• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

RimWorld

jmotivator

Computer Gaming Nerd
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Has anyone else played this? While it has lost some screen time to my current fixation on FALLOUT SHELTER, this game will, no doubt end up with far more hours logged than FS.

The best way to describe it, for those familiar with the games being compared: Think of it as the old 2D DWARF FORTRESS with a PRISON ARCHITECT window dressing and a Sci-Fi setting.

In other words, the game is glorious! ;)

My first three sites have died horrible deaths due to my terrible mismanagement and dangerous curiosity (when you sense evil, stop digging), but each one is a learning experience that makes the next game more successful.

I'd love to trade strategies and stories with other gloriously frustrated crash site managers!

Here is an example image of the game in progress (presumably before everything goes horribly wrong):

images.jpg

Has anyone else played this? While it has lost some screen time to my current fixation on FALLOUT SHELTER, this game will, no doubt end up with far more hours logged than FS.

The best way to describe it, for those familiar with the games being compared: Think of it as the old 2D DWARF FORTRESS with a PRISON ARCHITECT window dressing and a Sci-Fi setting.

In other words, the game is glorious! ;)

My first three sites have died horrible deaths due to my terrible mismanagement and dangerous curiosity (when you sense evil, stop digging), but each one is a learning experience that makes the next game more successful.

I'd love to trade strategies and stories with other gloriously frustrated crash site managers!

Here is an example image of the game in progress (presumably before everything goes horribly wrong):

View attachment 67204538

The Dwarf Fortress reference sold me. Will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

The Dwarf Fortress reference sold me. Will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

You'll like it. We can discuss the specifics once they will no longer be spoilers. ;)

Very fun game. I haven't gotten into it as much as I have wanted so far, but I enjoy watching it on YouTube and Twitch.

OK, I had one of the best failures ever in a game like this last night and felt like sharing. It was equal parts my bungling, and ... ok it was all my bungling... (spoilery ahead!)

It all started when my potato crop was blighted just before the first harvest. I blame the abnormally dry weather... I had long since run out of food rations and had scoured the countryside for berries and such. I was avoiding hunting for the time because my long goal was to build a grand farm so I wanted to save as many animals to tame as possible. There were two herds of muffalo, and several wild turkeys that would make a grand farm.

Soon after the crops failed I received a communication from the ex-wife of one of my members who goes by the nickname "Worthy". Worthy's ex-wife had escape some space pirates and was looking for somewhere to hide. It was a tough call because Worthy was already moody from hunger, so bringing his ex-wife on the team would likely make his mood worse. I'd lie, though, if I said the reason for accepting her plea was anything other than wanting to test where such a move would lead in the team dynamic. I could almost here Worthy's pleas to not allow her because "she's crazy" or whatever and ex-husband would say.

She arrived on sight a few minutes later... and she was crazy. She was a good horticulturalist, though, so I over looked that "psychotic" trait of hers. We could get through this. We'd overcome worse........

The pirates arrived the next day, 6 strong, loitering on the other side of the hill across the map. Their loitering was to my advantage as it allowed me to set up sand bag firing positions at a choke point. I armed 4 of my settlers with the best weapons I had, a sniper rifle for Worthy, my best shot, some molotovs for Digger the miner, and two with pistols and took up positions. I let the ex and my other farmer named Uni behind to see if we could scrounge any food to stave off starvation.

It was a tense time in Crashville....

The Pirates eventually moved on my positions and my settlers put up a brilliant defense. The pirates were not entirely stupid however and eventually split into two groups and moved out of my firing arc trying to force me out of my defensive positions. I can't claim that the AI was this advance, but their move did indeed put me in quite a pickle. We were starving, after all, and all hands scrounging was what we should have been doing rather than having a standoff with some pirates.

Desperation set in and I left my defensive position with the plan of focusing fire on the best armed pirate of the north group and then whittle the group down and then repeat on the southern group. It was time consuming but it worked perfectly. By the end 5 pirates lay bleeding out in the sand, a 6th had run away. I set my soldiers back to civilian mode and they limped back to the base, bleeding, starving, but happy. Proud? They arrived at the base, opened the front door and... their blood ran cold.

I immediately received a cascade of mood change alerts before I realize what had happened. I looked around to find out what had happened and then I saw it....

Worthy's ex-wife was huddled in a dark corner of the room... eating Umi the farmer.

Capitalizing on the shock in the other settlers, the ex-wife shot my already severely wounded laborer Josh, killing him instantly. Worthy then shot his ex-wife dead. I'd like to think his mood lightened, even if just a bit.

I sat, a bit stunned. I realized that there were now just 3 settlers, and my utopian dream of a happy farm had died with the crazy woman's first bite of geologist. If I was going to survive I needed to hunt. So I found the closest muffalo herd and collected a few to be hunted and set all settler's priority to "hunt". Off they went to finally get something to eat. While they were hunting I went back to the base to start laying out the next building project, hydroponic farms, that I had researched just before the pirates arrived.

As I was laying out the hydroponic room I realized that I was hearing glass breaking and couldn't figure out why. When it dawned on me I panicked and scrolled quickly over to the hunting grounds and confirmed my worst fear.

I forgot to change my weapon assignments before sending them off to hunt so there was Digger the Miner hunting muffalos with... molotov cocktails.

The dry forest was ablaze, my settlers were trapped.. and all I could do is sit there watching them die in a fire... and laugh uncontrollably.

The end.

The website is compelling: RimWorld - sci-fi colony sim. For some reason though I thought it was a mobile game. Computer game means it will be awhile, since I just finally got Xcom 2, and am still messing around alot with Fallout 4, Hearts of Iron 4 and Stellaris. Plus I really want Offworld Trading Company. It is now on my wishlist though.

OK, I had one of the best failures ever in a game like this last night and felt like sharing. It was equal parts my bungling, and ... ok it was all my bungling... (spoilery ahead!)

It all started when my potato crop was blighted just before the first harvest. I blame the abnormally dry weather... I had long since run out of food rations and had scoured the countryside for berries and such. I was avoiding hunting for the time because my long goal was to build a grand farm so I wanted to save as many animals to tame as possible. There were two herds of muffalo, and several wild turkeys that would make a grand farm.

Soon after the crops failed I received a communication from the ex-wife of one of my members who goes by the nickname "Worthy". Worthy's ex-wife had escape some space pirates and was looking for somewhere to hide. It was a tough call because Worthy was already moody from hunger, so bringing his ex-wife on the team would likely make his mood worse. I'd lie, though, if I said the reason for accepting her plea was anything other than wanting to test where such a move would lead in the team dynamic. I could almost here Worthy's pleas to not allow her because "she's crazy" or whatever and ex-husband would say.

She arrived on sight a few minutes later... and she was crazy. She was a good horticulturalist, though, so I over looked that "psychotic" trait of hers. We could get through this. We'd overcome worse........

The pirates arrived the next day, 6 strong, loitering on the other side of the hill across the map. Their loitering was to my advantage as it allowed me to set up sand bag firing positions at a choke point. I armed 4 of my settlers with the best weapons I had, a sniper rifle for Worthy, my best shot, some molotovs for Digger the miner, and two with pistols and took up positions. I let the ex and my other farmer named Uni behind to see if we could scrounge any food to stave off starvation.

It was a tense time in Crashville....

The Pirates eventually moved on my positions and my settlers put up a brilliant defense. The pirates were not entirely stupid however and eventually split into two groups and moved out of my firing arc trying to force me out of my defensive positions. I can't claim that the AI was this advance, but their move did indeed put me in quite a pickle. We were starving, after all, and all hands scrounging was what we should have been doing rather than having a standoff with some pirates.

Desperation set in and I left my defensive position with the plan of focusing fire on the best armed pirate of the north group and then whittle the group down and then repeat on the southern group. It was time consuming but it worked perfectly. By the end 5 pirates lay bleeding out in the sand, a 6th had run away. I set my soldiers back to civilian mode and they limped back to the base, bleeding, starving, but happy. Proud? They arrived at the base, opened the front door and... their blood ran cold.

I immediately received a cascade of mood change alerts before I realize what had happened. I looked around to find out what had happened and then I saw it....

Worthy's ex-wife was huddled in a dark corner of the room... eating Umi the farmer.

Capitalizing on the shock in the other settlers, the ex-wife shot my already severely wounded laborer Josh, killing him instantly. Worthy then shot his ex-wife dead. I'd like to think his mood lightened, even if just a bit.

I sat, a bit stunned. I realized that there were now just 3 settlers, and my utopian dream of a happy farm had died with the crazy woman's first bite of geologist. If I was going to survive I needed to hunt. So I found the closest muffalo herd and collected a few to be hunted and set all settler's priority to "hunt". Off they went to finally get something to eat. While they were hunting I went back to the base to start laying out the next building project, hydroponic farms, that I had researched just before the pirates arrived.

As I was laying out the hydroponic room I realized that I was hearing glass breaking and couldn't figure out why. When it dawned on me I panicked and scrolled quickly over to the hunting grounds and confirmed my worst fear.

I forgot to change my weapon assignments before sending them off to hunt so there was Digger the Miner hunting muffalos with... molotov cocktails.

The dry forest was ablaze, my settlers were trapped.. and all I could do is sit there watching them die in a fire... and laugh uncontrollably.

The end.

Your story sold me the game and I've put over a hundred hours into in that short of time.
Freaking fantastic game, totally worth the money.

Probably the best game I've played this year.
One guy has largely been the developer of this, it makes you wonder how AAA makers can produce such huge piles of ****, compared to this.

Your story sold me the game and I've put over a hundred hours into in that short of time.
Freaking fantastic game, totally worth the money.

Probably the best game I've played this year.
One guy has largely been the developer of this, it makes you wonder how AAA makers can produce such huge piles of ****, compared to this.

I have detected a correlation between the sophistication of the graphics in a game and it's manure content.

Glad you are enjoying it! Have you ever played Dwarf Fortress?

I have detected a correlation between the sophistication of the graphics in a game and it's manure content.

Glad you are enjoying it! Have you ever played Dwarf Fortress?

I've briefly looked at it and while interesting the ui isn't as friendly as Rimworlds.
I've heard they have a textures pack for it but haven't decided to commit to it yet.

Another great game in similar form the Rimworlds is Faster than Light.
Banished is one as well, Banished being a builder game.

I've briefly looked at it and while interesting the ui isn't as friendly as Rimworlds.
I've heard they have a textures pack for it but haven't decided to commit to it yet.

Another great game in similar form the Rimworlds is Faster than Light.
Banished is one as well, Banished being a builder game.

Prison Architect is another good game in the Rimworld genre.

Has anyone tried the Royal Expansion for Rimworld yet?

It looks like a lot of fun, but I won't be playing it until I burn out on Wolcen.

Granted, looking at my ARPG history, I am horribly addicted to them but I will probably burn out in the next 20 hours of game play. :lamo

Back
Top Bottom