, Aussies, Sweden, Japan and Brazil.

Yes I follow womens national team football.. no shame in that.

Oh and for the record .. KOM SÅ SVERGIE.. bank de skide Tysker! :)

Pft Sweden is hardly a "small country" when it comes to womens football. They are presently 6th in the rankings ahead of Brazil who have the best player on the planet (some argue both male and female).

Yes Germany and the US are the big two in womens football, but they are followed by a group of 6 who are very much equal to each other... France, England, Aussies, Sweden, Japan and Brazil.

Yes I follow womens national team football.. no shame in that.

Oh and for the record .. KOM SÅ SVERGIE.. bank de skide Tysker! :)

Yes, you are right Sweden is a much bigger country then it comes to woman’s football than men’s football. Still Brazil was a bigger favorite then Sweden especially with Marta and home field. Also Sweden female team have never been able to win an Olympic medal and Sweden lost with 5-1 against Brazil in the group stage. Still we have good players too and an experienced coach, also the home field advantage for Brazil became negative pressure in the semi-final.

Nu vinner vi över Tyskland i deras paradgren straffar:2razz:

Also this is the first Olympic there the woman Swedish participant have taken more medals then the men. Six medals for the woman so far and two for the men.

I like rugby, not a huge fan of 7's.

Did you hear NBCSN is going to be airing Premiership Rugby this season? I'm fairly excited as I usually don't really see much (or any) rugby outside of 7s.

The Brownlee brothers become the first siblings to get gold and silver in the same event and the same Olympics!

Did you hear NBCSN is going to be airing Premiership Rugby this season? I'm fairly excited as I usually don't really see much (or any) rugby outside of 7s.

NBCSN getting that was a good thing... only if the commentators are there. NBC's coverage of the Olympics has been lackluster. Which Fox would cover Aussie football more often myself.

Fabulous opening goal for Brazil in the footie final from... who else? Neymar. He looks fantastic tonight.

Brazil win the Olympic gold in football, amazing stuff.

NBCSN getting that was a good thing... only if the commentators are there. NBC's coverage of the Olympics has been lackluster. Which Fox would cover Aussie football more often myself.

Should be better then the Olympics coverage, at least I'm basing that on their Premier League coverage which is pretty good (and wayyyy better then Fox's Champions League coverage). Haven't seen anything though on who they'll use as commentators (I'd guess they might stick the guys that do the College Championship and 7s World series to do it).

Watched rhythmic gymnastics for the first time, didn't understand a thing but gotta admit that it does look pretty. :3oops:

Fallen.

If you count by medals per capita, then Britain is sixteenth, America is 40th, one behind Russia, and China is at seventy-five!

Olympic Medals per Capita

I think on that basis Jamaica must top the table, no? I think you have to discount tiny countries that win just one medal from a single talented, and usually foreign-based, individual.

One more stat, GB has won gold medals in more sports than any other country - golds in 16 different sports. Second place, US won gold in 14 different sports.

Whatever stats you use, Team GB has had an unbelievably great games. So have many, many other countries and good luck and congrats to all of them. I haven't seen vast amounts of everything, but I've really enjoyed what I've seen.

So, what sports have you watched that you wouldn't normally have seen, or maybe haven't seen before?

Me? I've watched Rugby Sevens for the first time and loved it. Really enjoyed the judo and equally hated the taekwando. I got a bit hooked by the archery, slalom canoeing and track cycling. I couldn't get into handball, water polo, synchronised swimming, rhythmic gymnastics or dressage, but hey, you can't like it all.

You're talking gold medals right? Because China has more total medals.

The US is the only country that does the medal table by total medals won. Rest of the world measures by golds.

~

So, what sports have you watched that you wouldn't normally have seen, or maybe haven't seen before?

Me? I've watched Rugby Sevens for the first time and loved it.

Been waiting for you to see the light Andy, it's a game that can easily be taught and spread around the world and needs little extra equipment to play. I hope you'll be watching the Hong Kong Sevens in future - it would be nice to have another person to discuss teams and winners with at last.

~ synchronised swimming ~

I used to disparage this event but having watched a regular BBC sport presenter who likes to try each of the sports he covers try it, I suddenly learned a huge appreciation for what the swimmers can do. To be able to thrust your torso out of the water without pushing from the bottom or even just holding yourself upside down to waggle your legs in the air "balletically" takes huge strength.

After this, I watched the Russian Gold medallists with a new admiration.

Link with video - BBC website.

I'm not a big basketball fan, but watching these Olympics I found out that Kevin Durant is really, really good. LOL

Been waiting for you to see the light Andy, it's a game that can easily be taught and spread around the world and needs little extra equipment to play. I hope you'll be watching the Hong Kong Sevens in future - it would be nice to have another person to discuss teams and winners with at last.
When are the HK Sevens? I'll definitely be watching.

I used to disparage this event but having watched a regular BBC sport presenter who likes to try each of the sports he covers try it, I suddenly learned a huge appreciation for what the swimmers can do. To be able to thrust your torso out of the water without pushing from the bottom or even just holding yourself upside down to waggle your legs in the air "balletically" takes huge strength.

After this, I watched the Russian Gold medallists with a new admiration.

Link with video - BBC website.

Sorry IC, I still don't get it. Personally I have a big downer on 'sports' that are decided by judges. It devalues the competitivity of it. Look how disastrously the boxing judges destroyed the credibility of the sport at these games. That swimming is an art form, not a sport.

And then you've got all those terrific sports that are much more widely played than rhythmic gymnastics or synchronised swimming that don't get a look in - like squash, netball, or my sport, padel. You win or you lose and you've no need to thank or blame judging bias.

Why isn't this an olympic sport?

I think on that basis Jamaica must top the table, no? I think you have to discount tiny countries that win just one medal from a single talented, and usually foreign-based, individual.

One more stat, GB has won gold medals in more sports than any other country - golds in 16 different sports. Second place, US won gold in 14 different sports.

Whatever stats you use, Team GB has had an unbelievably great games. So have many, many other countries and good luck and congrats to all of them. I haven't seen vast amounts of everything, but I've really enjoyed what I've seen.

Me? I've watched Rugby Sevens for the first time and loved it. Really enjoyed the judo and equally hated the taekwando. I got a bit hooked by the archery, slalom canoeing and track cycling. I couldn't get into handball, water polo, synchronised swimming, rhythmic gymnastics or dressage, but hey, you can't like it all.

favorite sports to watch at the olympics

table tennis
(real) Volleyball
Badminton
track
Swimming
archery
weight lifting (I remember a games where a Greek and a Turk went back and forth maybe 8 lifts each and at the end the guy not lifting was cheering for the guy who was)

Sorry IC, I still don't get it. Personally I have a big downer on 'sports' that are decided by judges. It devalues the competitivity of it. Look how disastrously the boxing judges destroyed the credibility of the sport at these games. That swimming is an art form, not a sport.

And then you've got all those terrific sports that are much more widely played than rhythmic gymnastics or synchronised swimming that don't get a look in - like squash, netball, or my sport, padel. You win or you lose and you've no need to thank or blame judging bias.

Why isn't this an olympic sport?

squash is the most popular sport-in terms of numbers of countries with NGBs and athletes that is not in the olympics. That it is not and they are adding skateboarding is a real puzzler. The main argument is that its hard to follow on TV

The World Rugby Sevens series has a range of hosts in a year but Hong Kong is the most prestigious and most highly televised - usually held in April / May. Next year's series is 7-9th April.

It's been interesting watching how New Zealand has risen to prominence in the last 10 years by offering citizenship to a wider range of islanders - even including Fijians so that they could compete with Fiji. I used to watch a lot when Serevi played more. (If you look at some of the All Black players, they are actually Fijians)

I accept the comment about how judges have a huge impact which can ruin the spectacle but then we'd lose all sorts of sports if we took judges out ~ Taekwondo, boxing, gymnastics, diving, equestrian, wrestling, Greco roman wrestling etc etc and some of these are core to the Olympics from the Greek era.

I'll say a lot are about sporting performance more than art but then when you watch a particularly amazing piece of skill in an unjudged sporting competition do we not call a particular skill "artistic?"

Back
Top Bottom